• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Finalizes Deal to Become Majority Owner of Viz Media Europe Group

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
So that means all of animes, including some of those who are not available on Crunchyroll due to geoblocking restrictions, will be available all over the Europe? ( God willing, I'm hope all of animes on CR will be available in the Baltic countries) But I'm doubt it.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
So that's why CR now releseases MHA in previously blocked countries...

Also, it means that the Japanese companies are retreating from Europe...
Gezzas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So that means all of animes, including some of those who are not available on Crunchyroll due to geoblocking restrictions, will be available all over the Europe? ( God willing, I'm hope all of animes on CR will be available in the Baltic countries) But I'm doubt it.

Legal access to anime in Baltic countries would be great. Problem is that Wakanim Russia are aggressively buying licenses for this region and streaming it with Russian subs / dubs. Russian is language I barely understand and I would argue that the majority of people that would be interested in anime don't know it either.

I hope that new Funimation's venture to international market will fix this issue. Somehow...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Depends on how they do deal with licensed by another streaming distributors show, mostly Wakanim.
Quote:
Legal access to anime in Baltic countries would be great. Problem is that Wakanim Russia are aggressively buying licenses for this region and streaming it with Russian subs / dubs. Russian is language I barely understand and I would argue that the majority of people that would be interested in anime don't know it either.
There is no thing as Wakanim Russia though, there isn't even the office of Wakanim there, all things are made by sub-contractors. It's main office in France issues that they unintentionally consider the Baltic countries for RU region and use only russian subtitles and dub there, despite they have English in Nordic countries.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
There is no thing as Wakanim Russia though, there isn't even the office of Wakanim there, all things are made by sub-contractors. It's main office in France issues that they unintentionally consider the Baltic countries for RU region and use only russian subtitles and dub there, despite they have English in Nordic countries.

Are they think the Baltic countries are ''parts of'' Russia? I'm hope it's not intentionally.
In my country, Lithuania, most Lithuanian youths(like me) are speaking and understand English(I'm not good at grammar to be honest)but most of older and some middle age people in LT don't speak and understand English. Some of them are speaking and understand Russian(including my mother).
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
And so, corporate media continues to consolidate and centralize it's control over anime in the west.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

Are they think the Baltic countries are ''parts of'' Russia? I'm hope it's not intentionally.
In my country, Lithuania, most Lithuanian youths(like me) are speaking and understand English(I'm not good at grammar to be honest)but most of older and some middle age people in LT don't speak and understand English. Some of them are speaking and understand Russian(including my mother).

I visited the Baltic area before and I have bad news for you, yes, they don't consider it Russian, but the Russian language was for a long time the usual second language choice and it will probably take another 10-20 years before people consider English before Russian for the Baltic area, if at all.
Maybe you could make some noise to at least get a choice for subtitles.
This should be something a bit of organization of the youth could change some minds and speed up the process that is happening anyway.
Guspaz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Statistics from 2012 seem to indicate that 80% of Lithuanians speak Russian as a second language, while only 38% speak English as a second language. So if you're going to release anime with one of those two languages in Lithuania, and just look at the statistics, the choice is obvious.

Of course, that statistic covers the population as a whole, and reflects the fact that Russian was mandatory as part of the Soviet Union, and that kids these days aren't subject to those same requirements.
Gezzas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:
Statistics from 2012 seem to indicate that 80% of Lithuanians speak Russian as a second language, while only 38% speak English as a second language. So if you're going to release anime with one of those two languages in Lithuania, and just look at the statistics, the choice is obvious.

Of course, that statistic covers the population as a whole, and reflects the fact that Russian was mandatory as part of the Soviet Union, and that kids these days aren't subject to those same requirements.

Fact is that new generation of people has grown after the collapse of Soviet Union 30 years ago and in my opinion they would be the most interested in anime.
A lot of them know Russian language from school, family or friends. However majority of them do not.

Therefore Wakanim offering for the region misses the mark. I am quite sure it streams in English in Nordics. Then why not in Baltics?

Streaming in Baltics probably is an afterthought for Wakanim at this point.
Question is what else might stop English subbed/dubbed anime from streaming in the region?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1