• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samsung Cancels Production of New BD Players in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I am not liking the movement of less physical media. Call me a dinosaur for still even buying music physically. I just am not a fan of the temes of services agreement on digital downloads. I like steaming, but physical media is awesome. I only get a digital download of any product when their is literally no other option.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I am not liking the movement of less physical media. Call me a dinosaur for still even buying music physically. I just am not a fan of the temes of services agreement on digital downloads. I like steaming, but physical media is awesome. I only get a digital download of any product when their is literally no other option.

i agree.

I like ownign a tangible thing.

those "digital" copies will never always be available (if owner doesnt pay the server, ends service, or WW3 happens) while a REAL copy will always be there.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I basically feel the same way as well you two. I would like to own physical copies of the shows I like to watch so I have the security to know I can see them anytime without being under the mercy of expiration dates for streaming licenses. With that said if I can at least download the shows I like on my computer then I would be fine with that.

I wonder, for those who prefer to stream their favorite shows/movies as oppose to owning the DVDs/Blu-rays will they get upset if there came a time when they can no longer do so because either those shows they enjoy have expired or something happens to the streaming website they watch them under. I suppose they might turn to unofficial websites for streaming (assuming if they can find those shows on those websites or those websites do not get taken down), but for those who are against the idea of turning to unofficial websites for their streaming services out of a moral reason would end up regretting not getting a DVD/blu-ray copy of their favorite shows/movies? To me it seems like something those people are not taking into consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
But... but I like collecting the shinies. Anime cry
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^ Heh! Heh! Heh! The shinnies!? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
bones2039

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm still firmly in the camp that prefers physical media over downloads and streaming. I like streaming but if I really enjoy a show I find it worth it to pick it up on BD because you never now when the streaming rights might change and you can't watch it anymore. Some times I wonder how much of the death of physical media is a self full filling prophecy.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Sad news. I’m all about the physical media.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
I'm still firmly in the camp that prefers physical media over downloads and streaming. I like streaming but if I really enjoy a show I find it worth it to pick it up on BD because you never now when the streaming rights might change and you can't watch it anymore. Some times I wonder how much of the death of physical media is a self full filling prophecy.

It will become like music and the vinyal market, and for true collectors only.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Samsung's 4K Players weren't the best. They didn't even support Dolby Vision. I think they marketed themselves out.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The day anime stops being released on physical media is the day I stop spending money on anime.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't have issues with buying digitally, but it's for similar fundamental reasons as to why I give to charity.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Why do you think companies are pushing it so hard? They want to control their content and prevent you from owning it as much as they can. They hate physical media with a passion and want nothing more than to phase it out.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I have no desire to give up buying anime on physical media either but I can't say I'm too broken up about Samsung exiting the Blu-Ray hardware market as my first Blu-Ray player was indeed a Samsung and it was unreliable, refusing to play certain Blu-Rays, to the point that I bought a Toshiba Blu-Ray player only around a year later.

I bought the Toshiba Blu-Ray player around 8 years ago and it still serves me well to this day.

I think another reason that standalone Blu-Ray players are on the decline besides streaming surpassing physical media is simply that a lot of people watch Blu-Rays on game consoles (though I tried that myself for the first time on the PS4 the other day but didn't like using the controller as a remote). However, that option may not last if the next generation of consoles won't even have optical drives. (Like with anime, though, if I can't buy new games on physical media, I'll just stick to playing old games.)

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I just bought a recent ( 2017 ) low-end Sony BD unit last month. My problem with BD units has been the way makers try to push people to get high end ($250+) units by putting all the latest options on them, and deliberatly limiting the low end to segment the market to protect their profit margins. An understandable business strategy, but it kept me from getting a new unit for quite a while. And I wonder if confusion over 'does this BD player do what I need' has hurt the sales of all of them.

And I'm another vote for the shinnies, when I can afford them. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Meh fine by me. My X-Box One and PS4 still play them quite fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3