• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bringing Up The Rear

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Sarazanmai sounds very interesting, though like other Ikuhara shows it's almost certainly not something you can watch in just any random state of mind. Things can get quite abstract and heavy by the end of his stories. That's why I will probably wait until the series concludes and try to marathon the whole series when I am actually prepared to do so.

It's a shame they couldn't get a better studio (KyoAni?) or at least more resources to update YU-NO, but the original story still had more in its favor than just a horny guy meeting girls across dimensions. The initial premise does come across as dated, at a glance, but it's not an exaggeration to say that it was a landmark for the genre and many famous VNs probably wouldn't exist in their current forms without its influence.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty good with a smaller season, it feels like I'm missing out on less anime, I'll definitely be watching Fruits Basket, Dororo, Sarazanmai, and Attack on Titan each week at least.

I'm really glad Jacob will be writing the weekly reviews for Fruits Basket! I really agreed with his earlier review of the theatrical screening + the Shoujo & Tell FB episodes, and I'm excited to read what he has to say about it on an episode-by-episode basis!

Super ready for more Sarazanmai! I've seen most of Ikuhara's stuff, but I've only watched YuriKuma Arashi week to week over binge-watching, and it was a very different experience that I feel I got more out of (but everyone's different). Definitely the most dense premiere of the season, and I'd imagine the most hit-or-miss for people. Also, the Amazon presence in the show is really funny to me considering the very recently ended Amazon-Noitamina deal.

Kimetsu: Demon Slayer had a good premiere, but just based on the premiere, I could see it being a show where I'm going to wait and see what people are saying as the season progresses. Glad to hear it only improves, so maybe I'll keep checking it out.

And lastly, Attack on Titan (S3 part 2) is the Spring season holdout, still 15 days away haha
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
Good episode, always enjoy you guys' impressions about a new season.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep watching Kimetsu for the spectacle. I was already wowing at the first episode, so it's exciting to hear Jacob saying the best is yet to come. And I still have a weak spot for Shonen Jump stories, just not time, so compressing something like this into a single cour is a sell for me.

I was a little disappointed in the limited animation of Fruits Basket's first episode, but seem to have gotten over it pretty quickly: by the second episode it either got better or I stopped noticing.

Sarazanmai is just incredible. I expected it to be bonkers, but I didn't expect it to look so amazing. Granted we're only one episode in, but nightjuan, I think you can enjoy this one in pretty much any state of mind; it's visually rich and fast-paced enough to practically demand a second viewing anyway. I'm sure there are a bunch of important details that I missed in this first viewing.

The other show I'm sticking with is Hitoribocchi. Unabashedly moe, so no surprise it doesn't register on Zac and Jacob's radars, but it's concentrated warm fuzzies, and if it keeps pulling out cute gimmicks like the recorder in episode 2 then I'll probably keep with it all season.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
The comparison of Captain Marvel to a Lady's Bic commercial is easily the single most appropriate suggestion as to the driving thesis behind that film which I've come across. Though I have yet to see a Marvel film that played as anything other than a commercial for toys, military contracting/army recruitment, or...other Marvel films. And in all those respects it would seem Captain Marvel was suitably tailored for induction into the Disney Empire's superhero sub-pantheon-- which I like to imagine as being conceptually lodged within the vacuous viscera of a fairly fat Flerken. Smile

I'm really thankful for the tapered production for this season of anime. It's the first in a long while where I feel like I've made any headway in identifying what could keep my attention, but more to the point Zac made, it'd be great to know if labor conditions improved for the average animator/production staff member (likewise, not holding my breath). At the very least, here's hoping that the shows that have gotten made were allowed some extra care and polish.

Very interested to see Penguin Highway given Jacob's impressions on it; I love The Eccentric Family to death but I think this is the first time I've heard anyone evaluate the film in a way that led me to believe it actually exists within a similar frame of reference to style and tone. Eccentric Family can also be fairly disarming in its visual and tonal approach to pretty dense subject matter, so it'd be interesting to get a sense of how the two compare. And it's nice to have an incentive to watch the movie outside of knowing that my favorite singer does the theme song, ha. Smile
mbanu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched Captain Marvel right after Alita: Battle Angel, which was interesting. It was hard not to assume that Captain Marvel would have been working for Nova. Smile
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This episode, with the remark, "It's like Mirai, only good" reminded me why I resolved a while ago to not rely on Zac & Jacob's assessment of things as a measure of how I will feel about them --- our tastes clearly differ in a lot of ways. I saw Mirai after hearing them talk about it on another episode of ANN, and wondered if we'd seen the same movie. It worked for me, if only having seen sibling rivalry first hand. Plus the whole schtick with the dog was great.

Thanks for your assessment of the new season. Even though I'm kvetching about differing tastes, you pointed out a few series I'd not picked out from the preview.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
The comparison of Captain Marvel to a Lady's Bic commercial is easily the single most appropriate suggestion as to the driving thesis behind that film which I've come across. Though I have yet to see a Marvel film that played as anything other than a commercial for toys, military contracting/army recruitment, or...other Marvel films. And in all those respects it would seem Captain Marvel was suitably tailored for induction into the Disney Empire's superhero sub-pantheon-- which I like to imagine as being conceptually lodged within the vacuous viscera of a fairly fat Flerken.

Comic books have their roots in war-time patriotism, but Marvel movies have never been that accurate to the source material. The main reason is as you say, these films are for selling toys for kids and tickets to a global audience, so they have to keep things simple and safe to achieve both. And for characters who have historically not very safe, like Black Panther or Ms. Marvel, they have to have numerous rewrites and changes made to them to fit those guidelines.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
It was always going to be the little niche titles that got the axe, so comparing the number of shows that everyone cares about misses the impact of the decreased production. I'm talking about the shows that most passed over but which are nonetheless precious to those who did pick them up, to one degree or another. They aren't the best shows out there (otherwise more people would have jumped on) but there is still something special, something different, about them, at least for its audience. The readiest example I would have is something like last season's Ekoda-chan, with its varying directors and styles and its peek behind the curtains. Not many watched it (though thankfully the TWIA crew did) and I won't claim it was among the best of the season, but it was still a fascinating little show to me. Himote House from last fall is another one, while not great in some aspects to put it mildly, was still a unique experience that I still remember. Last season's Virtual-San was probably my most extensive experience with V-tubers, and was like no other anime, for better and worse, but I still thought it was a valuable experience nonetheless. Going a bit higher in viewership, there's stuff like Tonegawa and Last Period. Those are only a few shows, but I'm sure others have had their own little treasures that only a few people watched. It is still early in the season, but I think that is at least part of what went missing after the reduction. For the continued health of the industry and those in it, this reduction was inevitable, and if something has to go, it was always going to be these little shows, and that is something I can live with. Let's not pretend that no one lost anything of value in the exchange though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

And lastly, Attack on Titan (S3 part 2) is the Spring season holdout, still 15 days away haha

The thing I'm curious to see is the timing of the simuldub. Season 2 and the first part of season 3 started pretty late compared to the rest of the simuldubs since Funimation's deal with Toonami meant it had to wait until it premiered there. I suppose one good thing about the very last slot on Toonami being AOT reruns is that they could just stop at any point and immediately broadcast new episodes instead of waiting for something to finish, which is the reason for the previous delays. From what I can tell, it would be quite a while before anything with new episodes finished, so I doubt either side of the equation wants to wait that long.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

The thing I'm curious to see is the timing of the simuldub.

Yeah, I have no idea, but whatever contract Funimation and Toonami worked out might have stated the deal applied to all of season 3, even if the second half ended up being pushed back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1