• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spriggan Manga Gets Netflix Anime Series by David Production

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
David Production is a happy sight, can not say the same for Netflix. Not saying they will ruin it or anything, but it still gives me misgivings.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I remember highly enjoying the movie years back. I’m excited to see how this will go!
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder how they're going to handle the anti-American slant from the manga, considering they're going to be sponsored by an American company.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
David Production is a happy sight, can not say the same for Netflix. Not saying they will ruin it or anything, but it still gives me misgivings.

My question is: is this production independent of Netflix like Devilman Crybaby where Aniplex and Dynamic Planning were already making the show and Netflix just licensed it? Or is Netflix actually involved as a producer? I’m excited that this manga is getting a second adaptation but as always I’m going to remain cautious until they announce the director and staff involved.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Say it with me everyone -

“Netflix, you’re greenlit!”
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
I watched Spriggan last year and didn't really for care for it. Did the MC need to be a high schooler? He would've been fine as a adult.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Excellent news. I loved the film back in the day so it should be really cool to have a full series based on the manga. Can't wait for more info on the project
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd see this old film come back, and with a whole series no less. Spriggan was one the first anime films I saw and while it may not be perfect, it is pretty good. It seemed like a pilot for series that didn't happen though, I guess now it did.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Patiently waiting for Battle Angel Alita to get animated...
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
For me, this is one of the biggest anime announcements in the last decade, at least. I've wanted a full adaptation pretty much ever since the movie version came out. A series of Spriggan is one of my top pie-in-the-sky anime wishes, and it is actually happening. Hard to believe. The movie was sort of a remixed "greatest hits" from a couple of the manga volumes. This is a really fun action-adventure series. I just hope the animation is given the care it deserves.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
What a weird fit. The source manga is just so meh and never went anywhere. The film was helped (or not) by a greatly expended story and amazing animation. I don´t expect high production levels here though. Why didn´t the team pick the author´s much improved Until Death Do Us Part? Especially due to the higher US appeal (it´s an actual Seinen, has an adult lead, etc). There is no name recognition for Spriggan, so that can´t be a reason for the revival. I may still check the anime out, we´ll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked a lot of things in the manga--the powered suits, the superpowers, the military--so this is great news for me. IIRC the manga found its stride in the later volumes, so I understand why some think the manga sucks.

I have a soft spot for the movie too. Overall wasn't the best, but some of the action scenes were really really good.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Netflix with yet another Could've Been Big in America But Wasn't Really legacy revival. Coincidence?
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I wonder how they're going to handle the anti-American slant from the manga, considering they're going to be sponsored by an American company.

Considering that theme makes sense if you've read it during the Cold War.
honey power

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
YES YES YES YES YES YES
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2