• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blend S Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I always thought Dino was the weakest character since I consider hin the most one note...and his jerky moments can be annoying, too.

Unfortunately, he gets a lot of spotlight in some epiosdes, kinda overshadowing the fact that this is supposed to be Maika's story.

Either way, still a fine little show. Hideri really is the star in this one, and I don't think it's an issue with him being a crossdresser since I think they treat this sort of thing well here, especially in a comedy.

A-1 actually had a nice streak of crossdressing characters with Hideri and Astolfo, so...nice on them. Shame they then have to go back to the rape-obsessed SAO and force themselves to not even change a bit of it.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Hideri really is the star in this one

He barely did anything

One of the most overrated characters in all of anime. The internet obsesses over feminine looking characters that have penises WAY too much.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
I feel that not having a dub is a missed opportunity for a show so popular - albeit for the wrong reason.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I feel that not having a dub is a missed opportunity for a show so popular - albeit for the wrong reason.

I thought Blend-S was a fun show. It was nothing amazing but it was certainly enjoyable to watch. I liked it because it made a nice change of pace from the other shows I was watching at the time. Plus, I really like Maika's character design, and I grok the premise of her character too. Often times I come across as being angry at someone or something when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

That said, your quote makes me think I'm missing something! I didn't recall much hype about Blend-S, though maybe ignorance is bliss in this case?
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I can never forget the memes people made from the OP. Even now it still makes me laugh
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I can never forget the memes people made from the OP. Even now it still makes me laugh

Those were some of the best parts of the show!

OK, to be fair... as a comedy, it mostly worked. Where it kept going off the rails was in repeatedly trying (and failing) to have some form of plot/plot progression.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I tried liking the show, but I just couldn’t stick with it as they kept ramping up the Dino and Maika interactions, which honestly just creeped me the hell out.

Also I felt like they blew their biggest comedic load early when they had Maika tap into her full dominatrix mode shockingly early.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
That said, your quote makes me think I'm missing something! I didn't recall much hype about Blend-S, though maybe ignorance is bliss in this case?
You could be right there, I remember someone mentioning it once in a conversation about Eromanga Sensei around late 2017, then under a list of Aniplexs release schedule. And that was basically it until today.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The release by Aniplex of America only includes the Blu-Ray version and does not include an English dub. The only on-disc extras are the web versions of the next episode previews and an assortment of commercials and promo videos. Included in the lightweight cardboard slipcase is a 20-page booklet featuring character profiles, café menu item profiles, and a few pages of art card-style portraits. It's overpriced for what you're getting, but that's Aniplex releases for you.

US version: $100
Bonus: See above.
Personally those US physical bonus materials are not that bad. There are tons of bare-bone anime BD have dubs, but no significant physical bonus other than sleeve case. Even licensed shows are going slowly toward collector's market. Dub or physical bonus? it's up to eyes (or ears) of beholder.

That is pretty cheap considering Japanese single BD volumes cost four times than US version. Few years fast forward, it'll go out of print and some joe is going to put it on auction as collector's item. It all comes down to supply & demand. Print only handful and sell them at high price while demand is hot.

Japanese version: 7000 yen X 6 volumes = 42000 yen (Roughly $400)
Bonus materials:
-Sleeve case with exclusive cover art for each volume
-12 page booklet for each volume (estimated 72 pages total)
-Audio CD for each volume covering (OST, audio drama, and character songs)
-Audio Commentaries
-Chipboard Storage Box
-Music video
-No subtitle
Naiera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This show doesn't have much substance, but it sure as heck is funny. I'm six episodes in at this point.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I thought Blend-S was a fun show. It was nothing amazing but it was certainly enjoyable to watch. I liked it because it made a nice change of pace from the other shows I was watching at the time. Plus, I really like Maika's character design, and I grok the premise of her character too. Often times I come across as being angry at someone or something when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

By “wrong reason”, I meant the show was most famous for the memes surrounding the show’s OP and not the show itself (I haven’t seen it).
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:
Hideri really is the star in this one

He barely did anything

One of the most overrated characters in all of anime. The internet obsesses over feminine looking characters that have penises WAY too much.

So? What's wrong with that? Hideri's still awesome. Just deal with it. He constantly added some of the funniest jokes in this anime.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
By “wrong reason”, I meant the show was most famous for the memes surrounding the show’s OP and not the show itself (I haven’t seen it).

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Blend S was pretty good. I probably would have added to my list, until Aniplex got it.
Good series, but not $100 good for 12 episodes.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was one of the better CGDCT shows.
Mostly due to the fact, it doesn't do that "yuri bait" BS that pretty much all these kinds of show do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2