• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Revue Starlight Anime Gets New Film, Early Summer 2020 Compilation Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
A completely new film is really good news, but another recap film? What for? They may well repeat the broadcast of the original series, as they did before. No need to waste precious resources on unnecessary replay. Honestly, I don’t understand why recap movies have been so popular in the industry lately.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Oooo now thist I am looking forward to!

The compilation film...I'll take a pass but the new anime...if the production values of the TV were that good imagine what will happen for a movie!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
Cool. I am a big fan of the anime series and am satisfied with it, but more, new content is welcomed, especially if some of the girls from the game show up.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
I thought the show ended at a satisfactory point but I’m excited to see what the animation will look like with a film budget. I recall the show was made with a low budget and a shortage of animators and they still made it an impressive show so a movie will look even better.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
I loved Revue Starlight as it aired but I was disappointed by the final episode where the imaginative sets and conceptual battles were overruled by a lack of budget... unless that drab location and concept was really what they wanted to do.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I loved Revue Starlight as it aired but I was disappointed by the final episode where the imaginative sets and conceptual battles were overruled by a lack of budget... unless that drab location and concept was really what they wanted to do.

If you're taking about spoiler[the desert scene], I'm gonna' guess that was intentional--a way to showcase just how alone and cut off from everything spoiler[Hikari] was after her spoiler["wish"].
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised some people are complaining about the production values of the show. To me it is one of the best looking and directed anime series from 2018. It is not Made in Abyss production values wise, but Kinema Citrus did great job with Revue Starlight.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
A completely new film is really good news, but another recap film? What for? They may well repeat the broadcast of the original series, as they did before. No need to waste precious resources on unnecessary replay. Honestly, I don’t understand why recap movies have been so popular in the industry lately.

I'm no insider, but I assume it's because of the cinema market. If you know your IP has fans, then the profits from ticket sales should easily outweigh the cost of re-editing four hours of footage down to two, which must be minuscule in comparison to the cost of producing animation in the first place. Even fans do that sort of thing with movies they're not satisfied with, for example the various bootleg fan edits of Star Wars movies, and the "Tolkien Edit" of The Hobbit trilogy.

A trendy business plan is to first build an audience with a TV series, then once you know the audience is there, milk profits from them via cinema releases. Girls und Panzer started on TV, then its sequel was a theatrical movie, and now the sequel to that is an OVA series being slowly released first to cinemas, then BD. Princess Principal started on TV, now its sequel is likewise a theatrical OVA series. Theatrical recap movies are just another easy way to milk.

For fans, it does offer a chance to see highlights on the big screen. Normally I'm not at all interested in recap movies, but if for example Girls' Last Tour got a recap film, and it was playing in a theater near me, then yeah, I'd buy that ticket.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am surprised some people are complaining about the production values of the show. To me it is one of the best looking and directed anime series from 2018. It is not Made in Abyss production values wise, but Kinema Citrus did great job with Revue Starlight.
I thought the show looked impressive under the conditions they had to deal with but I recall an instant where the director had to ask on Twitter for more animators to finish the show. I remember SakugaBlog also had some articles about the behind the scenes issues.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Great news. 2020 just keeps looking better and better... I guess 2013/7 came early.

Can't wait for more Revue Starlight! I wish I could watch the actual plays in Japan but don't know where to buy the tickets and their schedule
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wish we were getting another season, rather than a movie. Movies are franchise-killers for western fans, since the licensing holdbacks and lack of streaming typically results in a 2-4 year delay in getting the film here (and a handful of one-night screenings in a couple dozen cities only does so much).

Oh, and I just dropped $170 on a Karen Aijo figure at AWA, so yeah, I like this franchise.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I wish I could watch the actual plays in Japan but don't know where to buy the tickets and their schedule

Visiting the website might be a start. It's a complicated topic, but the tl;dr is that you get a lottery ticket with specific merchandise and if you win, you are eligible to purchase a ticket to the event. If you don't have the means to enter (you usually need a Japanese credit card or the ability to pay in cash in Japan), you can find services online to assist for a fee (search "Japan event tickets" or "Japan concert tickets" or similar).

invalidname wrote:
Wish we were getting another season, rather than a movie. Movies are franchise-killers for western fans, since the licensing holdbacks and lack of streaming typically results in a 2-4 year delay in getting the film here (and a handful of one-night screenings in a couple dozen cities only does so much).

I'm either going to see it in cinemas in Japan or when it comes out on Blu-ray, just as I have for the musicals. Can't wait!

I've translated most of the text in the trailer and will put up a tweet with it in a couple of hours when I get time to make it.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
@nDroae Interesting point, thanks. Well, I don’t have the opportunity to visit Japanese theaters, so maybe I just don’t know how to get involved in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1