• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Force Game's Launch Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
No English dub, no purchase. I'm not rewarding Bandai Namco for another half finished job of localization. I can't stand playing games with subtitles. It's nearly impossible to actually understand what the characters are saying as I'm playing the game.

It's great that most of the characters have their original Japanese voice actors, but it's a shame that there's no English dub. A good amount of these characters were in long running shows with English dubs. Oh well.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Not interested in the "Big Three with some SJ side characters" game. While I would have loved to play this, none of those characters appeal to me. Oh well. I just find it kind of sad that almost half this roster comes from just 3 series alone.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
^ I agree. I love Dragonball and One Piece but they should've been limited to 4-5 characters and added some more series in. I mean there's no Gintama c'mon.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile my biggest issue is still the art style. I just can't get used to it.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Not worth it.

Barring the roster issue which in itself is a huge issue. This game is just looking bad all around. The uncanny valley cgi graphics, the story, the gameplay, the cutscenes(social media is having a field day with this one), the animations, the pre fight interactions, the suppose pandering to western audiences, the lack of Jump history acknowledgment despite being a game that is suppose to celebrate 50 years it is just a disaster.

J Stars wasnt great but for a game that came out 5 years ago its leaps and bounds better than Jump Force. Then theres JUS which will always be the gold standard from now on.

Bandai Namco dropped the ball big time on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
No English dub, no purchase. I'm not rewarding Bandai Namco for another half finished job of localization.

Does the game have massive and obvious errors in the subtitles?

Then it's not half finished localization job based solely on the game not having an English dub.

Mr.Shonen wrote:

J Stars wasnt great but for a game that came out 5 years ago its leaps and bounds better than Jump Force.

If no one is talking about it 5 years after release than it wasn't leaps and bounds better.
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
No English dub, no purchase. I'm not rewarding Bandai Namco for another half finished job of localization. I can't stand playing games with subtitles. It's nearly impossible to actually understand what the characters are saying as I'm playing the game.

It's great that most of the characters have their original Japanese voice actors, but it's a shame that there's no English dub. A good amount of these characters were in long running shows with English dubs. Oh well.

You could thank licensing issues for that, since the dubs of most of those shows were done by different companies
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, not having native dubs for anime games is the norm in 98% of all countries, where japanese or english is not the main language, and no one complains.

Also, I think this would be pretty difficult in this particular case due to all the different licences.

I'm pretty hyped for the game, preordered the european CE with the diorama and can't wait playing!

Remember that there are also a bunch of DLC characters planned, so we will have almost 50 different characters. Pretty neat for a brand new game.

Really hope this will be succesfull enough to warrant a sequel with even more characters from more different jump licences.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gundam0084 wrote:
No English dub, no purchase. I'm not rewarding Bandai Namco for another half finished job of localization.

Does the game have massive and obvious errors in the subtitles?

Then it's not half finished localization job based solely on the game not having an English dub.

I completely respect your statement, BadNewsBlues. I just have a different opinion. Regarding a game with spoken dialogue, I don't consider it fully localized until it has voice acting in the language for the market it is sold in. If this was just a game available via import, this wouldn't be a problem. I just don't respect that Bandai Namco marketed it outside of Japan and never attempted to add English voice acting as an option. I understand the licensing issues, but they could have worked through them for such a momentous crossover. I feel like this issue will definitely limit sales of this title outside of Japan, but perhaps the overall quality of the game will negatively impact sales in a greater fashion.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
Meanwhile, not having native dubs for anime games is the norm in 98% of all countries, where japanese or english is not the main language, and no one complains.

Also, I think this would be pretty difficult in this particular case due to all the different licences.

Regarding this particular game, I find the lack of an English dub more painful since the majority of the characters in the game have shows that actually have English dubs. This same point would be made if I the majority of the characters also had Spanish or German (etc...) dubs from the same shows. I can't speak to that point since I don't speak either language so my interest wouldn't be for those dubs.

I find it hard to believe that Bandai Namco couldn't make deals regarding the characters tied to different licenses in the U.S. The fact that they didn't pull out all the stops for this crossover shows that they don't care. They've been doing this with the majority of their releases (One Piece, Sword Art Online, etc...) that aren't tied to Naruto or DBZ. I just don't think this is acceptable.

The last major fighting styled game (mostly played like a scrolling shooter) I played with subtitles was WarTech:Senko no Ronde back around 10 years ago. The game had full English subtitles, but I could never understand what the characters were saying during fights. Why is that? It's basically impossible to read the bottom of the screen while you're trying to fight the other character. All I knew was that the characters were uttering gibberish at various octaves until the fight was over. Gundam vs Gundam actually came out in the U.S. a few years ago. Once I heard that there wouldn't be any sort of English dub I completely lost interest. My favorite anime based games are Gundam: Federation vs Zeon and Gundam vs Zeta Gundam from back in the mid 2000's. Both games had full English dubs, and they were much better for it.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant. I respect your stance, Narutofreak1412.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
I completely respect your statement, BadNewsBlues. I just have a different opinion. Regarding a game with spoken dialogue, I don't consider it fully localized until it has voice acting in the language for the market it is sold in.

Even when the voice acting is terrible enough to actually lead to any further games not having it Or other circumstantial reasons that keep a dub from happening?

Gundam0084 wrote:

I feel like this issue will definitely limit sales of this title outside of Japan, but perhaps the overall quality of the game will negatively impact sales in a greater fashion.

Welp.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
It's a shame when poorly produced dubs come out for games. I would assume that such a thing wouldn't have happened for this game if Bandai Namco was actually fully behind it. Even if a game had a poorly produced dub, I would still think it was more fully localized than a sub only game.

Regarding Jump Force itself, it looks like Bandai Namco phoned it in. In the end, perhaps more people will remember it for being mediocre instead of it not having an English dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1