• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Wit Studio

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Wada back at it again with his BS.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Poor people. So much effort that so many people are putting in the production of this anime and in the end Netflix will receive all the credits for it (Assuming that Netflix continues transmitting the + Ultra block animations in this period.).
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:

What BS?
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Bioshocker wrote:

What BS?

Read the quesrion about work-life balance at Wit.
Staff clearly overworked: hel-
Wada: Is fun!

It's not the first time he defended their awful working conditions. It's more or less the same answer from 2017.

Wada: Good food and good sleep. They have to sleep, because they'll die otherwise. The best thing is the smiles of all the fans. So all the animators are sitting at their desk all day and all night, just imagine that. What saves them from depression is one positive comment from a fan. That's why are going to take all your positive aura and energy bars back to the studio.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the interview. That was an excellent read. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles for 2020. Also, I'm glad to see Yutaka Yamada getting more high-profile projecs after Vinland Saga. The guy is a genius and I can't wait to hear his OST...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maiko Okada, an animation producer for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, also joined the panel to talk about her role. Okada said she was aware that Wit Studio was known for more zombie-like stories recently, but hoped that making something more modern and original would be a good challenge for the studio.

"Zombie-like stories?" Wit just released Vinland Saga and produced Mahoutsukai no Yome in 2017. Okada seems to be undervaluing her own studio's diversity.

Having laughed at the portrayals of Houston in Uchuu Kyoudai, I can't wait to see Wit's LA. All the characters in Space Brothers were speaking English most of the time, but the script was in Japanese. Black Lagoon was the same. Honestly I'd prefer if they stuck to Japanese rather than listening to the seiyuu try to speak languages with which they are unfamiliar.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Thanks a lot for the interview. That was an excellent read. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles for 2020. Also, I'm glad to see Yutaka Yamada getting more high-profile projecs after Vinland Saga. The guy is a genius and I can't wait to hear his OST...

Yeah, this show and the collection of staff sound great. Can't wait to see it next year.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:

It's not the first time he defended their awful working conditions. It's more or less the same answer from 2017.

Wada: Good food and good sleep. They have to sleep, because they'll die otherwise. The best thing is the smiles of all the fans. So all the animators are sitting at their desk all day and all night, just imagine that. What saves them from depression is one positive comment from a fan. That's why are going to take all your positive aura and energy bars back to the studio.

How do you know the work conditions at Wit are bad?
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode at AX it was really fun. I found it was very interesting they hired a writer outside of anime and I think that will make the writing even stronger. The story played out quite well and I could see it as a live-action just as easily. The nods to LA were very funny and the In and Out was a nice touch. I can't wait for more of the show when it airs!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

I can help answer this question but it does require a general understanding of detecting between great and poor anime production schedules. I'm sure this happened with other titles made by Studio Wit, but Attack on Titan's production is usually the go-to when people refer to the studio's working conditions.

Since season 1, whole episodes would have multiple animation directors, assistant animation directors, key animators and 2nd key animators. The average fan wouldn't be able to notice when conventional dialogue scenes characters look consistently on-model to character designer, Kyoji Asano's sheets and the action scenes are handled by talented animators like Takumi Ebisu and Arifumi Imai. But having more than 2 animation directors for almost every episode of a production and so many key animators and 2nd key animators is not a sign of a healthy production due to the fact that so many people are being recruit to make sure deadlines are met. You can see the same problem with other anime titles and their productions like Dragon Ball Super, God Eater or Black Clover. It's just that the woes of Attack on Titan's production doesn't show as easily due to its presentation. Even Sakugablog put out an article how supposedly Wit is done with the show after the second half of season 3.
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Bioshocker wrote:

Wit having poor working conditions isn't a secret or anything. That's why Wada always dodges the question. The studio has a relatively small team that is constantly overworked. Their projects on the other hand are too ambitious. The Rolling Girls had a promising start too, but fell apart quickly. All Attack on Titan seasons were heavily rushed. One of S3 part 2's action animation directors complained about the tight schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1