• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Viz Media Copyrights Alone Account for 5% of Google's URL Takedown Requests

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder do they do a request for every single scanlatef page or just an overall whole sitewide thing. Cause it may not be that many viz manga if it's like a request per each say naruto manga page. That's a lot of pages.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
"Stop Internet Piracy!" is a more accurate translation.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I wonder do they do a request for every single scanlatef page or just an overall whole sitewide thing. Cause it may not be that many viz manga if it's like a request per each say naruto manga page. That's a lot of pages.

1 request = 1 url
Rene&Mae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
In some instances, manga fans seek out scanlation sites specifically because the manga they were buying was dropped because the English-language publisher dropped the title, or that company went under, and nobody rescued the title. (I've forgotten the count of unfinished manga series I have on my shelves precisely for those reasons.) The same can be said for why some people look for sources to watch anime series online.

I have ALWAYS financially supported every anime/manga series I love, going back in time all the way to Speed Racer, for crying out loud. I paid over $100.00 for a VHS of Miyazaki's Laputa that didn't even have English subtitles back in the late '80's or early '90's, I wanted the movie so badly. I figured there was no chance it would ever come to the U.S. in an official capacity, back then. Luckily, my comics dealer got me a copy of a written transcript for the movie that had been typed out by some college student who was studying Japanese and was part of the anime underground back then. Such was life for an anime fan in America before anime was widely available here!

My bookshelves are double-loaded with whole series of manga & anime. My cabinets are full of anime figures I bought because I love that series, or character, etc. But what am I supposed to do when a short-sighted, American anime-dubbing company botched/ruined an anime's rollout, so they decided to drop it and leave all their English-speaking fans of that series to twist in the wind? I stand here, year after year, crying, "Take my money, please! I want to buy the complete series on DVD! At least make print-on-demand options available for us fans! ... What's that? Oh...you don't want my money...you've given up entirely on that series. Okay, got it. I'll go look for fan-dubs, thanks for nothing."

I would hope that before all these anime companies on both sides of the Pacific rush to cut off all (unauthorized by them) access to their series in manga & anime format, that they take a moment to consider that they may be cutting themselves off completely from the fans in some cases. And vice-versa, they cut the fans off from the series that they love. And in today's world, younger fans are fickle. If they lose access to something, they can lose interest, and just move on from anime and manga.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:17 am Reply with quote
How about re-releasing naoki urasawas monster anime either physically or digitally before talking about removing illegal streaming sites that actually let you watch it, huh viz?
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
How about re-releasing naoki urasawas monster anime either physically or digitally before talking about removing illegal streaming sites that actually let you watch it, huh viz?

Viz no longer has the license to the Monster anime and hasn't for like half a decade now. You'd be better off hoping another company tries to rescue it
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I really find scanlation sites useful. I don't generally read full series online anymore (if I do, I'm buying them anyway), but I do like to check out the first few chapters before I decide if I want to buy or not. I know there are services like Viz's online Shonen Jump, and it's cheap, but I'd really prefer to put my ~$30 a year towards more physical volumes for my collection than to pay for sampling stuff.

Sometimes they're also useful for just checking out series that haven't and won't be released over here. I can read a few scanned chapters and then buy the Japanese release, since it's much harder to find raws for things than it is for scanlations.

I've always thrown as much money as I can at the industry, and I'll keep doing so, but my collection is only so large because I was able to find things for free. This hobby can be crazy expensive and not everyone has money to drop to test out a series they might not like. I'd rather do my research and put my money into the industry buying things I know I like, than taking a risk and ending up with something I'm not really enjoying. (And even then, the number of cancelled series on my shelf is pretty annoying!)
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
^ Pretty much the same here. I'm grateful that the library in my city also stocks a large variety of manga, so I'll also read it for free there if it's an option, but that isn't always the case.

I'd likely end up buying very little of it if I were unable to sample it for free in some format, as following multiple manga series can add up fast, and I wouldn't want to risk wasting money on something I'd end up hating.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
sdsyukichan wrote:
Sometimes they're also useful for just checking out series that haven't and won't be released over here. I can read a few scanned chapters and then buy the Japanese release, since it's much harder to find raws for things than it is for scanlations

My entire manga collection is comprised of Japanese volumes. Not only is it a more reliable industry, it's also a lot cheaper. It's pretty amazing how despite anime being much cheaper in America than Japan, manga is ridiculously overpriced here. The first English volume of Boruto is 9.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Japan has the Japanese tankobon for 432 yen which equates to $3.86. Print media in America has always been overpriced in my opinion, but the American market seems to be shifting to all digital these days, which is a sad time for a collector like myself, but it's also pretty cheap to build up a huge collection of Japanese manga.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
sdsyukichan wrote:
Sometimes they're also useful for just checking out series that haven't and won't be released over here. I can read a few scanned chapters and then buy the Japanese release, since it's much harder to find raws for things than it is for scanlations

My entire manga collection is comprised of Japanese volumes. Not only is it a more reliable industry, it's also a lot cheaper. It's pretty amazing how despite anime being much cheaper in America than Japan, manga is ridiculously overpriced here. The first English volume of Boruto is 9.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Japan has the Japanese tankobon for 432 yen which equates to $3.86. Print media in America has always been overpriced in my opinion, but the American market seems to be shifting to all digital these days, which is a sad time for a collector like myself, but it's also pretty cheap to build up a huge collection of Japanese manga.

Japanese manga is cheap because they have the sales volume. Japan wouldn't have such cheap tankobon if the best selling volume was doing sub 35,000 sales a year like they do in the USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1