• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Animation Representative Director Wants New Blood in the Anime Industry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I think there is enough young talent in the anime industry; they just don't want to work for Toei, which is a third rate anime studio and company.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In closing, Takagi said, "I think the day is not far off when anime will undergo a new paradigm shift. I don't want our way of thinking to be rigid; I want this project to give birth to new ideas. In fact, people who haven't had much to do with the anime industry until now are less likely to be constrained by the need to make a profit or to emulate past successes. They can use their imaginations freely. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of fresh new pitches we'll get."
Maybe Toei should try to finish the Sailor Moon Crystal Dream arc movies before starting on something new.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Btw, what's the point of even getting into anime that will air for 100 years?

That being said, I am fairly sure that some of currently airing shows that were around for decades will probably be around long after most of us is gone.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Then pay your workers better, Toei.
JMulli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think there is enough young talent in the anime industry; they just don't want to work for Toei, which is a third rate anime studio and company.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Then pay your workers better, Toei.

Toei is actually one of the most desirable anime studios to work for. They have the highest entry level pay out of all the major anime studios with housing aid included. Toei has also massively increased the quality of its productions within the last 2 years. They're attempting to make production conditions better for their animators in many ways that other studios don't. They even have a union, which most studios don't have. Just because they had some production struggles with One Piece back in the Dressrosa arc or early Dragon Ball Super doesn't mean they are "third-rate" or "don't pay their animators enough". They're a massive multimedia franchise with far better conditions than most.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) stands in stark contrast to this view. Some of Toei's anime-original episodes have been among the best of the bunch, particularly episode twenty, because they expand on themes in Mizuki's works. Like any show with, now, nearly five-dozen episodes it has its ups and downs. Still it's the show I most look forward to watching every week.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting that he used Dr. Slump as his example since that anime never got an official English release and only a small percentage of western anime fans have even heard of it. From a western perspective Dragon Ball is far more important and is one of the biggest anime franchises on the planet. The contest to make an anime that lasts a 100 years sounds nice but I am skeptical that a few cash prizes is going to create an idea that changes the anime industry.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The amount of Bias and misinformation in this thread is such a joke and disgusts me quite a bit.
JMulli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
The amount of Bias and misinformation in this thread is such a joke and disgusts me quite a bit.

A lot of people know next to nothing about the anime industry as a whole and yet they come up with info out of their asses about it. People need to do more research before making outlandish comments.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Believing that lackluster animation in some of your series makes you third-rate is the height of ignorance. Third-rate studios aren't ones that have manged to last for over 60 years or own several multi-million dollar franchises. And if being a third-rate studio means you don't overwork your animators to the point of death than it's better than most of what you think are first rate ones.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It is possible to be glad Toei treats their employees well and still be critical of the quality of their productions at the same time.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It is possible to be glad Toei treats their employees well and still be critical of the quality of their productions at the same time.

The're being critical, and then there's just bashing for the sake of bashing, which tends to happen when it comes to Toei animation or Pierrot.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote

The're being critical, and then there's just bashing for the sake of bashing, which tends to happen when it comes to Toei animation or Pierrot.
Some of it is blown out of proportion but I just have a problem with them starting new projects while they've been on a two year delay for Sailor Moon Crystal.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Toei needs to step up their game, treat their workers better and make their anime look as good/great as they did in the 80's - 2000's/early 2010's, I mean, I dunno, I feel ever since Noriyuki Tada took over, the company's mostly been on a downhill slide.

If said contest actually exists, I'll pass on it. While I understand Takagi's concerns (there's plenty of anime out there I feel deserve better ratings and a good amount that are overrated), no anime truly could last for 100 years (unless it was like Coronation Street, longest running TV soap opera), while I do want to draw doujinshi as a hobby, I don't have any animation skills, need to learn how to use an animation software, and even then and there, some ideas I'd have for said contest would either be reboots based off of older obscure OVAs no one probably cares about anymore or original ideas that are just crazy sounding.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Some of it is blown out of proportion but I just have a problem with them starting new projects while they've been on a two year delay for Sailor Moon Crystal.

Toei has many subdivisons working on many different things parallel to each other. Sailor Moon’s "delay" has little to nothing to to for the "100 Year Project" which likely won’t even go into production anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2