• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Residents Near Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio Building Raise Concerns about Proposal for Mem

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenimLS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Given that the association rejects both a memorial and a park at the site, and that they don't want anything that would draw visitors to the area. I can only imagine that their end goal by having a say in how the land is used is to push for anything that will bury that this happened so that it can be forgotten.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
That’s kind of sad I get wanting to live there lives in peace but you can’t just brush it under the rug and forget what happened to these peoples and the lives they carried. Pretty selfish if you ask me
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Problem for the neighborhood is that the site is publicly accessible, so no matter what is done people in significant numbers will visit the spot. Unfortunately, the surrounding area will never be the same as it was. It is simply impossible.

Mark Gosdin
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
That’s kind of sad I get wanting to live there lives in peace but you can’t just brush it under the rug and forget what happened to these peoples and the lives they carried. Pretty selfish if you ask me

I would agree 100%. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that the people who live nearby want peace, but I think that demand is unreasonable, insensitive, and unrealistic. It's not like they are talking about building a noisy arcade on the site. How much disturbance would a memorial actually cause anyway? Obviously KyoAni is well loved, but I doubt that a bunch of mourners would be particularly disruptive to the neighborhood.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can see point of residents. Imagine if you owned or lived in you house or flat for thirty years then on one day a block away the police arrest the _____ rapist or murderer is responsible for dozens of victims a movie is made book deal signed! Next thing you know tourists by droves start showing up.

Example. One of my children married/moved to small town outside of DC called Burketsville in early 90's. A few years after they move there a small college made movie was filmed that became a cult hit. Ten years after movie came out town welcoming signs still get stolen. Every Halloween the local police have to close of roads entering town with checkpoint to ensure people entering town are residents not visitors. Even now random tourists stop to harass or bombard my son's neighbors about movie.

People in America are lot easier going than they are here in Japan. Otakutourists not been the best visitors either these days.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Some prefectures are very welcoming of otakutourists, the keyword being prefectures, not neighborhoods. I can see the neighbours preferring peace over their real state increasing it's value, as parks are well known to do. So I hope they can reach an understanding since kyoto animation itself said that they wanted to consult with the neighborhood association.

But,a s mark gosdin said, what they are asking is almost impossible, as the only way to make that dissapear is to level the building and make another office building there; because even living quarters would create tourists.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The people of the neighborhood probably already have experience with hordes of people coming by to pay their respects, and are worried what a memorial park would bring. A sad thing all around.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I can understand where they are coming from. I don't think they want to sweep the incident under the rug and bury it, but we are talking about a normal neighbourhood here. If it was something like a CBD or office complex or something like that, a park and memorial might be more appropriate, but its residential, and they would have seen the impact it has had, so no matter how considerate otakus are it will cause disruptions to the local residents regardless.

And no, Ozzy4k, it's not selfish. It is selfish of us for expecting something to be put there without taking into consideration those who will have to put up with it. It's easy for us to say, because we are just visitors, not having to live there.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for my language but what the f*ck? Even if they're partly right about lots of people coming to this place, the biggest wave of them gonna last for like a first two-three months at most. After some time the number's gonna regularly decrease.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
There is not going to be a large pilgrimage if any to this site, good lord, you'll find a few Otaku and a tourist every now and then taking a look, much like the 9/11 Memorial on any day that's not 9/11 and that's it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
They could limit it to being open only weekends or something if this is a real concern. But I don't think even that would be needed. Realistically they'll see a lot of people the first year. But then after that I only expect a lot of people would come on important dates such as July 18th.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I can see point of residents. Imagine if you owned or lived in you house or flat for thirty years then on one day a block away the police arrest the _____ rapist or murderer is responsible for dozens of victims a movie is made book deal signed! Next thing you know tourists by droves start showing up.

In my opinion that's comparing apples and oranges. This is a memorial for those who have died. It's not something that's cool or trendy or a "cult classic". While I am sure that there would be people who would visit, it's inimaginable that they would be making a nuisance of themselves.

Quote:
People in America are lot easier going than they are here in Japan. Otakutourists not been the best visitors either these days.

I've heard about some of the problems with otakutourism in the past, but I feel that the fact that this is a memorial makes it a bit different. Have there been any cases of Otakutourists making a nuisence of themselves at, say, a temple, shrine, graveyard, or similar sort of place which traditionally gets a lot of respect?

@Hoppy800
That's the way I feel about it too.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Build a park no different from how you might others and include a memorial sign. The loss benefits the community in a non-detrimental way.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I have never once seen the idea of a memorial for a mass murder shot down with the suggestion that it would attract too many people. That is such a shitty, childish response. Visitors are going to come no matter what, I think they just want to bury it because the memory is unpleasant to them.

If that’s unpleasant for you, think about how unpleasant it is for the families who lost their children and their husbands and wives to that fire.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I’m sure that even if they level the building and leave it empty, people will still go to see the sight. If they build another building, people will still come to see it. Either way, people will visit the sight on their own time for their own reasons, and pay their respects in their own ways. They will have to block off the whole neighborhood if they don’t want any outsiders to come there. But that would lead to a whole bunch of extra costs and admin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3