• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia GN 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we receive an explication of Gentle's past that paints him as a tragic figure, someone who wished to help others as a hero, but who was unable to succeed within the rigid metrics of professional heroism.
The system didn't exclude him so much as he was unsuited for the system. He screwed up a pro hero's rescue because he intervened without proper training and failed his tests multiple times.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't really that invested in the low-stakes battle between Gentle and Midoriya, but I gotta say Gentle's powers made for some cool action scenes, and it's gonna be fun to see them animated later down the line.

Also, when the students put on the show and Eri finally smiled, it made for a surprisingly cathartic ending. Probably my favourite ending of all the MHA arcs so far Very Happy

As for Endeavour, I agree that Horikoshi is handling his character very well. The volume ended in a pretty damn good cliffhanger, with the new number one hero getting his face scarred just like his son.

Looking forward to see how his character progresses from now on.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
As for Endeavour, I agree that Horikoshi is handling his character very well. The volume ended in a pretty damn good cliffhanger, with the new number one hero getting his face scarred just like his son.

Looking forward to see how his character progresses from now on.

I am too, but we seem to be a couple of the few. Remember, Horikoshi was actually accused of normalizing paternal abuse because of Endeavor's redemption arc, to the point where many people actually ended up sending him death threats.

If Horikoshi really WAS normalizing abuse, Endeavor's family would've forgiven him immediately and he'd go back to being an asshole. But ALL of them realize that Enji has a whole world of work ahead of him to make it up to his family AND live up to the title of the Number 1 Hero.

Honestly, this Tweet perfectly symbolizes my frustrations with this, especially when it comes to stupid-ass double standards based on how aesthetically attractive or not someone is.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

Remember, Horikoshi was actually accused of normalizing paternal abuse because of Endeavor's redemption arc, to the point where many people actually ended up sending him death threats.

Yeah, it's sad.

I can understand people having doubts about a redemption storyline for Endeavour, especially since a) his arc is heading into a direction we don't often see and b) paternal abuse is a complex and delicate issue. However, it's precisely because of this that it's a topic worth exploring.

To me, it's clear that Horikoshi understands that redemption takes time and effort. But that's only my impression so far. We'll just have to wait and see how the story develops.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1