• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai Cheat Magician TV Anime Unveils Cast, Staff, Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy! More Sword Art Online rip-offs incoming!!
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

not even Surprised?

while this manga is nothing special and one of the weaker isekai its nothing like SAO :/

thoguh am surprised its gettign an anime...doubt it'll end up very popular though.
Magicflier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

It's about a pair, a boy and girl, blessed with overpowered magic for being transported to a fantasy world... where did you make this connection with Sword Art Online... and this light novel has been running since 2013. It's a bit TOO late to be pointing fingers now.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
Magicflier wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

It's about a pair, a boy and girl, blessed with overpowered magic for being transported to a fantasy world... where did you make this connection with Sword Art Online... and this light novel has been running since 2013. It's a bit TOO late to be pointing fingers now.

But wasn't both Asuna and Kirito sort of entered a different world, albeit in a Virtual Reality-esque type of setting? You could make the point that they just met inside the VRMMO, but it doesn't really matter. You could replace the characters in the key visual with the Kirito and Asuna, and no one will see the difference, except they're now all wizards. It's still the same old sh*t that the industry churns out season after season.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder why this was chosen to be adapted.
Was the original novel that good?
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
Concept of a boy and (unrelated) girl transported to a magical world together? The Silver Chair was published 1953, The Magician's Nephew 1955, there must be older examples.

My problem with the idea of "SAO ripoffs" is that SAO actually offers an active romance well before the end of the first cour, which was refreshing to me, having grown up with the endlessly unsatisfying (though all-around superior) Tenchi Muyo. I wish more shows would rip off that aspect. 'Course SAO also tried to throw in a harem alongside the monogamous romance, but Asuna never had to deal with Kirito being like this:

Prog_upworks13 says on MAL that there's a "bit [of] romance development between these two main characters," which doesn't sound promising, especially considering this will likely only get one cour ever.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
Manga date is still wrong: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5023762#5023762

nDroae wrote:
Concept of a boy and (unrelated) girl transported to a magical world together? The Silver Chair was published 1953,

Coincidentally also now illustrated by Nardack: https://bookwalker.jp/deb7eb3d3c-e53c-4d26-96c2-f136c377a976/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Another isekai, yeah! Despite the despise many people have for them, I personally like them or at least they entertain me.
Well, about this one, what can I say? I really like the design of the girl xD. And of course Rie Takahashi has to voice a magician... with a staff lol.

nDroae wrote:
The problem with the idea of "SAO ripoff" is that SAO actually offers an active romance well before the end of the first cour, which was refreshing to me, having grown up with the endlessly unsatisfying (though all-around superior) Tenchi Muyo. I wish more shows would rip off that aspect. 'Course SAO also tried to throw in a harem alongside the monogamous romance

In my case that was one of the reasons I stopped watching SAO, what's the point of establishing the couple from the beginning if they're going to keep coming girls attracted to the main character but they don't have the slightest chance because the couple is established from the beginning and it's impossible that it will be a harem? I really hated that.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Another isekai, yeah! Despite the despise many people have for them, I personally like them or at least they entertain me.

I'm in this same camp. They may be the entertainment equivalent of junk food, but since I avoid junk food, I feel I am due one vice.
Magicflier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Magicflier wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

But wasn't both Asuna and Kirito sort of entered a different world, albeit in a Virtual Reality-esque type of setting? You could make the point that they just met inside the VRMMO, but it doesn't really matter. You could replace the characters in the key visual with the Kirito and Asuna, and no one will see the difference, except they're now all wizards. It's still the same old sh*t that the industry churns out season after season.

You're too desperate in trying to make connections.

Sword Art Online is based in an VRMMO, so there are clearly better comparisons out there in the light novel community that you could say they are rip offs of Sword Art Online, but saying this novel is a rip off just because the key visual is similar is too much a stretch. What would happen to all key visuals out there that focus on a couple/pair that will lead the show? They are all rip offs of Sword Art Online just because a girl and boy are being showed off and highlighted in the first key visual?...

To widen the gap in differences, the pair in that key visual there for Isekai Cheat Magician are childhood friends.

Also, I am going to requote one of the previous posters
nDroae wrote:
Concept of a boy and (unrelated) girl transported to a magical world together? The Silver Chair was published 1953, The Magician's Nephew 1955, there must be older examples.

Last edited by Magicflier on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magicflier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

Nah, it's pretty average. I think it was picked up for anime adaption is because the cliches in it are entertaining.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

Generally if something sells well enough for whatever reason they can get an anime to increase more sale.
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Isekai is the new moeblob. Bad for people who don't like it.

Me? I love both. So isekai+moeblob FTW!

Anyone reading Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear?
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:
Isekai is the new moeblob. Bad for people who don't like it.

Same same i really enjoy isekai stuff, just so many possibilites that can be used. So i also say just keep em coming as long as possible ^^
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
nDroae wrote:
Concept of a boy and (unrelated) girl transported to a magical world together? The Silver Chair was published 1953,

Coincidentally also now illustrated by Nardack: https://bookwalker.jp/deb7eb3d3c-e53c-4d26-96c2-f136c377a976/

I love it! Looks like she actually followed Lucy's character description in the book, and made her blonde, whereas both the BBC and the Disney live action versions ignored that and cast brunettes to play her. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2228065?s_ssid=e34e345c80604f1af8

The Magician's Nephew in particular could be great material for an anime.

Edit: Are these illustrated novels, or manga? I assumed the former, but Google image searches show manga pages. If it's a manga, I want to buy it - can't read it, but I know the stories well.

SkyLETV34 wrote:
In my case that was one of the reasons I stopped watching SAO, what's the point of establishing the couple from the beginning if they're going to keep coming girls attracted to the main character but they don't have the slightest chance because the couple is established from the beginning and it's impossible that it will be a harem? I really hated that.

That's fair. For a while, I was done with harems in general. There's a lot I'd change about SAO to make it more to my own liking, but I prefer its weird have-cake-and-eat-it wish fulfillment recipe over full polygyny endings, and either over the usual lack of any resolution.

#815349 wrote:

I enjoy the occasional trashy isekai, and CGDCT is my bread and butter. Haven't read that but now I'm interested. Razz I've got my eye on two announced anime with moe leads:

Isekai:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-26/didn't-i-say-to-make-my-abilities-average-in-the-next-life-light-novels-get-anime-project/.128290
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37393/Watashi_Nouryoku_wa_Heikinchi_de_tte_Itta_yo_ne

VRMMO:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-06/itai-no-wa-iya-nano-de-bogyoryoku-ni-kyokufuri-shitai-to-omoimasu-novels-get-anime/.140443
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38790/Itai_no_wa_Iya_nano_de_Bougyoryoku_ni_Kyokufuri_Shitai_to_Omoimasu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2