• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fafner The Beyond Anime's Teaser Reveals angela's Return, 12-Episode Theatrical Run

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormanS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The entire 12 episodes will be in theatres only? So its going to be like break blade? I hope it gets released via stream or tv broadcast sooner instead of theatre -> DVD which will take much longer.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
It'll most likely be like Yamato the movie(s) will air at the cinema and then be split up and shown on TV.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
The entire 12 episodes will be in theatres only?

The article does state, "...and will first play in theaters starting next year".

I'm betting these won't be feature length, but rather about 50 minutes each, and will later be split into 2 episodes and broadcast on TV, making for another 2 cour series (as Dead Aggressor and Exodus were).

Frankly, 12 theater episodes seems like a rather long run. Can anyone else recall a single film series in Japan with that many planned episodes?
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Frankly, 12 theater episodes seems like a rather long run. Can anyone else recall a single film series in Japan with that many planned episodes?

I can only think of a few anime that had 6 ~7 but none having 12. Break blade had 6, Girls und Panzer is planned to have 6 as well and Space Battleship Yamato 2199 has about 7.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Seems like every time I'm about to forget this franchise was a thing a new series pops up. I guess it has a large but quiet fanbase? I watched half of the first season years ago. I'm curious: are the sequel series and movies fairly self-contained or is it simply a never-ending story?

More angela is always a good thing, at least!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're still making more Fafner since it seems like you never see anyone talking about it anymore.
NormanS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Seems like every time I'm about to forget this franchise was a thing a new series pops up. I guess it has a large but quiet fanbase? I watched half of the first season years ago. I'm curious: are the sequel series and movies fairly self-contained or is it simply a never-ending story?

They're continuations more or less. The Heaven and Earth movie introduces more characters have a role in the second season Exodus. The second season also introduces even more characters. The newest season "The Beyond" will have all the first season characters at an adult age i think.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm surprised they're still making more Fafner since it seems like you never see anyone talking about it anymore.

It does pretty well in Japan i think.The first blu-ray sold around 8K and the rest average around 5 to 6 thousand discs with the final blu-ray volume 12 at 5.1K. I think for a mecha anime thats pretty good. As for the English community i dont think Fafner is well known at all.
MDPorter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I saw movie and also Fafner Exodus series. Story is something like Evangelion but the best part of whole series was brilliant orchestral music by Tsuneyoshi Saito. I hope he recorded again with The Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
That Super Robot Wars bump cannot be underestimated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1