• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Which forgotten or underappreciated manga do you think deserve a big splashy omnib

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Just discussed this recently on another topic, but I would love to see From Far Away make a return. Isekai is super popular again, and this was a great shoujo series that really flew under the radar for many. I own the series myself, but would be great for more people to discover it!

On that note, I'd love to see Red River also make a re-appearance, as it was one that I personally missed out on. I had a hard time finding a lot of the older volumes for it, so never got into it.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the omnibus format (rather buy individual volumes), but my top 5 goes to:

Mahoraba (Akira Kojima)
Short Cuts (Furuya Usamaru)
17-sai. (Kamata Y., F. Seiji)
Koi Kaze (Yoshida Motoi)
Subete ni Iya Girl (Koji Rokunishi)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I don't like the omnibus format (rather buy individual volumes), but my top 5 goes to:

Mahoraba (Akira Kojima)

I was just going to say the usual Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou but Mahoraba had some fantastic chapters, reveals and that ending that never made it into the anime.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Just discussed this recently on another topic, but I would love to see From Far Away make a return. Isekai is super popular again, and this was a great shoujo series that really flew under the radar for many. I own the series myself, but would be great for more people to discover it!

On that note, I'd love to see Red River also make a re-appearance, as it was one that I personally missed out on. I had a hard time finding a lot of the older volumes for it, so never got into it.

I know, right?! I know Red River and From Far Away are all available digitally, which is good, but their print copies are so expensive and hard to find anymore. I own the entirety of From Far Away, with only two volumes on Kindle because they're OOP. I think it'd be great if they got re-released with better, cleaner paper and improved translations or something, that way new fans can get a taste of them.

There's also a CRAP TON of manga that seriously DESERVE to be released or re-released here, omnibus format or not.

1. Haruka: Beyond The Stream of Time (It's not even available digitally!!! Viz Media, put this on Kindle already!!! The print volumes have been OOP for years and are super expensive!)
2. Pavane for a Dead Girl (Someone could rescue this from TokyoPop)
3. Koi Cupid
4. Kon Kon Kokon
5. Beyond The Beyond (I think TokyoPop licensed this at one point but never finished it. It's pretty well liked and I'm sure it's fans would appreciate a completed re-release. It's also an isekai manga, only for kids)
6. Cantarella (Go! Comi released a bunch of this before they shut down, just two volumes short of completing the series!)
7. Hibiki's Magic (Another obscure one that TokyoPop never finished or published beyond two volumes)
8. More Starlight To Your Heart
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree with the feeling that Shotaro Ishinomori's works deserve more than either old releases of reboots done by other artists that are now out-of-print, or are left to rot digitally over at Comixology. For such an iconic & influential creator, the fact that there's next to nothing of his manga actually released in English legally is absurd. Also agree with Ashita no Joe, but the chances of that ever being given an honest chance here are effectively slim to none, and the same goes for fellow boxing manga "pillars" Hajime no Ippo & Ring ni Kakero. It's annoying to think that Viz that has fully released every single Shonen Jump manga that ever received a full-color final chapter, even Slam Dunk, except for the very first one, and likely never will. Yes, some of the portrayals of other countries are really blatantly stereotyped, but that would simply require a Tezuka-esque notice at the start of volumes that contain them, explaining the way things were back in the 70s; even TokyoPop did that for Cyborg 009.

As for my personal picks, I will always say Bastard!! by Kazushi Hagiwara. I'm still annoyed that Viz just quietly dropped it, even cancelling a scheduled release for Volume 20 that even got listed on online stores, and since then there have been the kanzenban releases, which even include redone artwork. I'd easily rebuy the entire manga if we got those kanzenbans, and I'm sure many would say the same if Kodansha was to ever put out Shaman King's kanzenban release, complete with the proper ending it finally received.

Another one that confuses me is why Viz has yet to give Baoh by Hirohiko Araki another release. Considering how big JoJo is now, it's the perfect chance to give his previous work, which is now a heavy cult-classic, a nice hardcover release as a single tome, like what Viz did for Abara recently. Baoh is a ton of wild, insane, & gory fun, and I'd love to see a new, unflipped release with a new translation.

Finally, my last pick would be Eat-Man by Akihito Yoshitomi, which Viz did release only two volumes of back in the 90s. It remains one of the all-time favorite manga, and a few years ago did receive its own 10-volume kanzenban release, which I'd love to own. There's also the sequel, The Main Dish, but I can live with at least a complete release of the original series.
Apashi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. What I want most is an unflipped, proper release of Tetsuwan Atom. It is one of the most influential series of all time and as far as I know, the only print release we still have is Dark Horse's awkward flipped version. And yes, I would love to see a proper re-release of Phoenix and Buddha. I would *really* like to see more use of the actual cover illustrations and not pop-art covers for all the classics too.
On a very personal note, I would spend all my savings to have Viz translate Digimon V-tamer. I would even settle for a digital only version for that.
But all in all, I would really like to see nice reprints of every popular manga that are long OOP and were never released unflipped or unedited. I know that isn't feasible, but I would like it.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
If we can include manwha, I still hold a fragmented shard of hope for Ragnarok. An omnibus set and release the rest of the series. Yeah, never going to happen. Sad
SolHerald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I would love for Lupin III to be rereleased. TokyoPop never finished if I recall, and the paperbacks now sell for ridiculously stupid prices.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Be it omnibus or digital only, the romcom "Pastel" comes to mind.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of omnibus volumes either, but if there's any manga that could potentially do better as one, I would pick Doraemon and KochiKame. Due to the Doraemon's sheer length (45 volumes, plus 6 additional ones containing stories previously not released within the original 45 volumes; the North America digital release on Amazon Kindle splits these up as a whopping 200 volumes!), releasing it in a omnibus format could help avoid it being so daunting to collect in its entirety.

As for KochiKame, what's probably the most popular Jump title in Japan, and one of the longest manga ever made (200 volumes) deserves a chance in some shape or form in North America. Releasing it in an omnibus format would definitely help out a lot. Even if they end up releasing it as "best of" compilations, I'll still buy it anyway.

My most-wanted licensing list are:

1. Danchi Tomoo: Considering how slice of life manga aimed at adults do reasonably well here, it baffles me that no North American manga publisher has ever thought about licensing it. I guess its sheer length (33 volumes) and the art style are the culprits, but I think it has potential to find an audience here.

2. Fujiko Fujio's other works: Doraemon (their most popular one) has managed to get released in North America, so I think their other works deserve a shot here as well.

3. Super Mario-kun: There's really no reason why this one should continue to be unlicensed. Yeah it's got Japanese-centric joke and it's long (45+ volumes), but come on, it's Mario! Mario fans would eat this up!

4. Puu-Neko: This one looks kinda bizarre, so it might do well with those who are into random, nonsensical slice of life manga, such as Nichijou.

5. Mysterious Joker: I can see this one doing well with kids. It's not too Japanese and it's got enough action and an intriguing story to keep them interested.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
My top ten manga I'd like to see licensed here for the first time or re-released in an omnibus would be:

1. Wedding Peach by Sukehiro Tomita and Yao Nozawa
2. Venus Wars by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko
3. Choujin Sentai Jetman: Toki wo Kakete by Akiko Fujii
4. Dennou Sentai Voogie's Angel by Aoi Takeuchi (which I think had two series)
5. Fight! Iczer-1 by Aran Rei
6. Saint Seiya by Masami Kurumada (the original with proper translations/names)
7. Saint Seiya: Next Dimension by Masami Kurumada
8. You're Under Arrest! by Kousuke Fujishima
9. Bubblegum Crisis: GO! GO! Sabers by Tokio Kazuka
10. Ghost Sweeper Mikami by Takashi Shiina

Any good choices I listed, or are there any that won't ever get re-released or licensed? I never even read some of them, but did find #9 on Amazon.
MyBlueberryKnights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunny by Taiyo Matsumoto
and
Saturn Apartments by Hisae Iwaoka
Both deserve beautiful, large-format, hardcover omnibus editions. They're absolute gems that I feel have fallen totally off the radar but deserve a larger audience.

Neko Ramen by Kenji Sonishi was a very cute and underrated short series that would be perfect for an all-in-one edition. Cute cat manga seems to be a niche that's doing fairly well right now.

Also can we get some fresh editions of the Tenchi Muyo manga? I don't believe the original series ever got published in right-to-left format in the west, and some volumes of The All-New Tenchi Muyo have become fairly pricey. With the recent releases of the light novels and Ai Tenchi Muyo, the timing might be right: it'd be great for new fans to check out, and something nice for veteran fans who are starved for quality Tenchi.

Last edited by MyBlueberryKnights on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
I would love for Lupin III to be rereleased. TokyoPop never finished if I recall, and the paperbacks now sell for ridiculously stupid prices.

I think they finished the first one but not Shin Lupin III. I'd really love to see both of them get a new release, and I'd buy any of the spin-off series by other artists in a heartbeat, too, especially the M and the T series. But the chances for those are probably below zero.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd like an omni of the last remaining unpublished volumes of Strawberry 100%.

SJ please! Crying or Very sad
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I already have my omnibus title I thought I'd never see: the 3-volume Dragon Half, published by Seven Seas. It's an admirable job, with all the omake and color plates reproduced. (And if you're wondering, the manga is as entertainingly idiotic as the anime Smile).

As for Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, I still have my old Viz copy of volume 1, and I'd pick up the rest in heartbeat! Some of its humor is a bit dated (it was published in 1990 after all), but other parts can still be appreciated even now, as to the general source of the humor if not the specifics.

Lastly, the top of my must-have list would be Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo.

MyBlueberryKnights wrote:
Also can we get some fresh editions of the Tenchi Muyo manga? I don't believe the original series ever got published in right-to-left format in the west, and some volumes of The All-New Tenchi Muyo have become fairly pricey. With the recent releases of the light novels and Ai Tenchi Muyo, the timing might be right: it'd be great for new fans to check out, and something nice for veteran fans who are starved for quality Tenchi.

Roger that. A non-flipped edition would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4