• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
IOC Member: 2020 Tokyo Olympics Delayed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
What a letdown. This should have taken between late August to late September what the hell. Summer Olympics is ongoing every four years since 1896 so if it really takes place in 2021 it'll be an awful breach to the ongoing tradition.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
What a letdown. This should have taken between late August to late September what the hell. Summer Olympics is ongoing every four years since 1896 so if it really takes place in 2021 it'll be an awful breach to the ongoing tradition.

A decision has NOT been made as of yet. They still have 4 weeks.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
TarutoClown93 wrote:

A decision has NOT been made as of yet. They still have 4 weeks.

It still made me worried as of now. If the Olympic Committee had really said that this take place this summer I would feel relieved.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
If the Olympic Committee says it will take place in 2021, I will feel relieved.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

Except for 1916, 1940, and 1944?

It's not an "awful breach". It's the only right thing to do when the world is suffering a deadly pandemic that experts are predicting will last well into the end of summer at best. This situation isn't ending anytime soon. I don't know if you're in denial, but sports are NOT more important than the safety of millions of people. Furthermore, several nations have already announced plans to boycott if it goes as originally planned. More are likely, given most countries are still getting worse and worse in regards to COVID-19. It may be hard to accept the reality the world needs to slow down recreationally and economically in order to survive.

Quote:
Estimates for delaying the Olympics 1 year will be 640 billion yen ($5.8 billion dollars), while canceling it would cost Japan 4.55 Trillion yen ($41.5 billion dollars)

^ This is the headline of an article I saw last night. This would explain why "cancellation is not an agenda"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

You can't just snap your fingers and host an Olympic Games, and I'm sure there are a massive number of preparations that haven't been able to happen due to the lockdowns. That's true on the athletes' side as well: I know there was a teleconference between the IOC and a large number of athletes, and many of them expressed concerns that they wouldn't have enough time to properly train based on the interruption in their routines. Pushing the Games back until the world has a much better handle on this situation only makes sense, and that probably won't be for several months.

(On a lighter note, Akira should have shown us all why a Tokyo 2020 Olympics was just a pipe dream. Razz)
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
If this becomes the final consensus.......

it's Akira time!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to know they're going to postpone it. The athletes and spectators' safety should and must come first.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

You have to take into consideration that not only will all countries not recover at that same time, much less in time, but a number of countries and sports have not completed or even started their trials and qualifiers. Add on the logistical nightmare across the board, alone, with transportation, testings, and precautions with tens of thousands of athletes, personnel, officials, and event workers, all within the span of 4 months, and you'll see it is not so simple as even pushing it further into late August. It might be possible, but many positive things and miracles would have to take place for even that to be successfully pulled off.

An outright cancellation, as I've seen a few writers cry out, would be an outright overreaction and ridiculous, but a postponement to 2021 is very sensible spoiler[(which hopefully would be held in late Aug. and not overshadow the World Games, which take place roughly the same time that the Olympics would be held this year, barring they move to late Aug. themselves)].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

You do realise that a lot of events were already postponed to September, including a lot of sporting events and I am sure these events would not be very happy to be postponed again, just because someone said Olympics will have to be in 2020, in which case a lot of athletes would have to choose between that delayed event for their sport or Olympics and it would not be as easy choice as it sounds. Besides, as someone already pointed, a lot of athletes don't even have a chance to practice in this current situation. Swimmers being good examples here, since a lot of countries closed public pools and not every swimmer has private Olympic-sized pool at their disposal. So, as sad as it sounds, postponing the games to the summer 2021 is the best approach in the current situation. UEFA already did so with Euro 2020 and I expect IOC to follow their lead.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, Dick Pound.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere Abe is sweating
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

The idea that the four year cycle is inviolate is plain nonsense. Not only were the Olympics cancelled three times due to the World Wars, but the Winter Games used to be held in the same year as the Summer until the IOC realized they'd get more money by staggering them. The Olympics are a business, not some holy rite. The IOC will do whatever is good for their bottom line.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

You are optimistic that this will all blow over by late summer. I am not.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the time spent will be used to send the Olympics to London since the IOC won't cancel the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2