• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Cub Bishōjo Motorbike Light Novels Briefly Listed With Anime Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yay~ more Bakoun!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Bakuon flopped. Long Riders flopped. Minami Kamakura Bikers flopped. With Rifle is Beautiful also seemingly being a flop, it seems that Japan is already getting tired with "cute girls doing <insert>" anime. So why are we doing this again?
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Bakuon flopped. Long Riders flopped. Minami Kamakura Bikers flopped. With Rifle is Beautiful also seemingly being a flop, it seems that Japan is already getting tired with "cute girls doing <insert>" anime. So why are we doing this again?

Because once in a while they'll get Girls und Panzer or other successful thing.

Same with endless stream of isekai we're getting (thou there is also promotion of novel or manga, which might be a bigger factor).
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She has no parents, friends, or hobbies, and her daily life is empty.

It still makes me wonder, are orphans actually exist in modern-day Japan,.which it has a low crime rates.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

The reason that cute girl shows keep getting made is because there is a market for them. It is fine not to like them but you are cherry picking a few shows that you think did badly, which might not even be true since they are mainly made to promote the light novels or manga, to make a very broad statement about an entire genre.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Better this type of content than another generic isekai harem bullshit and more boy idols stuff that is creeping up more and more these days.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

They are so obscure, so isn't a good measure bar.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
ballinamon wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

They are so obscure, so isn't a good measure bar.

I mean, the manga seems to be unheard of. I've only literally heard the manga today.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

The reason that cute girl shows keep getting made is because there is a market for them. It is fine not to like them but you are cherry picking a few shows that you think did badly, which might not even be true since they are mainly made to promote the light novels or manga, to make a very broad statement about an entire genre.

It's not that I disliked the genre. However, the thing is that these CGDCT shows these days tend to get the short end of the stick in terms of production values when they're not being produced by DogaKobo. Just look at the monstrosities like Z/X Code Reunion, Pastel Memories, and that mermaid show (who can't seem to get their eyes drawn right) back in Winter 2019. Also, Azur Lane's (CGDCT with action) production values took a nosedive starting Episode 4. Pretty sure that Long Riders and Minami Kamakura bikers also have low production values.

I hate it when the production committee only look at "promoting the source material" as motivation to produce anime. It's being more and more apparent these days that the production companies give these shows to inept studios just to be able to churn out anime just to sell those to streaming sites. Just look at how many anime this year was handled by a newbie studio. Remember that CGDCT baseball yuri anime that will debut in Spring 2020? It's being animated by a literally who studio called Studio A-Cat.

I wouldn't be surprised if this anime would be animated by a garbage Tier-5 studio like GEEKTOYS and will inevitable have animation meltdown past Episode 4.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
@Ermat_46, I think 1 of the better CGDCT or what might fall under that sub-genre was "Sakura Quest". It didn't sell as well as much as it should have in Japan, but the 5 main girls had strong development and were all adults (20 or older) not some high schoolers.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
It's not that I disliked the genre. However, the thing is that these CGDCT shows these days tend to get the short end of the stick in terms of production values when they're not being produced by DogaKobo. Just look at the monstrosities like Z/X Code Reunion, Pastel Memories, and that mermaid show (who can't seem to get their eyes drawn right) back in Winter 2019.

Most late night anime have a low production budget and while it does have a standard card battle story I think that Z/X Code Reunion is an entertaining show. The late night anime market is a niche market that was previously supported by physical disk sales but that is declining and the streaming money isn't making up for that decrease so I can understand the current issue with low production budgets.

Ermat_46 wrote:
I hate it when the production committee only look at "promoting the source material" as motivation to produce anime. It's being more and more apparent these days that the production companies give these shows to inept studios just to be able to churn out anime just to sell those to streaming sites. Just look at how many anime this year was handled by a newbie studio.

Late night anime is using the standard cartoon model in which the show is basically a long advertisement but instead of selling toys it is selling the game, light novel, or manga. That does mean that the late night anime market strongly favors adaptations though some are nicely made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1