• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Winter Shooting Wonderland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I fear the years of effort poured into it will all feel futile when people realize it's a remake of friggin’ Toki, a game that I can't imagine too many folks remember fondly.

I think Heidi is being a bit too cynical about Toki. Sure, it's not one of the all-time classics, but it's fun & unique mix of a run-&-gun & a platformer, with a truly bizarre aesthetic to help make it memorable. I still have the Genesis version (which was more a like an expanded re-imagining than a straight port) from when I was a kid & popped it in last night. Admittedly, the slower pace of the game can get grinding after some time (the Genesis version being a longer game only adds to that feel, whereas I'm sure the original doesn't feel as bad, since it's shorter), but it's still just as fun as back in the early 90s.

Also, the remake looks downright gorgeous, and it shows how much of a passion project this remake was. Admittedly, the $30 price point is a bit much for the digital version, but I think the physical "Retrocollector Edtion" helps make it worth $50 due to the various extra items, including a "friggin'" DIY mini arcade cabinet (made of wood!) that you can slot your Switch into. That's honestly one of the cooler things I've seen be added to a special edition, in my opinion.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The Yuzo Koshiro concert was sooo good! The Etrian Odyssey suite was the highlight for me, as those soundtracks are some of Koshiro's most underrated and hearing some of the first game's music performed by an orchestra was magical. However, the ActRaiser set was epic in its own way, as was the Streets of Rage one. Looking forward to the CD, especially since the OOP ActRaiser Symphonic Suite is and will always be crazy expensive.

As for new releases, Katamari Damacy Reroll is another one for the Switch this week, coming out the same day as Smash (in other words, being sent out to die).

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just as a heads-up, I'll be taking a break from the column next week, as I have scheduled surgery for a kidney stone that's been dogging me for the last six months.

Ouch. You have my sympathies, Heidi. I experienced the sheer horror of my first (and hopefully my last) kidney stone attack last year on the floor of my workplace all alone.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Arland Deluxe Pack, Last Remnant Remastered, Smash Ultimate, so many great games out right now. And with KHIII and Vesperia Definitive coming out next year, my backlog is going to have a backlog. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
-Tabata: Eh, his track record was never great, so I'm not holding my breath that after ten years of bland but functional design at best that he's going to turn out to be some diamond in the rough

-SNK: Good times. SamSho in particular is something I'm keeping my eye on considering how different the series' rhythm is

-Smash Bros: Nintendo is going to buy Christmas. Literally, just buying the holiday and renaming it Mario Day
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is off to a really good start, at least. I might pick up Vesperia next year. Who knows... maybe I'll even finish it too.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
As for new releases, Katamari Damacy Reroll is another one for the Switch this week, coming out the same day as Smash (in other words, being sent out to die).

Oof, the release lists I pore over didn’t even list this. What the hell, Namco?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The game is about 4000 yen on the Japanese PSN Store, and well worth it, in my opinion

Honestly a pretty high price tag for this sort of thing - but, I also don't begrudge them at all: They have correctly deduced shmup fans are willing to pay that much.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hajime Tabata forming its own company: Its really nice to see some new step to see what kind of new games are going to be?

SNK investment with South Korea: I am pleasantly shocked to see that SNK is investing products with Korean, i wonder if they'll have something Korean entertainment on it like K-Pop stuff in it. Very Happy

Anicent Unearth Project: I am happy to see Yuzo Koshiro composing the song on it, because i recall litsening to Street of Rage 3 games on emulation but i played on Japanese ver (the JP ver had Ash, an openly gay character that was removed in the western relaese).

As for the others, i don't have an interested on it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
SNK investment with South Korea: I am pleasantly shocked to see that SNK is investing products with Korean, i wonder if they'll have something Korean entertainment on it like K-Pop stuff in it. Very Happy

They've long had dealings in Korea, especially during the period of time where they used Korean companies post bankruptcy to shuffle around their properties (Eolith for KOF, Mega Enterprise for Metal Slug). This resulted in stuff like the Korea Team in KOF 2002 getting separate new Korean voices and Kim having more animation than seemingly everyone else, as seen with his new neutral stance featuring his dobok uniform flowing luxuriously.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

They've long had dealings in Korea, especially during the period of time where they used Korean companies post bankruptcy to shuffle around their properties (Eolith for KOF, Mega Enterprise for Metal Slug). This resulted in stuff like the Korea Team in KOF 2002 getting separate new Korean voices and Kim having more animation than seemingly everyone else, as seen with his new neutral stance featuring his dobok uniform flowing luxuriously.

I do remember about that too, they also created their own original characters for the SNK properties that we're since rejected after SNK was revived as SNK Playmore and brought their IP back (Metal Slug 4 had Trevor Spacey and Nadia Cassel, but they we're removed since SNK Playmore brought them).

Also, i am hoping these old-school characters from Korean-owned companies can brought these older characters back in action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1