• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Adds Lupin the Third: Part 5 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Oh no. I hope this doesn’t mean that Sentai, rather than Discotek, has the physical media license.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
That's what it probably means.
When's the last time a Discotek title aired on HiDive?
loveliver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
That's what it probably means.
When's the last time a Discotek title aired on HiDive?

Blue Seed, both the series and the sequel OVA. It was brought to HIDIVE by Maiden Japan.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Oh no. I hope this doesn’t mean that Sentai, rather than Discotek, has the physical media license.

I highly doubt Sentai has physical rights. HIDIVE has acquired streaming for other series (like Promised Neverland and SAO), but Sentai never acquired physical rights for them. I am surprised people think that Discotek is not a guarantee to get all things Lupin.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Two years? Time is really flies. But I'm wonder will part 6 ever happen in the few years?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I highly doubt Sentai has physical rights. HIDIVE has acquired streaming for other series (like Promised Neverland and SAO), but Sentai never acquired physical rights for them. I am surprised people think that Discotek is not a guarantee to get all things Lupin.

It's not a guarantee.
A lot of these franchises have portions that are owned by different companies.
Music rights are often separate and there may be movies and OVAs with licenses controlled by multiple companies, too. That's been a problem with a few anime series they tried to license in the West in the past. There's also an issue with some companies wanting far too much money than any Western anime distributor was willing to pay for some series! Gundam's official introduction was delayed for many years because Sunrise/Bandai wanted $20million for any company get the rights to Gundam. No company in the West thought the series was worth that and while it has a rabid North American fanbase it's still not as huge a fanbase in the West as say Dragonball Z or My Hero Academia right now.
Rights issues cause things like the title/theme music to be changed in a few cases for international releases because they're not able to come to an agreement. The music for the intro and closing animation of Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta was changed for these reasons. Most recently, Neon Genesis Evangelion had to remove "Fly Me to the Moon" for the Western broadcast because of the music licensing issue with that track. Why that was a big deal for Netflix is beyond me. They've spent far more recruiting people to develop new series for them ($200million + for people who created crappy series that ended badly on HBO!) than they've spent licensing 20+ year-old anime I'd bet!

AnimEigo wasn't able to release ALL of Urusei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange on its own.
The second Urusei Yatsura movie was licensed by a different company than the corporation that owned the rest of the UY anime (TV series, OVAs, and the other 5 feature films). That's why UY Movie 2: Only You was released by CPM/US Manga Corps for VHS, laserdisc, and DVD in the States and not AnimEigo.
The KOR TV special, which was made well ahead of the TV series and had a different voice cast, was also not licensed by AnimEigo for the same reason.
They had 3 special OVA's made for Rumiko Takahashi's most famous adapted manga (Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsua, and Inu Yasha) which never got licensed in the West and to my knowledge still aren't part of the official home video releases of those series. The 2008 Ranma 1/2 OVA is out of print on home video now.
The Ranma 1/2 OVAs (pre-2008) and all the anime features were released in a box set by Viz Video over 2 years ago now. That 2008 Ranma 1/2 OVA special (which was part of the trio of special OVA's I mentioned), which originally played as part of an exhibition celebrating Takahashi's 30th anniversary as a professional manga creator, wasn't licensed and translated by Viz Video like many people thought it would be. It could be it's licensed by a different company than the rest of the anime releases. I personally have would liked to have seen that OVA bundled with the rest of the animation even if they only subtitled it. Reassembling the North American English dub cast for Ranma 1/2 might have been difficult because they live all over North America and a few cast members have passed away since the end of the original Viz release of Ranma 1/2 anime, too.
A pachinko game adaptation was done of Ranma 1/2 with all-new animation, with voiceovers by a completely different cast than the original and it's also under a different license. The pachinko game animation wasn't very good, either, but that's besides the point. It's still covered by a different license and none of that animation footage to my knowledge was never included in any home video release of Ranma 1/2 the anime series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This is basically no different from Pop Team Epic and the Aniplex shows that showed up on HiDive recently and TMS is just offering the show for everyone to watch online just like with Sonic X, KenIchi & Devil Lady hitting Amazon Prime, two of which have yet to get license-rescued.

It won't surprise me if FUNimation gets it for their site too just like they have with the Lupin Part 4 dub up right now.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
I believe TMS' US branch handles the streaming rights for Lupin. And they are pretty happy with putting it on a bunch of different streaming sites. Discotek has done good work with Lupin, so I hope TMS continues to use them for the physical releases.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I just hope Discotek puts out Part 5 on Blu-Ray soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Gundam's official introduction was delayed for many years because Sunrise/Bandai wanted $20million for any company get the rights to Gundam. No company in the West thought the series was worth that and while it has a rabid North American fanbase it's still not as huge a fanbase in the West as say Dragonball Z or My Hero Academia right now.

I'd say it has a small but dedicated fanbase as far as I can tell. The North American fanbase for Gundam is a drop in the bucket compared to the Japanese fanbase. I suspect there are a lot of older American fans who still really only care about Gundam Wing. That's from anecdotal evidence and I'm not really sure. Bluefin still puts out the no-grade Gundam Wing model kits because they continue to sell, so someone's buying them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1