• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Evolution Went Horribly Wrong [2019-02-09]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gendo appears to be working with SEELE to transform humanity into one giant, gelatinous blog of consciousness

So... he wants to invent the internet?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
How did coordinator go horrible wrong? Everything went super fine, they made people way better at everything and since it's something that can be done to kid within one or two generation you could have the entire human race coordinator, eliminating the problem entirely. Sure it's a rough patch in the show, but in the future things will be way better.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Orochimaru isn't evolution. He is not changing his DNA, and his abilities would not be passed on to his children. He is just straight up experimentation/bio-cybernetics.

Not sure I would count SEELE (Eva) as evolution, either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I would add the spoiler[Hideauze] from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet to the list.

And Genos is not a robot, he's a cyborg.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Upon reading the list title, the very first series that popped into my head was Devil Lady, and lo and behold to my pleasant surprise it was not only part of the list but deemed #1! Now that it's getting a blu-ray release in Japan, I can only hope that someone in America might pick it up again. It's not a "happy" story by any means, but it's still refreshingly not as bleak as Devilman Crybaby--either way it's a classic in its own right (especially if you're a yuri fan).

Also, seeing Gundam Seed part of the list is making me wonder when the heck we'll finally get a release announcement from Right Stuf.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
How did coordinator go horrible wrong? Everything went super fine, they made people way better at everything and since it's something that can be done to kid within one or two generation you could have the entire human race coordinator, eliminating the problem entirely. Sure it's a rough patch in the show, but in the future things will be way better.

You weren't paying attention to Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny then.
It was showcased that quite a few attempts at the pick your own baby failed and left parent's/investored outraged and distraught.

There were improvements made and yes they're technically "superior" humans but that doesn't preclude it from going wrong.

Last edited by TexZero on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
unready

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The old poll: What is your favorite robot side-kick?
4. Canti (FLCL)
13. TV Set (FLCL)

Those are the same character, except apparently some people didn't know Canti's name.

It's sad to see neither R. Dorothy Wayneright (Big O) nor Pino (Ergo Proxy) on the list.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
If there was going to be a Gundam entry, I'd think Newtypes would be a much better choice.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Devil Lady, highly underrated IMO. I wish it was remastered on blu-ray.

Top Gun wrote:
If there was going to be a Gundam entry, I'd think Newtypes would be a much better choice.

SEED took that aspect from the UC and made it even more of a focus and being even more dark & racist I found. So I actually would choose Coordinators over Newtypes for this subject.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Like I posted prior, that's already happening. It's coming out in Japan in March, but it'll be a much while longer before it makes its way over here assuming it gets license-rescued.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
meiam wrote:

It was showcased that quite a few attempts at the pick your own baby failed and left parent's/investored outraged and distraught.

There were improvements made and yes they're technically "superior" humans but that doesn't preclude it from going wrong.

Wasn't paying attention to destiny that's for sure, as far as the mistake in SEED mentioned they were pretty minor, like wrong hair color or something. Definitely doesn't off set the whole "everybody is a genius" thing.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed the good doctor's goofy monologue from Darling in the FranXX didn't make the list. Twisted Evil
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
TexZero wrote:
meiam wrote:

Wasn't paying attention to destiny that's for sure, as far as the mistake in SEED mentioned they were pretty minor, like wrong hair color or something. Definitely doesn't off set the whole "everybody is a genius" thing.

It does when the technology used leads to wars, hate crimes and premature deaths due to not fully understanding the impacts of manipulating genes.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Just realized most of my favorite couples aren't anything I'd call 'ideal'. Isaac and Miria (and I was going to add Shinra and Celty. Maybe even Felix and Chane) are definitely favorites of mine but they're kind of fucked up too. Instead I went for the more romantic Ryuuji and Taiga, Shirou and Rin and Araragi and Senjougahara.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Levonr wrote:

Like I posted prior, that's already happening. It's coming out in Japan in March, but it'll be a much while longer before it makes its way over here assuming it gets license-rescued.

Awseome, I didn't hear the news. Now I demand Fushigi Yugi, Trigun and Kenshin on blu-ray Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3