• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ren Tops Rankings of Most Popular Japanese Boy Names For 3rd Consecutive Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I think the most common name in anime/manga, counting only names that are usu. a girl's name, would be Sakura. If you count uni-sexual, Yuki is really common.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Kiriya's fan forever and ever.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ahhhh my current favorite character is a boy named Aoi (with that kanji). The May idol from Tsukiuta.

There's also a Ren in Tsukipro (in Soara), but with a different kanji. There's a Hina in the girls' side of Tsukiuta, the March representative, but spelled in hiragana, I think.
Also, Aoi's stage actor's name is Tatsuki, spelled with the same kanji as Itsuki. (he is the most adorable person in the world btw)
I see a lot of 陽 on that list as parts of names, but also, the August boy in Tsukiuta is You, spelled with just that one kanji. It means "sun". All their names are symbols that go with their months Anime smile;

And there's Itsuki and Haruto in StarMyu.
Lovelala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other trends observed in this year's rankings include a re-surging popularity for old-fashioned names like "Yamato," "Riku," "Tsumugi," and "Mio."

If the first 3 is because of IDOLiSH7 then lol
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
why is it not Jugem Jugem Shit-Tossing the Life of Shin-Chan’s Two-Day-Old Underwear Balmung Fezalion Isaac Schneider 1/3 True Love 2/3 Hangnail Anxiety Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It Really Ignore Calls Squid Dogfish Halibut Trout-Cod Dogfish This Is A Different Dogfish, I’m Talking About The Dogfish Shark Kaluga Ray Yuuteimiyaoukimukou pepepepepepepepepepepepe Runny Diarrhea
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The last time I named someone Ren, he stabbed me with his lightsaber
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Itsuki is popular because of initial D. Twisted Evil
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
why is it not Jugem Jugem Shit-Tossing the Life of Shin-Chan’s Two-Day-Old Underwear Balmung Fezalion Isaac Schneider 1/3 True Love 2/3 Hangnail Anxiety Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It Really Ignore Calls Squid Dogfish Halibut Trout-Cod Dogfish This Is A Different Dogfish, I’m Talking About The Dogfish Shark Kaluga Ray Yuuteimiyaoukimukou pepepepepepepepepepepepe Runny Diarrhea

That would obviously be my top choice if i were to get a monkey.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Lovelala wrote:
Quote:
Other trends observed in this year's rankings include a re-surging popularity for old-fashioned names like "Yamato," "Riku," "Tsumugi," and "Mio."

If the first 3 is because of IDOLiSH7 then lol

I was thinking that!!! Because Tsumugi is a really trending name now. A lot of characters are named that. I've seen it even in the popular game in Japan (aka A3!) which makes me think it might be that too.

I didn't know Mio + Riku were old fashion names. Mostly Mio so this is a surprise!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1