• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Temper Your Expectations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elric4985

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm still hoping for a Dino Crisis remake/reboot
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Employee no longer working at MangaGamer: This is extremely sad to see this person go, visual novel may be a niche title, but nonetheless, an anime adoption enjoy the true stay of the anime fans branching out to the visual novels.

Okami 2: This is totally excitied, i had this PS2 version back in 2000s, but we never completed it. Hopefully, i hope Okami 2 gets sold more and better compared to the original game that never sold pretty well.

Persona 5 Arena Release Date: Impressive.

Suda51 on his horror-related project: That's nice to make a horror-themed better and more accurate.

Muv-Luv is back: I began playing my first visual novel titles that game out with adult content in it, i hope it's going to be a remake one, instead of an sequel.

Fighting Games: Good to see Broly back in action!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The bit about Manga Gamer wouldn't surprise me. It's pretty obvious that they sell a product with very limited sales potential as is. I've found myself wondering why they always have so many projects ongoing, even some that are in progress for a long time, and I figure having lots of projects hedges against having times where they sell nothing. The possible change in a prior agreement with a translator isn't all that odd either, considering the timing. Recently, Manga Gamer had an issue with its payment processor of some kind that went on through a good chunk of the summer where they couldn't sell games through their site at all, so I imagine they are even more cash-strapped than usual.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I can see the translator's position that if a company can only get by paying a pittance, then it isn't worthwhile. On the other hand, there aren't exactly a lot of options that officially support the game creators. Even buying a Japanese copy and using a fan translation means someone had to choose to give up their time and efforts, so I don't know that doing that but paying them a little bit for an official version is that different. The hard part is that I don't think we're dealing with a situation where a company that can afford to pay better refuses to do so it can do things like pay executives more or distribute it to shareholders.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting note about Muv-Luv Project Mikhail from the livestream: some of the developers are Square Enix veterans, with one of the two project leads having worked on Dirge of Cerberus and various Final Fantasy XIII games, and the broader team’s experience including multiple games in the Armored Core series.

There was also a good bit in the presentation where they said they hated pay-to-win, which got a round of applause from the crowd. You can watch the whole event with live English translation here: https://youtu.be/yIPDPs3eAv4. The Project Mikhail stuff starts around 03:34:20.
Quote:
just the knowledge that I'm going to have to slog through a dumb, tropey high school love comedy in order to get everything out of the actual Muv-Luv story makes me hesitate. Someday, I swear!

But the dumb tropey romcom stuff is what makes the rest of the franchise hit that much harder. Plus, it’s so dumb, it’s laugh-out-loud funny at times (having a good translation helps).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Last night, I preloaded SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays for Switch, turns out that the Japanese version also has English options like the Asia version and not just the Premium G Sound Version like I keep hearing either, but also the standard edition as well.

In other news, I wonder if the Japanese side of the eroge industry is having all of these issues Mangagamer has when it comes to employee conditions or something similar? It doesn't help that these companies are dropping like flies due to platforms like DMM.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
About muvluv; I remember it being metnioned that an anime is also on the table.

Greed1914 wrote:

I'm not sure what the answer is. I can see the translator's position that if a company can only get by paying a pittance, then it isn't worthwhile. On the other hand, there aren't exactly a lot of options that officially support the game creators. Even buying a Japanese copy and using a fan translation means someone had to choose to give up their time and efforts, so I don't know that doing that but paying them a little bit for an official version is that different. The hard part is that I don't think we're dealing with a situation where a company that can afford to pay better refuses to do so it can do things like pay executives more or distribute it to shareholders.

I use the third world sweat shop logic; sure, they are being exploited, but the alternative if to stop suporting the companies that give them jobs and them landing in prostitution because those companies are their best alternatives. sometimes the perfect option just does not exist.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Most eroge in Japan also only sell a few thousand copies at most. The biggest hits tend to be the games where the relationships and story are more prevalent than the smut: the ero scenes don't turn off people and they can be easily ported to other platforms with the naughty bits trimmed.

Aside from the really high-production stuff like Illusion Soft games, most eroge are also pretty cheaply made, so selling a few thousand copies is usually good enough to break even. Digital distribution and certain companies selling their games for really cutthroat prices has really shaken things up, though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
-Mangagamer: Yet another story about worker exploitation. The industry needs to do something about this.

-Okami 2: It would be nice to see another one, but I doubt Kamiya would be involved.

-Persona 5 Scramble: Neat

-CAPCOM IPS: Man, there are a lot. I'd say my top five would be Dino Crisis, Darkstalkers, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, and Ghosts n' Goblins. Nice to see DMC5 leading the charge of dormant IPs
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because I had no expectations, but P5 Scamble looks kind of legit. It basically looks like a sequel with musou combat. I'm really looking forward to it now.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Okami 3 would be fantastic, but I'm not sure there's a development studio out there I'd trust to make it, Platinum included.

Capcom has a looooot if abandoned IP they could do something with. I very much doubt they ever will, though.

It's really hard to get excited for yet another Persona spin-off at this point. Especially for a story-driven Koei-Tecmo game, considering they have some of the worst writers in the business (it's astonishing how many times they've tried to adapt one of the most famous stories in the world and failed even to produce anything coherent).

Mangagamer always seemed pretty skeevy to me. I am inclined to believe these accusations, and am not surprised by them.

Re: the VN market, I think part of the reason it's so niche is that most of the VNs on Steam are garbage. For every one Steins;Gate or Clannad, there are roughly 400 cheap-ass, softcore eroge. The average consumer is not going to be able to recognize that there's more to the genre than the garbage--garbage that publishers like Mangagamer have peddled.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Give me Power Stone or give me death
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
In terms of abandoned Capcom IPs, I'd most like to see the Tech Romancer/Cyberbots/Armored Warriors franchise make its return (hopefully leaning more into Tech Romancer than the others in terms of its tone). I'd also love to see new installments of Dino Crisis, Darkstalkers, and Captain Commando (as long as you still get to play as Baby Commando). Also, maybe Ghost Trick, although I can't imagine what a sequel to that game would even look like.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Like you Heidi, I just can't see myself playing Muv-Luv a
Alternative. I'm sure it's good,but I'm not going to slog through some silly highschool stuff to get to the decent content.

A new Okami would nice,but I always felt it was good as a one off game (does anyone remember the half-ass sequel on the DS?). Now if Capcom wants to back a new Up,give my a new Godhand or Viewtiful Joe. Hell, I'll take a HD remaster of Viewtiful Joe 1 at this point.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Interesting note about Muv-Luv Project Mikhail from the livestream: some of the developers are Square Enix veterans, with one of the two project leads having worked on Dirge of Cerberus and various Final Fantasy XIII games, and the broader team’s experience including multiple games in the Armored Core series.

There was also a good bit in the presentation where they said they hated pay-to-win, which got a round of applause from the crowd. You can watch the whole event with live English translation here: https://youtu.be/yIPDPs3eAv4. The Project Mikhail stuff starts around 03:34:20.
Quote:
just the knowledge that I'm going to have to slog through a dumb, tropey high school love comedy in order to get everything out of the actual Muv-Luv story makes me hesitate. Someday, I swear!

But the dumb tropey romcom stuff is what makes the rest of the franchise hit that much harder. Plus, it’s so dumb, it’s laugh-out-loud funny at times (having a good translation helps).

Yeah, I'd definitely have to second this thought on the first Muv Luv - it is totally worth reading, and most of the scenario is so overblown that at times it felt more like an affectionate parody rather than earnest, bog-standard melodrama. I'm not sure what the older fan translation was like, but the official translation now makes for a very fun read - it's well-worth the time, and you don't have to do all the routes (though still comes recommended) Razz

I just started reading Muv Luv Alternative again with the announcement of all this new Muv Luv stuff, and I'm already surprised with what it's already shown me within it's first couple hours.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Elric4985 wrote:
Personally, I'm still hoping for a Dino Crisis remake/reboot

Careful with that monkey paw there.

Oh what the hell.. one Viewtiful Joe and Breath of Fire sequel please, Capcom. Laughing A new Breath of Fire in the style of Dragon Quest 11.... a man can dream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2