• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory LE

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I honestly could not watch this, maybe the plot is really good but the production quality was so bad I was not enjoying it at all. Even Gonzo did a better job with season 1, and Gonzo were famous for having CG in their shows, and of course coming off of Second Raid by Kyoani, the downgrade really hurts.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
They did redo a lot of the rough animation from the broadcast version so the blu-ray is definitely an improvement.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
It's still absolutely terrible. There was one action scene where Kurama's head was literally larger than his torso. It looked so ridiculous.

Also, the dub irritated me. Now, I don't think the dub was bad. In fact, I thought it was very good and every voice reprisal felt right at home as if they never left. The issue I had is that they inconsistently pronounced two names that had precedence from previous seasons and it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

The first one was "Teletha." One of the most important characters in the show and they pronounce her name differently than they have in the past. In previous seasons, it was pronounced as "Te-lay-tha," which I think sounds very elegant and fitting for the character. But in this dub they pronounce it like "Tella-tha," which sounds like the name of some hillbilly.

Fortunately she is mainly referred to as "Tessa" or "Madame Captain," so it's somewhat easier to let it slide. However, the second one kind of gets on my nerves

The Tuatha Dé Danann. Now, I understand that they were probably trying to pronounce this the "correct" way, however I think consistency is more important. If you have 3 previous seasons where a name is spoken one way, and you're going to go through the trouble to assemble the cast again after 10 years, it seems silly to let something like this slip by.

In the previous dubs, it was pronounced "Tuatha De-Don-ann." And while that might not be the proper way of saying it, it is how it was said. In this dub they pronounce it "Tuatha Dedan-anne." The reason this annoys me is cause it's like if someone made a Star Wars sequel where they called the "Millenium Falcon" something like "Milinum Fal-caan." It might not be a person, but it's a character in and of itself.

Other than that though, I'm pretty happy with the dub. Though I didn't think Kent Williams fit very well as Kalinin.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm just terribly irritated that when promised an actual conclusion this time around, we instead get a "To be continued someday again" for Invisible Victory. Just let the series end, it's going on 20 years now.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Honestly there was little point in a fourth season after so long. That kind of thing can work for more episodic fare, like Slayers or Lupin, but FMP? What it needed--and still needs--is the Brotherhood treatment: 50-60 episodes set aside to completely re-adapt the whole series from the very beginning to the very end.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I have the old seasons on bluray. I'd be happy to buy this on bluray... but I'm not going to bother until they follow through and finish the series. TSR clearly wasn't the end of the story, but it didn't have a cliffhanger ending. I enjoyed watching IV, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch it without another season because it just feels bad stopping there even if I've read the books and know the ending.

Fluwm wrote:
Honestly there was little point in a fourth season after so long. That kind of thing can work for more episodic fare, like Slayers or Lupin, but FMP? What it needed--and still needs--is the Brotherhood treatment: 50-60 episodes set aside to completely re-adapt the whole series from the very beginning to the very end.

I disagree. I doubt it would ever get the attention necessary to top TSR. IV pretty clearly shows that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
I personally really like Invisible Victory. I am thankful that the FMP anime returned after so long, and I hope more is made. Lastly, the visual quality was fine; I am very surprised that people were so disappointed by it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'm really confused why people dislike this. Maybe people need to go back and watch the whole thing all at once - it connects perfectly. Production issues aside, it was a fantastic continuation and was extremely faithful to the source material. The real disappointment was that it didn't go further into the story. Would've loved for them to finish the whole thing.....maybe in another decade >.>
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote
Unless they really went through and fixed the entire show and reanimated practically everything the b+ for animation is hilariously wrong.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
The show as is was great - although my opinion may be a bit biased (look at that avatar I'm using since 2005 Wink).
But I'll admit - animation quality went downhill a lot. First four episodes had amazing quality. It went downhill fast afterwards. BD release fixed some problems - but not all.

All in all - I'm happy owner of the LE box and import OST/singles Smile
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I have the old seasons on bluray. I'd be happy to buy this on bluray... but I'm not going to bother until they follow through and finish the series. TSR clearly wasn't the end of the story, but it didn't have a cliffhanger ending. I enjoyed watching IV, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch it without another season because it just feels bad stopping there even if I've read the books and know the ending.

Fluwm wrote:

I disagree. I doubt it would ever get the attention necessary to top TSR. IV pretty clearly shows that.

Literally any attention would top TSR. It's been more than a decade: only the devoted fans remember the prior series any more. That's exactly why IV flopped: no one wants to watch the last chapter in a story they haven't seen. Hence the need for a remake: to appeal to new viewers.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Literally any attention would top TSR. It's been more than a decade: only the devoted fans remember the prior series any more. That's exactly why IV flopped: no one wants to watch the last chapter in a story they haven't seen. Hence the need for a remake: to appeal to new viewers.

You're misunderstanding my point. I'm not talking about attention from new fans. I'm talking about on the production side. You're going to end up with a similar quality to what we got with CG mechs. You're never going to get the effort put into it that TSR got from Kyoani. If you're not happy with how IV turned out (which imo was 'fine' just not great), you're never going to be happy with any other adaptation no matter what point in the story they start.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
2 things worth noting here.

1st the animation company that did this season was abysmal. I haven't seen the blu-rays so I don't know what the final product looks like. But the product that aired during its TV run was absolute garbage.

2nd. This season Invisible victory is the continued adaptation of the novels. It's been quite some time since I have gone through the source material. But without going into spoilers things are going to become very dark, very quickly and this tone will hold for the remainder of the series. This season just sets the tone for what is to come, the lighthearted FMP tone is now long gone.. some people will not like it obviously.

I'd like to see this continue to be animated to its conclusion.. there is a good underlying story here, and this season did not even begin to scratch on it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
That's exactly why IV flopped

It flopped? It had decent disc sales in Japan, and I imagine that this nice LE means that it did well for Funimation. You not liking this season does not necessarily mean that it performed poorly.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciated them finally continuing kaname and souskes story. they have always been one of my favorite anime couples and seeing them come back was a dream. The LE is a FANTASTIC set the likes of which we never get anymore. SO I was very happy to buy the set and get such nice bonus items.

I was initially very disappointed that we got a bunch of short stories in the set for the audio drama and not the adaptation of dancing very merry Christmas (seriously why does basically nothing adapt it). but what we got are still great and the redone animation really helps since the animation when it aired on tv was not always good.

If nothing else I am going to thank the anime for us getting more of the FMP novels again officially in english from J-Novel club.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2