• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Offers Expanded Collection of Shorts on Blu-ray Disc

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I really REALLY hope GKIDS gets this!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know that this collection would do that well in the States.
These are mostly the promos for the Ghibli movies, half of this stuff might already be available on the Ghibli feature film releases on home video.

These are NOT the animated short stories that are exclusive to the Ghibli Museum. Those shorts would be what more people would be interested in but they won't be released on home video any time soon because they're a source of income that keeps that museum in operation. Those museum-exclusive shorts include the tie-in to Totoro which on its own would probably help sell a short collection disc. Thiscollection (minus the exclusive Ghibli museum shorts) really isn't equivalent to any of the Pixar Short Story Volumes or the Disney Shorts collection released in the last 18 months.

This disc would more equivalent to the commercials put on as extras on many anime DVD's.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I don't know that this collection would do that well in the States.
These are mostly the promos for the Ghibli movies, half of this stuff might already be available on the Ghibli feature film releases on home video.

This new release seems to include only two promos.

I have the old DVD release. None of that material is available on other releases. This is very unique material.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It's fine. Spend your money the way you want. I'm not pretending to dictate to anyone how they spend their money.
If you think the upgrade's worth it to you and you're that big a Ghibli fan, go for it!

I doubt the disc would sell that well to many people in the States but if you want to import it, good for you. I've imported in the past.... Not so much now because most of what I want has eventually been released on video here at 1/2 to 1/4 Japanese prices and I don't know about about you but I don't like spending $45-$60 a disc!

I got lucky ONE TIME about 2-3 years and bought the original Macross movie (Do You Remember Love?) on Blu ray for about $34. It was closer to $45 with shipping but it was a good deal so occasionally they do have online sales in Japan. The reasons I got that film despite not having subs were A) it's one of my old favorites; B) it's a beautiful looking film; and C) it was the Perfect, UNEDITED edition unlike the original PS3 hybrid disc edition with the game. The PS3 movie edition was edited which I found odd for a 30-year-old film. In retrospect, I know EXACTLY why they did that (to appease the Sony PS S&P guards) but the censorship was a huge reason besides cost on why I didn't get the PS3 edition. It's not a huge deal but it's principle thing that bugs. I do NOT like capricious changes and edits to movies and TV shows.

I'll be honest -- I would much prefer to gets a disc of those Ghibli shorts they did for the museum but realistically that's not going to happen any time soon.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed that the Ghibli Museum shorts aren't included, but On Your Mark is enough to make this worth buying.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed that the Ghibli Museum shorts aren't included, but On Your Mark is enough to make this worth buying.

sounds like they replaced the original japanese track with an english dub, though. that alone kills on your mark. seek out the original in HD glory online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1