• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Blade of the Immortal is Blood-Soaked Beauty

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The colour pallet and to some degree the design of the environment is very reminiscent of Afro Samuria. As for the blood and gore, well I'm not disappointed, it's just the way some people were going on about it, I was expecting something more. People bleeding a gallon of blood is nothing in Anime and I've seen comedies with more violent scenes(I put it as a link as I thought embedding it would get the comment removed) so a show about violent deaths seem rather tame.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Gotta agree that episode 1 was far more interesting than episode 2 (although it wasn't bad per se). I'm also hoping fight will get more interesting over time, there's only so many time I can see the bad guy getting stabbed from behind after thinking he killed Manji without getting bored.

I think it could have been interesting if there was some sort of visual count of the good versus evil person Manji killed, like if he had tattoo (say dot or line) that would appear every time he killed a "good" person and disappeared every time he killed an "evil" one so that part of the story would be figuring out what moral value the deity that curse Manji works on.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The colour pallet and to some degree the design of the environment is very reminiscent of Afro Samuria.

I thought both were reminiscent of Shigurui (which the director also worked on) myself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
^ And Texhnolyze too.

Is it ever explained (I don't need the explanation now, if it will be later) why Manji has scars and is apparently missing an eye (which could explain part of why he's at such a disadvantage in his swordsmanship)?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

I'm not watching the anime yet, but it sounds as though they skipped the bulk of the first volume. There was an extended flashback which showed how he got where and how he is before he met Rin. I will not go into detail as they may still provide the flashback but the answer to your question is simple, the scars and missing eye spoiler[occurred before he became immortal.]
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally sort of concerned about this adaptation, I think it's only slated for 24 episodes for the whole THIRTY VOLUME manga, and it's definitely showing with the direction thus far.

It keeps barreling through scenes before you can mentally or emotionally register the context, the first episode mostly skipped over Manji's backstory and some of the intro stuff, got parts of Rin's backstory, Manji and Rin's meeting, Kuroi Sabato's introduction and death and more all in like 20ish minutes.

I've read the first few volumes of the manga and things blurred by so quick that I didn't even understand how Rin met Manji and then up and found Kuroi Sabato like minutes later. The stuff with the letter was like a blink and you'll miss it thing, then suddenly they made the arrangements, got into the fight, etc, and characters' speeches are verbose yet cut together/cut off so fast that it feels very disorienting. The revelation with Sabato's shoulder heads hardly seemed to register before he just got diced up like nothing. Some of the style is a bit nice, but the narrative doesn't feel quite as abstracted enough to me to click as it does for Steve, I feel like they didn't properly retool or trim parts of the story enough for some raw feeling, the hurried content definitely sticks out more than giving the sensation of cyclical violence as tired yet no-less-important and sad brutalism. Then other scenes like the gag with the painter and the background brawl which was so abrupt here that I was just confused where in the manga it was paced better and I was rolling from laughter, or how Manji got trapped by the bald guy's ropes and it had actual tension in the manga, but here he escapes it so quickly and kills the guy, you can barely process HOW he got out of the ropes than just sort of grinding through them, and it was done in a flash.

Idk, I'm starting to get concerned, I know that joke with Magatsu was meant to undercut it better with this new context of quick direction and all, but I think there still should be a sense of import and danger from these NAMED Itto-ryu assassins, even if they didn't last long in the manga, it was still tense enough to be seen AS a threat. Maybe things will iron out better later, but even for a stripped down more formalist version of the manga, it feels wonky - doesn't quite nail that lean, precise storytelling and feel for an alternately styled companion piece while probably too hectic with the details to work on its own as a complete, coherent adaptation. We'll see how it shapes up though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ And Texhnolyze too.

Is it ever explained (I don't need the explanation now, if it will be later) why Manji has scars and is apparently missing an eye (which could explain part of why he's at such a disadvantage in his swordsmanship)?

Scars and his missing eye happened before he became immortal-The first episode opens with his last battle before he became immortal.
(immortality has made his swordmanship rusty)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I'm personally sort of concerned about this adaptation, I think it's only slated for 24 episodes for the whole THIRTY VOLUME manga, and it's definitely showing with the direction thus far.

It keeps barreling through scenes before you can mentally or emotionally register the context, the first episode mostly skipped over Manji's backstory and some of the intro stuff, got parts of Rin's backstory, Manji and Rin's meeting, Kuroi Sabato's introduction and death and more all in like 20ish minutes.

24 episodes for 206ish manga chapters-not a few of which are just panel upon panel of scenes containing limited to zero dialogue.

Unlike the 2008 anime,the core of Mugen no Juunin (an undying love for Black Sabbath) has been captured by the 2019 adaptation,at least with these two episodes...
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
I’m on the fence about this one. Lots of bloody fight scenes and certainly stylish, but I’m not finding Rin as endearing as Dororo or Asirpa in Golden Kamuy. I got really turned off by the innuendo, too (“you did sell your body to me...maybe in four years...”) Dororo and Golden Kamuy manage to tell great bloody over the top action packed stories without sexualising their underaged main girls or the violence threatened against them, so it can be done. Hopefully, Rin will get more character development (and skill) and be less of a damsel in distress or a jealous sorta-lover/sorta-sister.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
24 episodes for 206ish manga chapters-not a few of which are just panel upon panel of scenes containing limited to zero dialogue.

Unlike the 2008 anime,the core of Mugen no Juunin (an undying love for Black Sabbath) has been captured by the 2019 adaptation,at least with these two episodes...
I maybe mixing this up with something else, but I'm sure I heard that the author is being consulted on scenes he considers filler that can be removed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:04 am Reply with quote
Not keen on the action scenes. The quick cuts makes it hard to follow...
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Magatsu saying that the wound is nothing much... thinking back, this wound will end having a significant role in the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1