• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio DEEN to Co-Produce Sailor Moon Eternal 2-Part Anime Film Project With Toei

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this news. I don't hate Studio DEEN as much as some fans do and they've done some good stuff like Showa Rakugo but I also feel like they're kind of an average studio at best and don't really have a whole lot of stand out works at least in recent years. I'm hoping at best they're only taking on an assist role which might be preferable to how Toei outsourced the first two seasons to their Toei Philippines branch after how those seasons turned out. DEEN would hopefully at least make it look like a finished product even if it's not fantastic looking. I'm hoping it will still look at least as good as the Digimon Adventure Tri series. On the bright side, that they have an official site for Eternal and that they're hiring DEEN gives me some hope that they might be nearing competition on the script and they might be ready to start animation production work soon and hopefully this means we might get it sooner in 2020 rather than later.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
Studio DEEN is kind of J.C. Staff 2.0. I've heard of people complained that StudioDEEN ruined The Seven Deadly Sins's 3rd season and they say it's worse than J.C Staff's One Punch Man 2nd season, which had a not great but not bad animation.(For me,OPM animation is not bad)
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm hoping at best they're only taking on an assist role which might be preferable to how Toei outsourced the first two seasons to their Toei Philippines branch after how those seasons turned out.

They worked on season 3 as well so are we going to rag on them for those episodes too? Rolling Eyes

ErikaD.D wrote:
Studio DEEN is kind of J.C. Staff 2.0. I've heard of people complained that StudioDEEN ruined The Seven Deadly Sins's 3rd season and they say it's worse than J.C Staff's One Punch Man 2nd season, which had a not great but not bad animation.(For me,OPM animation is not bad)

The ironic thing is that the in addition to DEEN, the current director has also been involved with JC Staff as well (see Golden Time, Back Street Girls and the upcoming Mewkledreamy anime) so I would imagine the response being worse if they went there for these films due to how bad the OPM 2 reactions ended up being from beginning to end.

Back to Eternal, fans wanted a Sailor Moon not done at Toei since Crystal season 1 and this is the closest thing to it (though how much DEEN is involved is another matter because for a recent example, Toei had Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho completely done at Gonzo and we know how that turned out) and if these end up terrible, at least we know who is to blame because when the previous news came out, they specifically acknowledged Naoko Takeuchi as Supervisor for these films and people elsewhere were hyping up her involvement since so if these turn out bad, it's not DEEN, Toei, Kodansha, Tadano or Kon's fault but all of it will be on Takeuchi plus if last month's rumors from Spain & Germany are true, we'll be hearing her name a lot in the coming months in regards to international distribution.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Reminder: The staff and production circumstances are much more important than the studio name.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

They worked on season 3 as well so are we going to rag on them for those episodes too? Rolling Eyes
While season 3 was an improvement over the first two seasons, it still had some off model character art, especially towards the end. Mistress 9’s wonky face being one of the prime examples. And while the first two seasons fixed some of the issues on the BD, they didn’t really do that for s3. The biggest improvement for s3 was the return of the 2D transformations and the more expressive character designs which according to rumors the latter was at Naoko’s request. And I don’t know if the Filipino branch would be up to the task for a movie even if s3 was an improvement overall.

Quote:

Back to Eternal, fans wanted a Sailor Moon not done at Toei since Crystal season 1 and this is the closest thing to it (though how much DEEN is involved is another matter because for a recent example, Toei had Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho completely done at Gonzo and we know how that turned out) and if these end up terrible, at least we know who is to blame because when the previous news came out, they specifically acknowledged Naoko Takeuchi as Supervisor for these films and people elsewhere were hyping up her involvement since so if these turn out bad, it's not DEEN, Toei, Kodansha, Tadano or Kon's fault but all of it will be on Takeuchi plus if last month's rumors from Spain & Germany are true, we'll be hearing her name a lot in the coming months in regards to international distribution.
While Naoko likely has final approval, I do have to speculate though that it may have been Chiaki Kon who requested to bring on some DEEN animators she may have had past experience working with as Kon has worked on a number of DEEN shows before like When They Cry, Hetalia, and Junjo Romantica. All of which of those shows as far as I’m aware are decent adaptations with multiple seasons and seem to be decently liked by their fans even if the latter two have mixed receptions among the wider anime fandom. Though the issues fans have with Hetalia and Junjo Romantica have more to do with the content themselves than their adaptation quality. So Kon may have used her past ties to bring DEEN on board if maybe she feels more comfortable working with them than Toei.
geepee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
let's see how they handle Super S this time.The 90's version turned out to be one of the weakest arcs due to Toei trying too hard to appeal to the younger audiences after S...
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
I agree as Super S was the first season of the original anime where it became obvious that it had jumped the shark.

Once thing that was different about the original anime was instead of sticking closely to the manga's version of the storyline, the original anime instead presented a watered-down version of the storyline to appeal more to younger audiences. ex. Making Usagi more comical and immature compared to her counterpart from the original manga counterpart.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Toei’s strategy 2.0 for old licence they barely care about but still want to make money on. If it’s bad, then it will be « all the subcontractor’s fault » (from Toei’s ardent defenders point of view).

Well, I guess Deen couldn’t be worse than Bridge for Soul of Gold or Gonzo for Saintia Shô.

SuiSeiken, maybe trolling, maybe not
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to give up hope because the Dream arc is one of my favorites in the manga and seeing it being given a faithful adaptation was the main reason I've been supporting Crystal for this long. But I still don't know why they didn't just adapt it as a 12 episode season like the previous seasons were and I feel like they're a bit in over their heads trying to adapt it as a movie.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm conflicted, as looking back on the track record for Deen, they did help make classics such as Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½ and You're Under Arrest anime franchise.

But on the other hand, they did make the disgusting turd known as "Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy", one of the worst anime series ever made. Evil or Very Mad

I'd rather Toei have AIC work with them instead, but either way, am I the only one who feels the fact Toei Animation themselves is not working on the animation, like with Saintia Sho, is really showing a strong, fast-increasing sense of laziness from the company (similarly to Disney nowadays), trying to make money by sacrificing effort and artistic integrity? Mad

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. DEEN is a garbage studio in terms of animation quality. Pierrot would be a better choice.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I'd rather Toei have AIC work with them instead, but either way, am I the only one who feels the fact Toei Animation themselves is not working on the animation, like with Saintia Sho, is really showing a strong, fast-increasing sense of laziness from the company (similarly to Disney nowadays), trying to make money by sacrificing effort and artistic integrity? Mad
Toei still treats their popular shows well. They gave Digimon an animation quality upgrade for Last Evolution Kizuna after Tri sold well for them. DB Super Broly likewise got a big animation boost after DB Super did well for them in spite of a rocky start. And they have the upcoming One Piece movie which also have an impressive paint job. And of course they always give Precure the best animation staff.

Sailor Moon, while still a fan favorite among older generations, doesn't really bring in new fans as much anymore these days, in spite of Toei's claims that Crystal was aiming for both older moms and their daughters. 90s anime merch has always outsold the Crystal merch and the season three Blu Rays failed to sell much in spite of the efforts to improve the animation quality. The Sailor Moon brand has done more to market the live action stage shows and the 4D ride than they did Crystal. But I feel like Crystal was always poorly marketed it from the start.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Reminder: The staff and production circumstances are much more important than the studio name.
This, so much of the industry is freelancers. The studio rarely matters that much in most cases.
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Ugh. DEEN is a garbage studio in terms of animation quality. Pierrot would be a better choice.
*Ahem*
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=fate%2Fstay_night_unlimited_blade_works
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=kono_subarashii_sekai_ni_shukufuku_wo%21
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=nura%3A_rise_of_the_yokai_clan
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=rurouni_kenshin%3A_tsuioku-hen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And of course they almost always give Precure the best animation staff.

Fixed!

Never forget the dumpster fire that was Happiness Charge Precure.

Quote:
But I feel like Crystal was always poorly marketed it from the start.

From prime time ONA (supposed reason) to late night TV series (reruns w/Blu-ray masters & season 3 premieres) to movies. It's kinda funny because the last series I know of to get this inconsistent treatment is Initial D. From two TV seasons to one movie to three PPV seasons.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Toei still treats their popular shows well. They gave Digimon an animation quality upgrade for Last Evolution Kizuna after Tri sold well for them. DB Super Broly likewise got a big animation boost after DB Super did well for them in spite of a rocky start. And they have the upcoming One Piece movie which also have an impressive paint job. And of course they always give Precure the best animation staff.

Sailor Moon, while still a fan favorite among older generations, doesn't really bring in new fans as much anymore these days, in spite of Toei's claims that Crystal was aiming for both older moms and their daughters. 90s anime merch has always outsold the Crystal merch and the season three Blu Rays failed to sell much in spite of the efforts to improve the animation quality. The Sailor Moon brand has done more to market the live action stage shows and the 4D ride than they did Crystal. But I feel like Crystal was always poorly marketed it from the start.

That sucks (and the individual Blu-Rays of seasons one to two sold poorly in Japan too while they somehow got popular in the US for reasons I'll never understand as those seasons were just lazy, sloppy, rushed, badly made Sailor Moon series that was nothing but a cash grab), sadly, to quote Phil Vischer, I have a bad feeling the Sailor Soldiers nowadays are destined to become the unloved stepsisters at Toei Animation, picking up whatever table scraps and crumbs were left after the “true children” (Dragon Ball characters, Precure, One Piece characters) had eaten their fill of the feast. Sad

Even when Sailor Moon's sold a lot of 90's anime merchandise, notice how Pretty Cure (a lot of which hasn't been that good/great in my opinion) still got the lion share of the attention, the fact Toei now seems to have, to me, a stupid desire to abandon the very anime that helped revolutionize magical girls and made them popular in the 90's is stupid. I have a feeling it's just gonna get worse...I just want future generations to have a good, likable, successful Sailor Moon anime/know how great the series is like we all used to Sad

I do agree poor marketing was a good idea and Toei should have planned it better, or maybe at least, worked to make sure the art/animation wasn't horrible looking, had better quality control!! I'm literally losing my faith in them, that phrase they have now, "Sharing Dreams Around the World", does that mean ANYTHING?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3