• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega39's Switch Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
As former Nintendo of America CEO Reggie would say, "My body is ready!!" Also though I was one of the people that basically lost hope for Project Diva (or even Mirai at that point) coming to the Nintendo Switch. Then as I was waking up yesterday a friend on Discord posted to our server's gaming channel with a link to the trailer. I was skeptical at first, but I saw the effort put into the video and the authenticity of it etc and I shed a manly tear of excitement. Mega 39s is based on Future Tone (I know you guys reading this post notice the similar song duration bar on the bottom and other similar mechanics if you watch the trailer closely), so we essentially are getting a potential portable version (unless you solely plan on playing it in Docked mode) of Future Tone! I'll likely primarily be playing it in tablet/portable mode (aside from a possible Twitch stream here or there), and my Switch will finally come with me on my anime convention (and otherwise) trips in 2020! I'm also hyped that the 10 new songs to the series are also coming out as paid DLC for the PS4 version of Future Tone sometime in 2020!

2020, BRING IT!

Last edited by Shiggity on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Mega 39s is based on Future Tone (I know you guys reading this post notice the similar song duration bar on the bottom and other similar mechanics if you watch the trailer closely)

If it's really like Future Tone (which I don't see how you're so sure about it), then I don't have to bother. I still haven't even bought the DX version myself, as it's really expensive to import, isn't even complete thanks to new DLC and I'm not really a fan of the arcade gameplay anyway. I'm also extremely skeptical to play a Project Diva on the Switch, the joy cons are simply horrible, especially if you have to play a rhythm game with them.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Shiggity wrote:
Mega 39s is based on Future Tone (I know you guys reading this post notice the similar song duration bar on the bottom and other similar mechanics if you watch the trailer closely)

If it's really like Future Tone (which I don't see how you're so sure about it), then I don't have to bother. I still haven't even bought the DX version myself, as it's really expensive to import, isn't even complete thanks to new DLC and I'm not really a fan of the arcade gameplay anyway. I'm also extremely skeptical to play a Project Diva on the Switch, the joy cons are simply horrible, especially if you have to play a rhythm game with them.

If you look at the official page for the game you'll see obvious user interface similarities to Future Tone in Mega 39s that show it's heavily based or influenced by Future Tone:

http://miku.sega.jp/mega39s/

Look at the bottom song duration meter/bar in the screenshots and then look for gameplay screenshots from Future Tone. It's almost identical.

Also, you don't necessarily NEED to play with the joycons unless your Switch is primarily docked 99.999% of the time, but even then I'm sure you could use the Pro Controller for a better experience if that's what you prefer and are after. Sega (I'm feeling) is trying to rekindle interest in Project Diva and it only makes sense to go for the Nintendo Switch because the first ever Project Diva game was released on the Playstation Portable (PSP) and was a mobile/handheld console game. Sure there's the Hatsune Miku Project Mirai series on 3DS/2DS, but those games are considered spinoffs, and never the same as the mainline Diva series. The Switch is used in portable mode by many, and it all comes down to getting used to where the buttons are on the joycons and then you're golden and you're on your way to getting perfect scores on all the songs the game has to offer.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Could this game come to PS4/One and on PC (Steam)?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

It's effectively already on PS4 as Future Tone.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Nice, what about for PC?
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Primus wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Nice, what about for PC?

Sega hasn't voiced or announced any plans for an official PC port of any Project Diva game.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
If you look at the official page for the game you'll see obvious user interface similarities to Future Tone in Mega 39s that show it's heavily based or influenced by Future Tone:

Thanks for pointing that out. As it's basically just a Future Tone clone, there really isn't any reason to buy it, too bad, I was really hoping for a new none arcade Project Diva game Sad
In regards to the Switch, yes I would play 99% of the time docked, I'm rarely on longer rides (in fact probably only once a year to the Gamescom). The pro controller isn't really good either, as every so called pro controller of every console so far.
This could be called nitpicking, but I think A, B, X, Y buttons are a bit annoying compared to the normal PS buttons, or at least unfamiliar.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. As it's basically just a Future Tone clone, there really isn't any reason to buy it, too bad, I was really hoping for a new none arcade Project Diva game Sad
In regards to the Switch, yes I would play 99% of the time docked, I'm rarely on longer rides (in fact probably only once a year to the Gamescom). The pro controller isn't really good either, as every so called pro controller of every console so far.
This could be called nitpicking, but I think A, B, X, Y buttons are a bit annoying compared to the normal PS buttons, or at least unfamiliar.

You're welcome. I hope I didn't come across as snarky etc... I love it that it's a "Future Tone clone". I love Future Tone, and I've always dreamed of having it in portable form on any console. I've played a bit of Project Mirai so the A, B, X, Y stuff is fine by me, but the Mirai way of how the notes appear is not to my liking (the line grid thing). Having the alphabet/letter buttons showing up is much more natural for a Project Diva game (of which I know Mirai is not).

I've been playing handheld PD since the first game on PSP, so I don't think getting used to playing Mega 39s in portable mode will be a problem... it'll in fact be my preferred way to play since I won't have to deal with TV input lag when in docked mode.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

I guess all the reason for me to buy it. I pefer Nintendo's controllers, and primarily use my Switch to play. I've never played any of the Project Diva games, though. Was planning on dabbling into Miku via Project Mirai.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
I've been playing handheld PD since the first game on PSP, so I don't think getting used to playing Mega 39s in portable mode will be a problem... it'll in fact be my preferred way to play since I won't have to deal with TV input lag when in docked mode.

I've played the first Project Diva once, in my opinion it's impossible on handheld xD
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

I've played the first Project Diva once, in my opinion it's impossible on handheld xD

Practice makes perfect Wink It actually took me longer to get used to a full size PS3/PS4 (depending on game version) controller to get used to full-sized console controllers/layout. I can go back and forth now, but it took time and practice.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote
Also, check this asshat out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ia35N8m8u0

He's bashing on Mega 39s' announcement and he's calling Project Diva fans some interesting names, all because he's butthurt that no new Sonic games were announced... Wow... lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1