• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weathering With You Film Does Not Make Oscar's International Feature Shortlist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
I bet the vast majority of the "voters" didn't even watch it, as usual with anime films.
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film was Japan's first submission in the category since Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke in 1998.

This line is missing the vital information that it is the first anime submission in that category since 1998, not the first submission since then in general (which was given in the news article this line is linking to).
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I bet the vast majority of the "voters" didn't even watch it, as usual with anime films.

It makes perfect sense why it was chosen due to its success and acclaim in Japan, but America is an entirely different market. No animated work is going to be able to compete with 'real' movies in the judges eyes.
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
I expected this, but it still hurts
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
The only realistic possibility that this movie wins anything is if its social commentary on climate change gets recognized, since it’s a pretty big deal these days. I’m not counting on it though
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
Quote:
The film was Japan's first submission in the category since Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke in 1998.

This line is missing the vital information that it is the first anime submission in that category since 1998, not the first submission since then in general (which was given in the news article this line is linking to).

Yeah, Japan’s Shoplifters was actually nominated last year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Do ya know who votes for the shortlist of International Feature films?

(Hint: it's not the whole Academy)
Quote:
They will choose from 10 (up from nine) shortlisted films: seven now selected from the committee currently viewing all 93 entries from around the world, and three “saves” selected by the executive committee.

A special committee viewing all 93 entries (plus the executive committee).

Furthermore:
Quote:
The new changes now state that any Academy member who has seen the 10 shortlisted films can vote on the eventual nominees.
Members who stream the 10 shortlisted international films will be qualified to vote in the second phase

And the only ones who will be qualified to vote in the 2nd phase (list of nominees) are those who stream the 10 shortlisted international films, i.e. if they don't bother to stream (or watch in theaters) all 10 shortlisted films, they won't qualify to vote for the nominees.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
It was unlikely that this would qualify for this category. The world's best films are its competion, and there are lots of strong contenders. I'm guessing that Parasite will win.

There's still the animated category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1