• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Trans Allies Team Up to Raise US$300,000 on Donkey Kong 64 Charity Stream

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
2019 is off to a great start (if we ignore the whole government being shut down in the US thing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I really dont like the idea of a Congress person being there. That creates a statement that says this is to selfishly further a political agenda vs healthily supporting trans people.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Mermaid is a pretty controversial group. That's a.. bold endorsement from ANN there

#854626 wrote:
I really dont like the idea of a Congress person being there. That creates a statement that says this is to selfishly further a political agenda vs healthily supporting trans people.

Isn't she the one who's trying to be the next Hillary Clinton when it comes to being the hip and cool "how do you do, fellow kids" politician? But, yeah, it's odd a congress person can be so easily brought in and swayed to promote random things.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:

It does certainly give the impression of a political stunt.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

It does certainly give the impression of a political stunt.

Yeah the the cynical, self-serving political stunt of...signal boosting a charity fundraiser and then making a short public appearance to directly answer questions about policy relating to the demographics said fundraiser was meant to help.

Like, if we're focused on healthily supporting trans people, isn't having an elected official in a position of legislative power taking the subject seriously a good step in that direction?
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:

She was half-jokingly invited, but then, much to the surprise of everyone actually came. It was amusing and entertaining and didn't seem like it was to further a political agenda, though she did speak on her beliefs on trans rights and the government shutdown (among other matters, such as the Nintendo 64 being the best Nintendo console).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JapariBus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Serious question: What does this have to do with anime? Why am I seeing this?
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
JapariBus wrote:

ANN does cover video game news but I gotta agree this is a stretch even for video game news.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't she the one who's trying to be the next Hillary Clinton when it comes to being the hip and cool "how do you do, fellow kids" politician? But, yeah, it's odd a congress person can be so easily brought in and swayed to promote random things.

Isn't she only 28? she's not that old considering you have 40 year old's that play and make video games.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
JapariBus wrote:

Turns out some Anime News Network people were on the livestream as well so I imagine that's why it's being promoted here. You'd think the article would be transparent in saying that ANN staff members were personally involved with this live stream since it seems like a bit of conflict of interest to me.

GamerTimeUSA wrote:
Isn't she only 28? she's not that old considering you have 40 year old's that play and make video games.

I looked it up, and yeah, she's 29. Although I was thinking it's more how her political image is trying to appeal to the young audience than her actual age. Besides, it's not like those old game developers and players can't be super cringy at times as well Laughing
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Starting with a goal of $500 and ending up raising over $340,000 is pretty incredible and I hope the money raised is able to help those it was raised for.

On a sour note, I think I have to agree with others in this thread, I'm struggling to see why this is being reported on ANN.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I looked it up, and yeah, she's 29. Although I was thinking it's more how her political image is trying to appeal to the young audience than her actual age.

Most politicians try to appeal to people their own age because those are the people they can most easily relate to. AOC's appeal to younger people only seems unusual because she's the youngest person in congress, so naturally her support base is younger too.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see the gaming community get in the news for doing something GOOD for a change. The news can often give the impression that the majority of people who play video games are toxic jerks, and seeing gamers make such an effort to help people in need is an important reminder that this isn't so.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Turns out some Anime News Network people were on the livestream as well so I imagine that's why it's being promoted here.

Nah, we wrote it up because that's a crazy amount of money to raise single-handedly for a video game stream.

Jake did appear on the stream at one point after I assigned this article to our writer last night. I didn't include mention of him or any of the other internet folks that showed up because they aren't celebrities/politicians/public figures.

Also this is the second intentional use of a weasly term in this thread by you. This isn't be promoted or endorsed. It was news and Donkey Kong is a Nintendo property. There's articles about it all over the internet right now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
GamerTimeUSA wrote:

I looked it up, and yeah, she's 29. Although I was thinking it's more how her political image is trying to appeal to the young audience than her actual age. Besides, it's not like those old game developers and players can't be super cringy at times as well Laughing

Yeah, I think a livestream of a N64 game that came out in 1994 is aimed more at Millennials, especially on the older end of the generation, rather than teenagers or kids, which is to say people in AOC's age range. Not exactly the same as a grandmother in her 70's trying to get out the vote by referencing Pokemon GO.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah, I think a livestream of a N64 game that came out in 1994

I think you (as well as the article) may have your dates mixed up as DK64 was released in 1999. You might have been thinking of the first Donkey Kong Country game which did release in 1994.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3