• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Directs Next Film Without Deadline for Finishing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki will die while drawing, I hope he manages to finish several movies before that time since he is still not that old (78). Cool This one in particular might be better than anything he did after Spirited Away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
And there we have it, everyone. Standard industrial practices (such as deadlines) no longer apply once you reach his echelon, not even in view of his longstanding reputation for mistreating staff...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
And there we have it, everyone. Standard industrial practices (such as deadlines) no longer apply once you reach his echelon, not even in view of his longstanding reputation for mistreating staff...

Could you explain what you mean by that? I don’t really get the connections.

And about the mistreating staff thing, although it is true that Ghibli has always been a challenging work environment, what could be considered mistreatment actually happened under Takahata’s uncompromising direction.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hanging out with Hideaki Anno is rubbing off on him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
Given what I've heard about his back, it seems only likely that he doesn't want a deadline.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
I seem to recall they were aiming for a 2020 release before but I guess I'd rather they take their time to put out a quality film. Did Miyazaki ever actually get the official greenlight for his new movie? I hope this won't turn out to be a Satoshi Kon situation where they take too long and Miyazaki never finishes the movie.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, thing is he's retired from the spotlight part. But he's not going to just sit around and do nothing. He still feels he has to do something. He's already established his legacy and nobody will ever be able to match him. But sadly, when the time comes Ghibli is going to be whatever it has to be with or without him.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Miyazaki will die while drawing, I hope he manages to finish several movies before that time since he is still not that old (78). Cool This one in particular might be better than anything he did after Spirited Away.

And even then, he'll punch through the casket and finish his drawing
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki, go for it!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1