• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Secretly, I've Been Suffering About Being Sexless GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The cover of this looks like a total ripoff of My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
The cover of this looks like a total ripoff of My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness.

Came here to say the same thing. The name of the book is kind of similar too. Honestly when I first saw the cover for a second I thought it was in the MLEWL series until I realised it was more moe.
I don't know what the cover is like in Japan but I wonder if the English licensor, seeing how well MLEWL is doing, decided to make it similar so people associated it with that title.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my first thought was that "sexless" was being used as code for "agender" rather than "I haven't had sex in aaaaages". That said, while it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, I might check it out anyways due to what sounds like a healthy dose of sex positivity going on in the story.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:

Came here to say the same thing. The name of the book is kind of similar too. Honestly when I first saw the cover for a second I thought it was in the MLEWL series until I realised it was more moe.
I don't know what the cover is like in Japan but I wonder if the English licensor, seeing how well MLEWL is doing, decided to make it similar so people associated it with that title.

The thumbnail for the review (not the actual pic used in it) seems to show the Japanese version of the cover which looks exactly the same. So I guess this is a decision from the Japan side.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
harminia wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:

The thumbnail for the review (not the actual pic used in it) seems to show the Japanese version of the cover which looks exactly the same. So I guess this is a decision from the Japan side.

Honestly, they have only a common color style, while this comic has more detailed art and a noticeable element of moe. At the same time, I do not exclude that this is intentional and both comics were released in some thematic series with the title a la "work about the sexuality problems"
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:

I agree with you both, I thought the exact same thing!
Once a certain theme (or even a little detail) becomes popular then all sorts of other works tend to follow the trend.

I'm sure it came from the Japanese side too. Just think of how many anime jumped on the "maid" bandwagon years ago? How many "dark magical girl" shows appeared after Madoka Magica? How similar Gasaraki was to Evangelion, even down to its Rei Ayanami-like character? I remember reading that after Nausicaa came out years ago, even the format of the title was copied by others. "Kaze no Tani no Nausciaa" gave birth to several shows following the same "X no Y no Z" format for their name.

Stories that touch on these sorts of issues with sexuality seem to be popular these days, so this is not unexpected.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I rather suspect that public libraries will not be stocking this one.....
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Somehow, I rather suspect that public libraries will not be stocking this one.....

Mine does, just in the adult graphics rather than with most of the manga in teen. Smile
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Yeah, my first thought was that "sexless" was being used as code for "agender" rather than "I haven't had sex in aaaaages". That said, while it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, I might check it out anyways due to what sounds like a healthy dose of sex positivity going on in the story.

As with MLEWL (I've read the entire series to date), this title deals with a topic that, if ignored for too long, can have a toxic, corrosive effect on even the (otherwise) healthiest of relationships. I hear the comments about a bandwagon being jumped on, but there are times when that's a good thing.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
I hear the comments about a bandwagon being jumped on, but there are times when that's a good thing.

Yes, of course! I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
I hear the comments about a bandwagon being jumped on, but there are times when that's a good thing.

Yes, of course! I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

So sorry! Smile I didn't realize my comment could be misinterpreted as any sort of criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1