• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney Character Stitch Gets Manga Set in Feudal Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok but why though?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I swear they just come up with idea by drawing paper out of an hat.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Ok but why though?

Guess they saw Pokémon Conquest and figured we gotta get in on this.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Rafael Antonio Pineda wrote:
Hiroto Wada's manga has Stitch meet warlord Yamato Mikoto...Stitch lands in feudal Japan, and meets the warlord Yamato Mikoto.

Actually the 1st chapter of the manga says that the name of the warlord is Yamato Meison.

修訂增補詳解漢和大字典 says:
Quote:
〔命〕 ヌ (國訓)みこと(尊)。古昔貴人の名に添へて呼んだ尊稱。「須佐之男ー。」

Quote:
〔尊〕 チ (國訓)みこと(命)。神又は貴人の敬稱。又その名の下に添へて呼ぶとなへ。「日本武ー。」

Do Philippines' Japanese dictionaries say that the reading of the combination of the kanji '命' and the kanji '尊' is 'mikoto', Mr Pineda?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Finally. The best use of this property possible. This is what Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois always dreamed of in the late 90s and early 00s. Nobunaga X Stitch!

There was even a Stitch anime. Now you know. Wait, Madhouse in it´s prime did it. WHAT?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

There was even a Stitch anime. Now you know. Wait, Madhouse in it´s prime did it. WHAT?

I still find it humorous that the Stitch anime (iirc) only aired in the US on DIsney Anime hyper for a week before they took it off the air. I think they gave it a "death timeslot", too. LOL
...And I also remember when the dub came out, people were upset at how the dub basically went " Yeah, Lilo ditched Stitch for a boyfriend, lol, Man Japan looks so much prettier than Hawaii!" in the first few episodes.
I will give the anime props for actually bringing in Lilo in one of the season 3 episodes, and attempted to explain why she wasn't in it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Now,let me get this straight. In this manga,instead of Stitch landing in modern day Hawaii,he lands in feudal Japan. I'm amazed Disney went along with this because I'm astonished someone there came up with this and ran it by them. I'm with a couple of others when I ask this question,why does this even exist? Surprised
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Wait, Madhouse in it´s prime did it. WHAT?

This was back when Madhouse was on the verge of bankruptcy and Disney was in talks to take it over. Not that that has ever been reported on this site, but it was why Madhouse produced several series for Disney around the mid-2000s. During this time, Madhouse was liquidating a lot of the super high quality artwork that they had collected and kept over the years, such as cels used on DVD covers and for other promotional items. While the artwork sales were done on the low in order to keep the studio afloat, it was also partially done because Madhouse, under no circumstances, wanted Disney to get their paws on it because they knew it would never be seen again. During this time frame, one particular seller would contact me about twice a year to let me and another collector know what was available. He purchased several of these items too.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:14 am Reply with quote
The premise is just okay to me.

Freyanne wrote:
I still find it humorous that the Stitch anime (iirc) only aired in the US on DIsney X-D for a week before they took it off the air. I think they gave it a "death timeslot", too. LOL

I also still find that humorous. Anime hyper

Cutiebunny wrote:
While the artwork sales were done on the low in order to keep the studio afloat, it was also partially done because Madhouse, under no circumstances, wanted Disney to get their paws on it because they knew it would never be seen again.

Wait, doesn’t Disney also do artwork sales? Why would they have kept Madhouse’s production artwork locked in a vault to never be seen again?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Wait, doesn’t Disney also do artwork sales? Why would they have kept Madhouse’s production artwork locked in a vault to never be seen again?

If we're talking about original production artwork, like cels from old movies like Cinderella or original sketches used for products, then the answer is no. Most of these cels have turned into vinegar by now because that's what happens to acetate. Disney parks often sell lithographs, which are basically limited edition copies that are then put in a frame so they can jack the price up to sell them. At one time, Disney Parks and the Disney Store did occasionally sell production cels, but they haven't done that in a good 20+ years. Prior to selling them, I've read that Disney (as well as Warner Brothers) threw them in the garbage and that people would dumpster dive for them.

A lot of it has to do with controlling the image. If you have the original item, you can choose where and how it'll be used. If you need to rescan the image for an ad campaign, it's easier to have access to it than to depend on scans made in the 1990s. And if you prevent people from owning the original artwork, they'll be more inclined to buy whatever merchandise you sell that uses that same image.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 am Reply with quote
Starts off with sentiment of kawaii? Stitch was designed to be a war machine. I would have much more fun reading about Stitch and the Warlord in a conflagration of Hellsing-like mayhem. That, I would buy in a heartbeat. But, cute Stitch? About as entertaining as the Mandalorian's child. I'll wait for the rest of Torture Princess.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
johan.erikson.9003 wrote:
Ok but why though?

Stitch is popular in Japan. Pretty dang popular. Lilo not so much so that's why they make tons of original Stitch content. Also Angel is pretty popular but she only showed up in like one or two episodes of the US cartoon so a lot of Japanese media also focuses on her too.

Freyanne wrote:
I still find it humorous that the Stitch anime (iirc) only aired in the US on DIsney Anime hyper for a week before they took it off the air. I think they gave it a "death timeslot", too. LOL
...And I also remember when the dub came out, people were upset at how the dub basically went " Yeah, Lilo ditched Stitch for a boyfriend, lol, Man Japan looks so much prettier than Hawaii!" in the first few episodes.
I will give the anime props for actually bringing in Lilo in one of the season 3 episodes, and attempted to explain why she wasn't in it.

That was pretty much a retcon. Originally it was just an alternate telling. Then Disney wanted to export it so they retconned in Lilo having always been there, except not really since she was never mentioned to alluded to until that special Laughing
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Starts off with sentiment of kawaii? Stitch was designed to be a war machine. I would have much more fun reading about Stitch and the Warlord in a conflagration of Hellsing-like mayhem. That, I would buy in a heartbeat. But, cute Stitch? About as entertaining as the Mandalorian's child. I'll wait for the rest of Torture Princess.

Uh you do know the plot of Lilo & Stich is about Stich outgrowing being a war machine & being something better right? Hell there’s far more scenes of him being cute than him being violent in the movie. And that’s ignoring him being a children’s character so anything Hellsing-like is already immediately off the table.

It’s kind of a shallow look at the movie like that dig at the Mando’s kid.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

That was pretty much a retcon. Originally it was just an alternate telling. Then Disney wanted to export it so they retconned in Lilo having always been there, except not really since she was never mentioned to alluded to until that special Laughing

Yeah I know when the series first came out in Japan, it was originally an alternate scenario of "what is Stitch landed in Japan instead of Hawaii?". I just found the whole dub explanation of "where's Lilo?" humorous. Could have even say "Stitch and Lilo got into a fight, which caused him to leave" - that's more believable than "Lilo got a boyfriend so she doesn't need/want Stitch anymore".

and mini-fun fact: There's even a Stitch animated series where he lands in China and befriends a girl named Ai. I don't think that one aired in the US though, but I think it was dubbed as well.
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Welp, infinite timelines, infinite possibilities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1