• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kokkoku Anime, Plans English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! I frigging loved this series but it was underrated as hell so the fact that it's getting a dub is a really nice surprise
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means there's a chance that Killing Bites will get a home release and dub as well.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
This show had a lot of potential, but it was sooooo boring with terrible pacing that I dropped it like 9 episodes in.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Finally! Sentai was able to...

...Oh, wait, sorry, thought it said "Maison IKKOKU". Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY! I got to episode 6 in this show but amazons subtitling Job was so unbelievably horrible had to drop it and hope it got and English dub. Please please, PLEASE dub rage of bahamut virgin soul and bannana fish at the least. Those series could arguably be better in dub. Especially if they get the original rage of bahamut dub cast in.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Please please, PLEASE dub rage of bahamut virgin soul and bannana fish at the least. Those series could arguably be better in dub. Especially if they get the original rage of bahamut dub cast in.
I was asking about this awhile ago, and someone said Aniplex will get Banana Fish as they had heavily advertised it. I'm surprised that Funimation hasn't tried to get Virgin Soul since they dubbed the previews seasons, though i suppose if anyone else gets it, Sentai is the one most likely to get all or nearly all the cast back.
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Kokkoku was one of my favorite series last year but it being on Amazon was a real bummer. I'm hoping the dub will be available on Hidive/VRV so that more people can discover it.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:
Nice! Kokkoku was one of my favorite series last year but it being on Amazon was a real bummer. I'm hoping the dub will be available on Hidive/VRV so that more people can discover it.

I wouldn't put my Hope's on that just yet. Scrums wish at last check still isn't available despite getting a blu ray/dub release
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:

Everything that was on Amazon's Anime Strike channel is available now just having Prime. That change alone made it available to far more people than being on Hidive would. I understand your point, though, since I certainly wish that things on Netflix that have gotten separate home video releases would become streaming elsewhere.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem with Amazon getting the exclusive rights to an anime is that even after a show is licensed by a Western company and they put in the effort and money to dub it, the dub is always a disc exclusive. I would really like to watch the Kabaneri show dubbed, but nope, I would have to buy the blurays. The least they could do would be to let those companies stream the dub along with the Japanese version on Amazon, but that has never happened for some reason.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
FINALLY! I got to episode 6 in this show but amazons subtitling Job was so unbelievably horrible had to drop it and hope it got and English dub. Please please, PLEASE dub rage of bahamut virgin soul and bannana fish at the least. Those series could arguably be better in dub. Especially if they get the original rage of bahamut dub cast in.

+1000. Loved both shows to bits and I'd also love to rewatch them dubbed
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Yes! Finally! Sentai was able to...

...Oh, wait, sorry, thought it said "Maison IKKOKU". Razz

I wish someone had the guts to license rescue Maison Ikkoku. I would love a Blu-Ray remaster.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
My biggest problem with Amazon getting the exclusive rights to an anime is that even after a show is licensed by a Western company and they put in the effort and money to dub it, the dub is always a disc exclusive. I would really like to watch the Kabaneri show dubbed, but nope, I would have to buy the blurays. The least they could do would be to let those companies stream the dub along with the Japanese version on Amazon, but that has never happened for some reason.
Some anime shows that were originally on Amazon have had the dub later streamed on HiDive, such as the Made in Abyss dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Some anime shows that were originally on Amazon have had the dub later streamed on HiDive, such as the Made in Abyss dub.

Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, and others that Sentai has streamed on HiDive in English were never “exclusively licensed” but Amazon. Sentai licensed the shows and leased the streaming rights out to Amazon. Sentai kept the master license.

In the case of Scum’s Wish and others, Amazon actually licensed the shows and obtained exclusive rights for the stream. We don’t know if Sentai sublicensed Home Video right’s from Amazon or from the Japanese production committee. In either case, it’s unlikely that Sentai will be able to stream the shows at any time in the near future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1