• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hollywood Alita: Battle Angel Film Tracks to Earn US$50 Million at U.S. Box Office

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spark67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
No strange, the trailers are very boring, do not explain anything about the movie or the world, only a song about being an angel, and wharever. Is very hard for the fans of Yukito Kishiro Manga to explain why this movie is good, even without the complexity of the manga.
Probably i will not get "flan" after this movie.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow that is... really low. So bad.... Very grim and depressing.

The 5 of us will be going to see it so we are supporting it the best we can.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
It's been getting great word of mouth reviews from early/international screenings, but critical reception is very mixed (57% RT currently).

I've also heard it's shockingly faithful to the source material.

Shame that it's landing in the January/February wasteland and the marketing doesn't seem to quite convey the positives of the movie. The Motorball clip is the only teaser I've seen that seemed to universally excite people.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Alita is probably only able to make even this much because it's been released in January. The film would be destroyed if it was released during the summer blockbuster season.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 am Reply with quote
Such doom-saying and it isn't even out yet...

I'll save any condemnation I may have until after it's released and I've been to the theater.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite. I'm totally clueless about how box office tracking works, but... how did they have an estimate two weeks before the movie opens?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
Zac gave it a great review.

Movie is not even out yet, so where is this 'supposed' tracking is coming from. Sounds more like they visited a fortune teller.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, it's mainly an estimation based on ticket pre-order sales and the like, they're usually pretty accurate.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
Trailer I saw was crap, so had no interest until reading ANN's review. Still prob won't see it at the cinema, though. I'm guessing they're predicting a flop in part because Valerian bombed in the US.
Alkzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
That really is disappointing news. I always hope anime/manga/LNs/VNs/etc. and their associated content perform well. I'm also concerned about broader ramifications this could have on future adaptations for such content, considering the other recent, poor performing Hollywood adaptations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Alita is probably only able to make even this much because it's been released in January. The film would be destroyed if it was released during the summer blockbuster season.

I don't think so. February is a Dump Month. People tend to save money in February in particular to pay off holiday debt. Movie studios know to release movies during the holiday season or summer break. They were anticipating that Alita wouldn't fare well, unfortunately.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I don't think so. February is a Dump Month. People tend to save money in February in particular to pay off holiday debt. Movie studios know to release movies during the holiday season or summer break. They were anticipating that Alita wouldn't fare well, unfortunately.

February used to be a Dump Month, January still is.
Until they tried dumping the first Deadpool in February (and covered it with a "Valentine's" joke), and then the Fifty Shades movies used Valentine's to clean up with their demographics...
Now, studios with a questionable but possible genre sleeper, like Black Panther, consider February the "new March" especially since it coincides with school vacation week. A fact Disney used to exploit back in the early 00's, when they put their hit-and-run cable kiddy-matinee movies in for a quick week's money.

Also, Alita was supposed to be Fox's big stake in last Christmas's Aquaman/Mary Poppins/Spiderman/Bumblebee races (or its Christmas Day dump), but now they found a less crowded date just as dumpy.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if I'd see this before, but given some of the talk recently it sounds like it's worth the time.

I wonder if it would've helped at all if Alita were a little more...relevant? The manga's been out there, but there's been no new anime, as I understand it possibly due to Cameron owning the rights. If there'd been a half decent one, maybe it would've helped.

Of course that could've just as well been an '09 12 episoder nobody'd remember, so...who knows?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
No wonder Fox is being absorbed into Disney.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. I don't really know much about the series before hand. It was a decent b-movie popcorn film with some interesting body horror moments. Would be interested in seeing a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3