• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll's 3rd Annual Anime Awards Set for February 16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for some generic Battle Shonen to win everything
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
^Hey don't be like that Yuri on Ice won everything the first time.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Can't wait for some generic Battle Shonen to win everything
So a change from last year, and the year before
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Let’s totally not forget this is essentially a popularity awards & that even the worst characters from popular shows will end up taking all the awards just because they are from those popular shows. Now that being said, I will be mighty upset if Double Decker didn’t take at least one award.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well lest see. The first contest was the Yuri on Ice awards. the 2nd was the My Hero Academia awards. Which series will win way more awards than it deserves this time?
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling we'll see Black Clover and My Hero Academia (again) win most of the awards, but something like Megalobox will win Anime of the Year.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
"Presented by Devil May Cry 5."

Oh, I do long to see the days in which a video game event is sponsored by an anime...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alconnow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to see Golden Kamuy win something... But the chances of that happening is very low.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Kind of pleasantly surprised to see Crunchyroll is still doing this at all. With the AT&T takeover, I keep fearing they're going to stop doing events like this or going to conventions.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
One thing for sure... Best ED = spoiler[JoJo Part 5]
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This has been a kick-ass year, kicking of with the Winter Season which has got to be one of the best anime season's in history. I hope people have not forgotten about it and only vote the most recent.

Slice of Life with A Place Further Than the Universe, Laid-Back Camp, Run With the Wind, Bunny Girl (?), Asobi Asobase, School Babysitters, perhaps?

Science-Fiction, as a new category. With Galactic Heroes, Full Metal Panic, Steins;Gate 0, Darling in the Franxx, SSSS. Gridman and maybe the two SAOs as competitors.

As for Comedy I'm assuming HINAMATSURI to take it no matter what this year. That show was just too good in that category, though there's no shortage of excellent challengers either.

We also got quite a few good shows not on Crunchyroll this year, like "Best Drama" is probably all going to be non-CR series, like Violet Evergarden, After the Rain, Bloom Into You as the most obvious ones.

If they add a best Sports anime category then Megalobox is probably going to take it, maybe challenged by Run With the Wind, while Haruka Receive and Handobado is just fillers.

As for Romance, you got Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Boarding School Juliet, Tada Never Falls in Love, IRODUKU: The World in Colors, Holmes of Kyoto (?), Real Girl, Bunny Girl (?) (not to mention Violet Evergarden, Bloom Into You and After the Rain which can fit this category in addition to the drama category).

There's also tons of Isekai series, and I hope they make this its own genre so they don't get thrown into the other categories nonchalant .

You also got shows like Zombieland Saga, Cells at Work, Thunderbolt or Goblin Slayer, which I feel are deserving to be put up for something, but have a hard time fitting into any specific genre (Fantasy?).

I also hope they put up some mechanics to not make it become "My Hero Academia/Yuri On Ice"-Awards. The popularity votes got a real struggle with people who've only seen 1 show ending up voting for that show (in which case it could quickly turn into Goblin Slayer's year so to speak). Last year got saved by the yuri vote (joke) with Made in Abyss taking best of the year, where it would had been a disaster if MHA had taken that as well. A good way to avoid much of this is to not allow a series to be nominated for more than 3 categories, and probably for a longer running series to not be nominated for any categories outside "Best on-going series". This is especially true for MHA this year.

Just my short initial thoughts.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Overlord is gonna end up conquering the whole event. Calling it right now.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
As long as they actively flesh out the conteders and awards i don't care who wins.

What irks me is that certain shows end up having several nominations just because while others get next to no representation even though they'd fill the catagory better.

Like don't get me wrong MHA may fill the Shounen and "Fantasy" choice if you're calling Super Hero's fantasy but it doesn't then also need to be in Best Boy with 2 nominees and Best Girl with 2 nominees. Pick the defining genre and 1 character. Also, Best Boy and Best Girl need to be seperated into real catagories like Best Main Character Male/Female, Best Supporting Character Male/Female and then lets give the actors/actresses some love to this year with Best VA Male/Female.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
With the AT&T takeover, I keep fearing they're going to stop doing events like this or going to conventions.

...What? I'm not a fan of megacorp buyouts either, but I see no reason why that would happen. All the events they run are marketing for themselves. It'd be silly to cancel their anime-oscars unless it wasn't paying off, and if they're doing it three years in a row it must be working, in that sense.

I can't think of any particular overwhelmingly popular show from this year, other than the latest round of MHA (probably more in the stable-popularity phase instead of the breakout-hit phase of season 2?), so unless that has another blowout of wins we might actually see some diversity this time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
This has been a kick-ass year, kicking of with the Winter Season which has got to be one of the best anime season's in history. I hope people have not forgotten about it and only vote the most recent.

Slice of Life with A Place Further Than the Universe, Laid-Back Camp, Run With the Wind, Bunny Girl (?), Asobi Asobase, School Babysitters, perhaps?

Science-Fiction, as a new category. With Galactic Heroes, Full Metal Panic, Steins;Gate 0, Darling in the Franxx, SSSS. Gridman and maybe the two SAOs as competitors.

As for Comedy I'm assuming HINAMATSURI to take it no matter what this year. That show was just too good in that category, though there's no shortage of excellent challengers either.

We also got quite a few good shows not on Crunchyroll this year, like "Best Drama" is probably all going to be non-CR series, like Violet Evergarden, After the Rain, Bloom Into You as the most obvious ones.

If they add a best Sports anime category then Megalobox is probably going to take it, maybe challenged by Run With the Wind, while Haruka Receive and Handobado is just fillers.

As for Romance, you got Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Boarding School Juliet, Tada Never Falls in Love, IRODUKU: The World in Colors, Holmes of Kyoto (?), Real Girl, Bunny Girl (?) (not to mention Violet Evergarden, Bloom Into You and After the Rain which can fit this category in addition to the drama category).

There's also tons of Isekai series, and I hope they make this its own genre so they don't get thrown into the other categories nonchalant .

You also got shows like Zombieland Saga, Cells at Work, Thunderbolt or Goblin Slayer, which I feel are deserving to be put up for something, but have a hard time fitting into any specific genre (Fantasy?).

I also hope they put up some mechanics to not make it become "My Hero Academia/Yuri On Ice"-Awards. The popularity votes got a real struggle with people who've only seen 1 show ending up voting for that show (in which case it could quickly turn into Goblin Slayer's year so to speak). Last year got saved by the yuri vote (joke) with Made in Abyss taking best of the year, where it would had been a disaster if MHA had taken that as well. A good way to avoid much of this is to not allow a series to be nominated for more than 3 categories, and probably for a longer running series to not be nominated for any categories outside "Best on-going series". This is especially true for MHA this year.

Just my short initial thoughts.

I think ZLS would fall under musical or even comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1