• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Designer Ken Sugimori Reveals Serperior's Connection to Rose of Versailles' Oscar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It's like Unova is more multicultural and ethnically diverse than the other regions, which may explain why Game Freak staff members travel to US and learn how ethnically diverse is and decided to make it one for the BW with it.

Unova should celebrate its region for being a multicultural region.

Also, please credit to the Bulbagarden staff members for translating this magazine.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
^ Did you even read the article? Bulbagarden has nothing to do with this as it was translated by Dr. Lava.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
That's great that not only are the anime writers big Rose of Versailles fans but so are the game designers.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Also, please credit to the Bulbagarden staff members for translating this magazine.

Somer-_- wrote:
^ Did you even read the article? Bulbagarden has nothing to do with this as it was translated by Dr. Lava.

Lava credits them in his articles.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Many years ago I remember discussion of an episode of Pocket Monsters Best Wishes that had people drawing parallels to Versailles. Some characters in the episode wore outfits similar to the characters. It focused on flower Pokemon like Roserade and Dredear as well as Satoshi's Tsutarja being the focus of that episode. It was also the Best Wishes episode Satoshi cross dresses as Satoko.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I love this

Now I have a new respect for Serperior and specially Emboar because I'm a sucker for chinese warriors
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
This was very interesting!
Dr Lava

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
Glad y'all found it a good read. Bulbagarden staff wasn't actually involved with the translation progress, but a couple BG moderators DID send me links to a couple of the translations' Japanese transcriptions. Then I hired a translator to translate the interviews into English, then double-checked some key phrases with the volunteer translators on reddit's translator subreddit. Those Bulbagarden mods were SnorlaxMonster and ForceFire by the way. This whole project would have been much more difficult without their providing me the links to the archived JP-language blog where these interviews were transcribed in 2011. SnorlaxMonster was kind enough retweet links to these translations as well, which was also appreciated.

I'm still searching for the remaining Pokemon Origin issues of Nintendo Dream magazine from 2011. Unfortunately there aren't any more transcriptions available online -- there were only two, and the other ones need to be found, purchased, and scanned. But the issues I do have include interviews with other Game Freak devs about stuff like character design and music composition, so I'm having those interviews translated while I continue searching for the other magazines.

Cheers guys.

[Edit: Oh and if y'all're looking at the fact my account only has 1 post, and you're wondering if I created this account just to make this comment... lol yeah that's exactly what I did. I've read a handful of ANN articles over the years but never bothered to create an account till about 10 minutes ago.]
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Dr Lava wrote:
Glad y'all found it a good read. Bulbagarden staff wasn't actually involved with the translation progress, but a couple BG moderators DID send me links to a couple of the translations' Japanese transcriptions. Then I hired a translator to translate the interviews into English, then double-checked some key phrases with the volunteer translators on reddit's translator subreddit. Those Bulbagarden mods were SnorlaxMonster and ForceFire by the way. This whole project would have been much more difficult without their providing me the links to the archived JP-language blog where these interviews were transcribed in 2011. SnorlaxMonster was kind enough retweet links to these translations as well, which was also appreciated.

I'm still searching for the remaining Pokemon Origin issues of Nintendo Dream magazine from 2011. Unfortunately there aren't any more transcriptions available online -- there were only two, and the other ones need to be found, purchased, and scanned. But the issues I do have include interviews with other Game Freak devs about stuff like character design and music composition, so I'm having those interviews translated while I continue searching for the other magazines.

Cheers guys.

[Edit: Oh and if y'all're looking at the fact my account only has 1 post, and you're wondering if I created this account just to make this comment... lol yeah that's exactly what I did. I've read a handful of ANN articles over the years but never bothered to create an account till about 10 minutes ago.]

Good to see you around, i am hoping you'll be there too when they report it on Bulbagarden and Bulbapedia articles here as well! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1