• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Overlord II Limited Edition BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The lizard man sex was humorous in that I rewatched the series with a friend, so hearing him say, "Did we really need to see that!?" when I knew it was coming was funny for me.

I can't say I had the same take in the portrayal of the lizard men. Maybe it's because Nazarick is so OP compared to everyone else that it didn't even register with me as anything unusual.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a lot of people didn't like the lizardman arc in either the novel or the anime, so i guess i'm the outlier in that i quite liked it. There's a fascinating desperation to this civilization struggling to avoid complete annihilation at the hands of our absurdly overpowered protagonist, and i don't think there many isekai stories that would include an arc like this.

I agree that the Sebas arc is very good, and one of the strongest parts of the series as a whole. If i had a complaint about this season, it would be that the animation and art looked pretty average throughout.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Seems like a lot of people didn't like the lizardman arc in either the novel or the anime, so i guess i'm the outlier in that i quite liked it. There's a fascinating desperation to this civilization struggling to avoid complete annihilation at the hands of our absurdly overpowered protagonist, and i don't think there many isekai stories that would include an arc like this.

I was cool, but the entire thing ends on such a wet fart that it's hard to take seriously, really a case of the author only bothering to come up with a justification for an arc at the last minute.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the lizardman arc was bad, but it went on too long imo
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I agree that the Sebas arc is very good, and one of the strongest parts of the series as a whole. If i had a complaint about this season, it would be that the animation and art looked pretty average throughout.

Agreed. The animation was super underwhelming at points and unfortunately it doesn't get better in season 3, it's quite the opposite actually. I'm surprised the reviewer gave such a high rating or does B stand for Bad? However the very same person gave the OP special 3D2Y a C+ for animation and that special had tons of high quality scenes by amazing animators. So their judgment on animation is very questionable.
Anyway I hope things get better for Madhouse with an eventual season 4.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I also found the lizardman arc a lot of fun! I thought it was solid world building, and reminds me a lot of how I fleshed out my own (100% homegrown) D&D setting years ago. Truth be told, I can't remember seeing monstrous humanoids in any visual medium that were treated as anything but XP fodder. (Never saw the Warhammer movie.)

meiam wrote:
I was cool, but the entire thing ends on such a wet fart that it's hard to take seriously, really a case of the author only bothering to come up with a justification for an arc at the last minute.

Not sure I can agree. I found it a natural outgrowth of Ainz's cautious nature and his "play-it-by-ear" approach at this early stage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1