• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inuyasha Anime Gets Smartphone RPG This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
Does Inuyasha still have fans? I remembered when people got older it became recognized as a repetitive and monotonous piece of shit with horrendously unpopular characters. There was a very noticeable spike there compared to when this anime dominated late-night Western channels.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Most people I know that loved InuYasha as teenagers still like it now. Obviously they've mostly moved on to newer stuff but they definitely don't feel negative about InuYasha at all. That said, this game doesn't look very good lol.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
Inuyasha... That is a name that I haven't heard in a long time.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
I wonder who's gonna voice Miroku.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Inuyasha... That is a name that I haven't heard in a long time.

Like the way you said that xD

Although, I last heard Inuyasha when Rumiko got some award last year.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
Not interested. Viz where's the blu-ray? That's what we really want.
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
@cookiemanstah - it does. Just like Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku. Of course it isn't as popular as it was, because no new episodes air (some movie would be nice though).
@Somer-_- - yeah. His voice was quite unique.
@Levonr - Viz doesn't like to publish BDs (where's my Maison Ikkoku BD set!?) it seems. Plus I heard only first 99 episodes were animated by hand. The rest is digipaint.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I could sit trough the entire show now (considering it's like 90% filler) but I'm sure if you were to do a "director cut" of the series and cut it down to like 24 episodes you could make something pretty decent out of inuyasha.
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Does Inuyasha still have fans? I remembered when people got older it became recognized as a repetitive and monotonous piece of shit with horrendously unpopular characters. There was a very noticeable spike there compared to when this anime dominated late-night Western channels.

I loved it as a kid, but I tried rewatching it, and what you said was spot on. The love triangle bs was the worst of it, and Kagome was probably one of the most boring characters in the series.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:

@Levonr - Viz doesn't like to publish BDs (where's my Maison Ikkoku BD set!?) it seems. Plus I heard only first 99 episodes were animated by hand. The rest is digipaint.

Yeah Viz can be super slow. While its 99 episodes that's more than half the show even when including Final Act.

meiam wrote:
I don't think I could sit trough the entire show now (considering it's like 90% filler) but I'm sure if you were to do a "director cut" of the series and cut it down to like 24 episodes you could make something pretty decent out of inuyasha.

20% filler is more accurate.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Having got my first proper Rumiko Takahashi exposure over the past year by watching Maison Ikkoku, I can now clearly understand why MAL has a "Rumiko Takahashi Haters Club," whose membership I now see has doubled from 3 to a whopping 6 since I last checked. #GoDieGodai Still, I found more to like than dislike. Eleven years ago a girl told me to avoid Inuyasha because of an unsatisfying ending, I'm glad Maison Ikkoku is about as far from that problem as it's possible to be.

marek1712 wrote:

Gotta get these hot fresh Boruto BDs out lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTLX3bk3JrI

The term would be "animated on cel." Digital animation is still hand drawn, unless it's 3DCG or a 2D "puppet show" like typical chibi shorts, Homestar Runner, Friendship is Magic.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/06/23/anime-craft-weekly-41-i-cant-believe-its-2017-and-i-have-to-write-that-anime-is-hand-drawn/
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I loved it as a kid, but I tried rewatching it, and what you said was spot on. The love triangle bs was the worst of it, and Kagome was probably one of the most boring characters in the series.

I kinda wish she had never had any romance involved and maybe had Kagome’s brother aged up to replace her as the secondary lead. I think it would have worked to force Rumiko not to fall back on the stupid rom com & drama that just felt shoehorned in and force her to develop the male characters beyond otome love interests to make Inuyasha jealous.

However, of them all Buyo was truly the best character in that series. I could read a 4 panel just about the daily life of Buyo.

I’ll give her credit, for as bad as Inuyasha‘s story was at times, it had a decent and satisfactory conclusion that did not turn into the shitshow that was Bleach. That is as good as I can say it got.

Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha won the NHK Rumiko Takahashi Mega Poll in Japan last year and it ran for years on Adult Swim so I’m not sure why people are shocked that lots of people still like Inuyasha. In any case this mobile game seems like a cheap nostalgia cash in.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I used to be such an Inuyasha fan. I recently went back and watched a few episodes on Crunchyroll. It's still sort of fun and the backgrounds are lovely, but the story's pacing is brutal compared to modern shows. Non-stop budget saving flashbacks and retreading old jokes and plot points every thirty seconds. It's near unwatchable for it.

That is to say, why was this game made? Everyone I know who were fans grew out of Inuyasha and never looked back. There's few if any holdout fans. Even the manga feels like 90% filler.
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixMsQ4eMsg

So much for original VA's coming back. Not even single track from Kaoru Wada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2