• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Manga Takes 4-Week Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H@mmerTime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 am Reply with quote
Maybe its time to throw in the towel author
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
Another hiatus. What else is new? Laughing
Serinox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
It is not really a hiatus, since Aoyama usually works during these periods. Don't forget that Aoyama usually writes and prepares storyboards for an entire case before its first chapter, and the next case is already announced to be a longer one, so he will probably prepare 5-6 chapters worth of content before the final drawings, to discuss and approve it with his editors.

Quote:

The "breaks" were often editor mandated in the past. It's not like Aoyama is not healthy, the editors simply want him to stay that way. So, no need to throw the towel.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
Also! Happy for Arai that he gets an opportunity like this to fill in for such a prolific series! He's really great and he did the adaptation of one of my favorite novel series and he's just... really good and really fun and I want him to be successful~
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
Lmao, it's funny that those who do not follow Conan are the ones often calling for Aoyama-sensei to quit. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
H@mmerTime wrote:

He's been doing this for over twenty years. Coming up with clever murder mysteries isn't like pouring yourself a cup of coffee every morning.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Lmao, it's funny that those who do not follow Conan are the ones often calling for Aoyama-sensei to quit. Laughing

Whereas those that do follow have been calling for him to finish the damned thing for decades. The man seems to have a terminal fear of conclusions.
Serinox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:

Whereas those that do follow have been calling for him to finish the damned thing for decades. The man seems to have a terminal fear of conclusions.

Considering he done several concluded short stories and two finished longer manga series in the past, that doesn't seem to be the case, no.
tuturuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
At this this rate Conan won't be finished till 2065
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Does he go to Hawaii to do his research? >_>
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Manga writers aren't machines. After becoming manga writers I wonder how many wish they could become novelists instead. Given almost all the time in the word needed to research and relax and do other things.

Personally, I'd love it if he took time out to research new motives for his criminals. Really, how many times must we be given "The victims actions caused my loved ones to suffer/die so I secretly got near him and took my time coming up with a foolproof way to kill him/her without possibly being caught" or "Sensei stole my work, so I took my time coming up with a foolproof way to kill him/her without possibly being caught."

As for the ongoing aspect... A couple years ago I thought that maybe he was gearing up for an end game (stopping at 1000 cases? 100 books?)... but he just keeps adding more mysterious back stories (Like 5 aspects of The Akai family?... Rum?)....instead of closing them down. Sure, in the manga they apparently have finally spoiler[given an identity to the leader of the Black Organization] but as far as I can tell it's actually a tiny thing really because spoiler[it's the identity of someone so obscure, barely mentioned, and presumed dead for so long that it tells you nothing of his actual current identity.] Really, they could have done it in year one and it would have changed nothing.

So it can still go on forever. And that does bug me. We're not talking about a western superhero or prime-time family comedy sitcom, we're talking about a story that should have a beginning, middle, and end... but the middle is never-ending!

The good thing I see coming out of these hiatuses is that if they can get enough of the "Tea Time" stories they can animate and plug those into the Conan time slot as specials instead of endless anime-only originals.

[I think I'll copy this post into the ongoing Conan thread in the lower section so this conversation doesn't necessarily have to end with this article]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1