• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Manga, Anime Removed from Chinese Digital Platforms

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This should surprise no one. China is known for doing things like this for less serious reasons.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Horikoshi ruining the jobs of so many people, surprised neither he, his staffers, or editors exercised caution regarding that name. Did no one know?

(Actually I didn't know either. Not a history buff)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
This should surprise no one. China is known for doing things like this for less serious reasons.

Agreed.

What surprises me about this whole mess, and similar incidents, is why the people who are offended feel the need to protest so strongly? If this, or any other, manga offends you then stop reading it. Done. Problem solved.

For example, I personally find the subject matter of some rap lyrics to be very offensive (advocating violence, glorifying crime, misogyny, etc.) but I have no desire to complain about it, try have that sort of music banned, or to stop other people from listening to it; I'll simply choose not to listen to it myself.

This is entertainment, it's something that people voluntarily consume. If you don't like it then stop consuming it. From the reaction this is getting it seems like people are treating the issue as though someone is forcing them to be offended.
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
No surprise here didn't something like this happen with the creator of Attack on Titan after he named a character after a general who invaded korea I just hope that this doesn't end up ruining Horikoshi Sensei's career and killing everyone's love for my hero Academia all together
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Horikoshi ruining the jobs of so many people, surprised neither he, his staffers, or editors exercised caution regarding that name. Did no one know?

Well neither is he since Japan’s schools don’t teach this stuff much so they grow up without realizing the magnitude & what this stuff means to people.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect the series that badly.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I can't help but wonder if perhaps some people did notice, but didn't want to bring it up because of cultural reasons. I have had some limited business dealings with Japanese companies and in my experience their business culture is that the lower employees never challenge the boss, even if they believe the boss is making a mistake. It's pure speculation of course, but perhaps that may have been a factor?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
For example, I personally find the subject matter of some rap lyrics to be very offensive (advocating violence, glorifying crime, misogyny, etc.) but I have no desire to complain about it, try have that sort of music banned, or to stop other people from listening to it; I'll simply choose not to listen to it myself.

Actually, with the name in question, a code name for the victims of Unit 731, your example would be more correct if you switched the 'general stuff' to rapping about holocaust. Do that and see what the reaction will be wontcha...
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
RealMTL wrote:

Agreed.

What surprises me about this whole mess, and similar incidents, is why the people who are offended feel the need to protest so strongly?

Maybe because they might have some old relatives who survived or died during WWII and/or because they cannot pass such an unreflected use of a name connected to wartime attrocities as trivial matter?

Just because you're not offended by this doesn't mean others shouldn't protest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Actually, with the name in question, a code name for the victims of Unit 731, your example would be more correct if you switched the 'general stuff' to rapping about holocaust. Do that and see what the reaction will be wontcha...

There have been multiple real-world examples of people rapping about the holocaust, as well as generally anti-Semitic rap lyrics, as well as rappers making anti-Semitic posts on social media. LeBron James got in hot water for this in 2018 when he tweeted anti-Semitic rap lyrics by 21 Savage.

I fully understand that mob hysterics happen in real life, and that this sort of reaction is expected when touchy subjects are brought up so the publishers (etc.) would be wise to be careful. But that said, it remains a puzzle to me as to why people behave this way when it comes to things they are only exposed to voluntarily.

Swissman wrote:
Maybe because they might have some old relatives who survived or died during WWII and/or because they cannot pass such an unreflected use of a name connected to wartime attrocities as trivial matter?

Just because you're not offended by this doesn't mean others shouldn't protest.

My point is that even if someone is offended there is no reason to protest when all you have to do in order to avoid the offense is to stop reading/watching/listening. This is not a law, policy, etc, which is being forced on the offended party--if it were, then protesting would be 100% justified and would make perfect sense. But this is not that. MHA manga is voluntary entertainment. It's only offensive to you if you choose to consume it. And if we humans protested everything that we found offensive there would be nothing left for any of us to consume.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Imagine if the villain character is named after Hitler or Stalin, it would've been a scandal and a backlash too.
Krunky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Imagine if the villain character is named after Hitler or Stalin, it would've been a scandal and a backlash too.

You do realize anime constantly makes references to Hitler right? There's even a villain in classic anime named after Hitler and Terraformers literally has a character named Adolf who's a hero. Stonehiem the most beloved character in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a flat out Nazi. Rolling Eyes

Яeverse wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? This is all China's government decision based solely on a kneejerk reaction and even after it's been explained that the name had nothing to do with WWII they still kept on harassing them because this goes deeper than a simple word.
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

You do realize anime constantly makes references to Hitler right? There's even a villain in classic anime named after Hitler and Terraformers literally has a character named Adolf who's a hero. Stonehiem the most beloved character in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a flat out Nazi. Rolling Eyes
This would be a better example to understand just how upset Chinese and Korean fans are imagine if the doctor was a woman and her name was Anne Frank.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I didn't notice of Hitler reference in animes at all and I think there are no references to Stalin in mangas/animes -- yet.
Enrique Suárez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Why am I not surprised some people here justifying the actions, in this case stupid censorhip, of a communist dictatorship that killed dozens of millions of its own citizens?
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

It's unlikely that the name was chosen by accident, but the Japanese government has done a lot to cover up its war crimes so a lot of Japanese citizens aren't really aware of the extent of atrocities committed by the Empire of Japan during and immediately preceding the second World War, which are on par with if not in excess of the holocaust by most modern estimates.

This name is also not a reference to a historical figure, but rather specifically the victims of the atrocities, which is arguably in poorer taste. China and Korea still hold on to a lot of hard feelings to this day because the Japanese government has historically denied these events until fairly recently, and even now they are not as acknowledged as they should be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6