• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SHAFT Makes TV Anime for Azone's Assault Lily Doll Franchise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
the character designs look the same as from senran kagura so guess they got same person doin it for this series.
hopefully lost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
An unexpected, but pleasant surprise. I already like the aesthetics just from this one image. Also, you may want to know that Saeki Shouji storyboarded a lot of 2017 Sangatsu no Lion episodes, according to anidb
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
hopefully lost wrote:
An unexpected, but pleasant surprise. I already like the aesthetics just from this one image. Also, you may want to know that Saeki Shouji storyboarded a lot of 2017 Sangatsu no Lion episodes, according to anidb

He storyboarded two episodes of Fate/EXTRA Last Encore as well. Saeki has done freelance work for other studios before, but I believe this will be the first non-Gainax show directed by him. It's also very rare for a SHAFT show not to have Akiyuki Simbo credited as chief director.
hopefully lost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
hopefully lost wrote:

He storyboarded two episodes of Fate/EXTRA Last Encore as well. Saeki has done freelance work for other studios before, but I believe this will be the first non-Gainax show directed by him. It's also very rare for a SHAFT show not to have Akiyuki Simbo credited as chief director.

yeah, the best arc of the show. And the most confusing. I wonder if we'll see Shinbou credited as animation supervisor, like in magia record
XSp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
CHARM synchronization rates are highly dependant on futomomo. xD
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
praise the neck bends/twists~
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
the character designs look the same as from senran kagura so guess they got same person doin it for this series.
Nan Yaegashi is original character designer, I believe, but for this anime, but Mieko Hosoi will work on designs for this anime.

As for anime itself, dunno, nice thighs on these girls, but I have a feeling I have seen that picture billions of times so far - two girls, in front cute, short-haired innocent looking shorty, and behind her long-dark-haired mysterious vibes serious girl. Sad

Could be fun.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This article somewhat misleading IMO - the presented character designs aren't related to anime. This is how characters would look like in actual anime.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
This article somewhat misleading IMO - the presented character designs aren't related to anime. This is how characters would look like in actual anime.

Those look... exactly the same as the designs in the article, besides a few very subtle differences. Unless you meant the promo image, with way too much detail for animation.

Have to say, this both looks and sounds like a bland battling-girls affair loosely inspired by Madoka (probably why Shaft picked it up). "Battles waged by beautiful girls with weapons" isn't exactly an inspired concept, and it's literally based on a series of dolls. But I guess we'll see.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This is good and the SK artist makes it better. We need more anime like this.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly vague enough a concept to play with - it could go either way. The latest kinda-Madoka-like show here I can think of was Granbelm, and that was pretty good, so hey, why not, I guess? Interested in seeing who the writers are, anyway.

Also...
Quote:
On Earth in the near future, humanity faced imminent destruction from mysterious giant creatures known as "Huge." The entire world unites against the Huge, and successfully develops weaponry known as "CHARM" (Counter Huge Arms) by combining science and magic.

...lol. HUUUUUGE!!
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:

Those look... exactly the same as the designs in the article, besides a few very subtle differences. Unless you meant the promo image, with way too much detail for animation.

Nope, those character designs are absolutely different - Yaegashi Nan has a distinct art style that everyone who knows Senran Kagura could instantly recognize, while an actual anime would have much more generic character design.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
Finally Shaft is doing something, and something new, and it's a toy commercial. But it's a toy that was previously used to model Little Armory kits, before LA had its own figma... hmm...

dark_bozu wrote:

Nope, those character designs are absolutely different - Yaegashi Nan has a distinct art style that everyone who knows Senran Kagura could instantly recognize, while an actual anime would have much more generic character design.

I mean, you can still tell that the "for animation" character designs are based off Yaegashi's artwork/original designs, just like the anime character designs for SK are obviously based off his designs, and Madoka character designs are obviously based off Aoki Ume's art.

On a similar note, it's pretty crazy to see so many characters drawn by Yaegashi, where most have totally reasonably sized chests.
Andrea1234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
This is awesome!
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I mean, you can still tell that the "for animation" character designs are based off Yaegashi's artwork/original designs, just like the anime character designs for SK are obviously based off his designs, and Madoka character designs are obviously based off Aoki Ume's art.

On a similar note, it's pretty crazy to see so many characters drawn by Yaegashi, where most have totally reasonably sized chests.

I won't deny it, but still - he's not a character designer for this anime. My point is: why not include an anime character designs, so people would have a better idea how characters would look like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2