• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What is Sarazanmai All About?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Sarazanmai is about gay frogs.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
For me, Sarazanmai is one of the weirdest anime I have ever seen. Unpopular opinion but Sarazanmai is weird as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
For me, Sarazanmai is one of the weirdest anime I have ever seen. Unpopular opinion but Sarazanmai is weird as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I feel that Ikuhara's single coeur shows (Sarazanmai and Lesbian Bear Storm) might have been a lot less weird if the sponsors had granted the shows longer episode counts. Ikuhara seems to pack the same amount of magical realism into each of his works regardless of their lengths, and if nothing else a greater number of episodes might possibly have afforded the weirdness more breathing room.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
One big theme of Sarazanmai: F*** the Police! I’m surprised you didn’t spend more time on how the popo have been killing people this entire time (it didn’t register as “real” murder to me until we saw them straight up shoot and kill a guy and then nearly kill Enta in the last two episodes). Plus, they’ve been brainwashing/mind controlling other cops to get away with it! Between killer cops and marijuana, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ikuhara was inspired by headlines from the U.S! (To be fair, killer cops are a world wide issue: see also the Philippines).

Also, F*** Toi’s brother! At one point, it looked like he was turning his gun on Toi, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if he had pulled the trigger. What a POS. Toi deserves better!
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
One big theme of Sarazanmai: F*** the Police! I’m surprised you didn’t spend more time on how the popo have been killing people this entire time (it didn’t register as “real” murder to me until we saw them straight up shoot and kill a guy and then nearly kill Enta in the last two episodes). Plus, they’ve been brainwashing/mind controlling other cops to get away with it! Between killer cops and marijuana, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ikuhara was inspired by headlines from the U.S! (To be fair, killer cops are a world wide issue: see also the Philippines).

Taking into account the context of production, I don't think Ikuhara intended for one of the show's themes to be police brutality. Japan's views on the police force are so radically different from the rest of the world that the concept of police brutality doesn't even cross the average Japanese mind. If anything, some Japanese people complain that the police are "too docile." Moreover, police brutality (at least in the U.S.) is typically motivated by racism, something we don't see in Sarazanmai.

Also, if Ikuhara kept up with U.S. headlines, I don't think he would've given the role of tragic gay couple to the two corrupt cops; not with the "police not allowed at pride" articles that have been circling around since early last year Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Good points, on the other hand, Ikuhara is far from average! Laughing
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Good points, on the other hand, Ikuhara is far from average! :lol:

Fair enough :P
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The entire back half of this column is downright ironic after episode 10. To be fair, "accepting loss" has become such a cliche in anime in the last decade that it's hard to fault people for reading it into Sarazanmai, too, but I'm honestly kind of sick of how rote that message has become these days. Fortunately, it seems Ikuhara is too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1