• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest's Hero Joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Game in Summer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
So pretty much more swordsmen?

Great...
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, the title characters from Rare's Banjo-Kazooie game series will also join the game this fall.

Why is this pushed to the side? This is the really amazing piece of news.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Quote:
In addition, the title characters from Rare's Banjo-Kazooie game series will also join the game this fall.

Why is this pushed to the side? This is the really amazing piece of news.

I agree what the hell ANN Evil or Very Mad
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Because this site is ANIME News Network, I guess? Look, it's obvious that Banjo-Kazooie is the bigger deal outside of Japan, but has next to no importance to a site focused on anime, manga, & Japan-developed video games. In that regard, Dragon Quest is much more relevant to the kind of stuff ANN reports on, so The Hero gets top-billing.

Also, personally, while I don't really have any major feelings about either character, I am admittedly more interested in The Hero than the Banjo-Kazooie, so there's my feeling about that. Cool that both are getting into Smash, though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It does make sense considering that Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior started off on the NES with its first four games being RPG classics.

Glad that all incarnations of the hero are in it too. Smile

Although I would've liked for the game's villains to also make an appearance like the Dragonlord, Zoma, and DhoulMagus to name a few. Smile
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:

Great...

THE swordsmen.

But seriously, DQ has been long overdue for Smash. Characters look great, but I wish we could've gotten some of the female heroes as alts.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but Banjo-Kazooie >>>>>>>>>>> this guy
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Because this site is ANIME News Network, I guess? Look, it's obvious that Banjo-Kazooie is the bigger deal outside of Japan, but has next to no importance to a site focused on anime, manga, & Japan-developed video games. In that regard, Dragon Quest is much more relevant to the kind of stuff ANN reports on, so The Hero gets top-billing.

Also, personally, while I don't really have any major feelings about either character, I am admittedly more interested in The Hero than the Banjo-Kazooie, so there's my feeling about that. Cool that both are getting into Smash, though.

I agree Dragon Quest as a series is a lot more popular in Japan and the top billing doesn't really concern me too much but Smash Bros. in itself is a Japan-developed video game so a character being added to it (foreign or otherwise) deserves attention as well. Their name isn't in the title and their video isn't in the article regardless. Not to mention when Negan from the walking dead was added to Tekken 7 the article written didn't isolate him to a single blurb.

I have no major feelings about either character as well. I played Banjo-Kazooie for about 15 minutes in my life and Dragon Quest for about 15 minutes less that, but I think the circumstances that allowed a character from a non-Japanese franchise that's owned by a direct competitor of Nintendo (Microsoft) to be included in smash for the first time shouldn't be glossed over.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It's really cool to see that Dragon Quest, the most influential JRPG, gets represented in Smash, and it surprised me to see the heroes from IV and VIII as alternate costumes. I was convinced that Erdrick was going to be the main hero but I suppose that Enix really wants to promote XI, though I'd have replaced IV's main character with Madason from V since DQV Dragon Quest's creator favourite game, but seeing the final smash with all the heroes it's nice. I just hope that, unlike Final Fantasy, Square-Enix allows Nintendo to use more characters for spirit battles and more music tracks (if Sugiyama allows it).
But to be honest, the biggest surprise was seeing Banjo and Kazooie joining the battle, I just hope that maybe Microsoft would remaster the first two games, like Activision did with Crash and Spyro, and release it for both the Switch and Xbox One.
typhonkona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
HueyLion wrote:

Great...

THE swordsmen.

But seriously, DQ has been long overdue for Smash. Characters look great, but I wish we could've gotten some of the female heroes as alts.

Except the only hero that could`ve had an female alt is DQ4 hero
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I popped for all of the DQ protagonists saving the day more than I did for the "Avengers Assemble" spot in Endgame
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I was convinced that Erdrick was going to be the main hero but I suppose that Enix really wants to promote XI, though I'd have replaced IV's main character with Madason from V since DQV Dragon Quest's creator favourite game, but seeing the final smash with all the heroes it's nice.

I suspect that DQV's protagonist wasn't used because he's typically shown wielding a staff instead of a sword and shield, and that wouldn't translate well to an alternative skin. it's a shame, because I really like him as well.

Silver Kirin wrote:
But to be honest, the biggest surprise was seeing Banjo and Kazooie joining the battle, I just hope that maybe Microsoft would remaster the first two games, like Activision did with Crash and Spyro, and release it for both the Switch and Xbox One.

The DQ Hero being a DLC character surprised me more than Banjo and Kazooie. Nintendo and Microsoft get along well (one of my personal predictions before the Direct was Steve/Alex from Minecraft) but DQ composer Koichi Sugiyama is notoriously protective of his works, plus Square Enix themselves were stingy when it came to Cloud's appearance for Ultimate (only two music tracks and no Spirits...).
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
typhonkona wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:
HueyLion wrote:

Great...

THE swordsmen.

Except the only hero that could`ve had an female alt is DQ4 hero

There’s Female Erdrick as well. I figured originally, before the website confirmed otherwise, the other 4 costumes for Hero would be Female. They could go Sofia (IV), Female Erdrick (III), Ann Lucia (X) and Female Celestrian (IX). All the rumors indicated there’d be a female alt. Maybe it WAS supposed to be Erdrick as the default with Female as an alt but Nintendo/SE wanted Luminary as the default to promote DQXI on Switch or maybe, what I’m hoping, they throw in a quick Echo down the line.

Quote:
The DQ Hero being a DLC character surprised me more than Banjo and Kazooie. Nintendo and Microsoft get along well (one of my personal predictions before the Direct was Steve/Alex from Minecraft) but DQ composer Koichi Sugiyama is notoriously protective of his works, plus Square Enix themselves were stingy when it came to Cloud's appearance for Ultimate (only two music tracks and no Spirits...).

Yeah, I was super surprised when Nintendo announced that XI S would have the orchestra tracks. That’s a HUGE get. I almost think that maybe, just maybe, Nintendo was able to strike a deal to get the orchestra tracks for XI, and since XI is a greatest hits of sorts, are able to use the tracks for Smash too.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Complete opposite for me. I never really expect a western franchise character to get into Smash, and I often wondered why there was no Dragon Quest representation considering how massive the franchise is. As far as American reps go, Banjo makes the most sense. He certainly fits more than any other American game character I can think of. Banjo did sell pretty good for a western game in Japan back in the day from what I remember, and he's not some gruffy serious, realistic character. He's a colorful cartoon bear with a bird and a game that is basically a Mario 64 clone.

I'm still asserting that Byleth is all but guaranteed to be one of the DLC slots. They added the My Units from the past two main Fire Emblem games, so I see no reason why they wouldn't add the newest one unless it completely bombs in sales numbers.

My last slot pick is my usual longshot dream of Master Takahashi from the Adventure Island series, but considering he's based on an actual game developer it will most likely never happen due to legal reasons. My other pipe dream is Goemon.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I'm still asserting that Byleth is all but guaranteed to be one of the DLC slots. They added the My Units from the past two main Fire Emblem games, so I see no reason why they wouldn't add the newest one unless it completely bombs in sales numbers.

My last slot pick is my usual longshot dream of Master Takahashi from the Adventure Island series, but considering he's based on an actual game developer it will most likely never happen due to legal reasons. My other pipe dream is Goemon.

From what I've heard, Reggie has said that all five of the Smash DLC characters will be from franchises that have never been represented in the games before. That means any more Fire Emblem characters are right out, as well as pretty much every other Nintendo franchise (which means no Starfy, Geno, etc. either, and now I'm imagining Boxboy playable in Smash and thinking how awesome that would be, but he's out as well...).

My own wish list is all over the place, but my top three are Doomguy, Phoenix Wright, and Dante. The latter two are Capcom characters, and a character from that company feels like a sure bet (though I'm half-expecting it'll be Leon Kennedy). The third... well, going back to that Western character thing, and Doomguy has way less of a chance. I can dream, though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2