• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Reveals PS5 DualSense Controller

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
As someone who currently connects the PS4 to a computer monitor, losing the 3.5 jack from the looks of it absolutely screws me. Don't really want to be forced to get a new $100 wireless headset for PS5 along with everything else this sucks I hate the trend of people getting rid of that jack the last couple years.

(Before anyone gets confused the port under the microphone icon seems to be the Ext port currently on the PS4 controller as well which is used for the charge dock and other things)
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I like the color scheme. Here's hoping this means the standard PS5 will be (readily) available in white, too. I never really catered much to the idea that electronics all need to be big black boxes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
So does that mean the console will also be two toned? Could be interesting if done right. I've heard rumor that they're having some critical overheating issues with the console design that are too late to fix and hoping they can weather two years of complaints before they can release something that looks more like the Series X. There's always some sort of launch issue with new consoles, but that sounds catastrophic!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting design...I like it
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
So basically a dualshock 4 with a slightly different shape. I expect them to release a dualshock 5 that looks the same as always shortly after. Or even before launch like it happenned to sixaxis.

Emerje wrote:
So does that mean the console will also be two toned? Could be interesting if done right. I've heard rumor that they're having some critical overheating issues with the console design that are too late to fix and hoping they can weather two years of complaints before they can release something that looks more like the Series X. There's always some sort of launch issue with new consoles, but that sounds catastrophic!

Emerje

It was BS in the end, according to Jason Schreier.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
So basically a dualshock 4 with a slightly different shape. I expect them to release a dualshock 5 that looks the same as always shortly after. Or even before launch like it happenned to sixaxis.

Better yet just make it backwards compatible with the PS4 controller since all the matching buttons seem to exist in the right spots.

Quote:
It was BS in the end, according to Jason Schreier.

That's good to hear, I intend to buy one at launch if HZD2 ends up a launch title or maybe some good JRPGs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the battery life will be better than the PS4's controllers.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
As someone who currently connects the PS4 to a computer monitor, losing the 3.5 jack from the looks of it absolutely screws me. Don't really want to be forced to get a new $100 wireless headset for PS5 along with everything else this sucks I hate the trend of people getting rid of that jack the last couple years.

(Before anyone gets confused the port under the microphone icon seems to be the Ext port currently on the PS4 controller as well which is used for the charge dock and other things)

Where does it show that there is no headphone jack? I use it alot mainly because the PS4 is so picky as to what blutooth headphones you can use with it so I would be mildly annoyed to see it gone.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
At first glance the controller seems very different but still retains the same layout as the the Dualshock 4 controller. Still, I wish Sony will release a version with colored face buttons as the previous controllers had. Also, I know that Sony is maintaining consistency with their controller designs and it seems that they prefer to maintain an asymmetrical look, but I wish the L3 Stick and the D-Pad would switch places and be more like the XBOX controller, I think is much more confortable that way.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the design a lot. It would be cool if Sony allows us to change up the color scheme. But, at the very least, they need to release this with back trigger adapters.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
TIHI. Only 2 good points is the USB-C (finally catching up to Nintendo) and Haptic feedback (finally catching up to PC/Steam) but I would have preferred 2 more buttons like the Steam controller and AA batteries since Sony makes terrible ones (still got a burn mark from their laptop battery incident). Looks like a two tone Xbox controller and while I like the looks of it the internals leave me wanting more. Hopefully they will add a higher Mah's battery at least since PS4 has the second worst battery life of all wireless controllers ever (Wii U Gamepad with a 3-5 hours depending on which battery you used and PS4 3-10 depending on the age of the controller). I might forgive them if they add Displayport to the system. Sorry for such a depressing view on things not trying to troll I just have way too high standards.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
TIHI. Only 2 good points is the USB-C (finally catching up to Nintendo) and Haptic feedback (finally catching up to PC/Steam) but I would have preferred 2 more buttons like the Steam controller and AA batteries since Sony makes terrible ones (still got a burn mark from their laptop battery incident). Looks like a two tone Xbox controller and while I like the looks of it the internals leave me wanting more. Hopefully they will add a higher Mah's battery at least since PS4 has the second worst battery life of all wireless controllers ever (Wii U Gamepad with a 3-5 hours depending on which battery you used and PS4 3-10 depending on the age of the controller). I might forgive them if they add Displayport to the system. Sorry for such a depressing view on things not trying to troll I just have way too high standards.

Yeah, your standards are too high.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad it's different lol. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
JohnHawk wrote:

Where does it show that there is no headphone jack? I use it alot mainly because the PS4 is so picky as to what blutooth headphones you can use with it so I would be mildly annoyed to see it gone.

Looking closer at some of the images online I think the headphone jack is still there. The Ext port seems to have been moved and the headphone jack centered. It's definitly not the Ext port there as it’s too narrow. Will have to wait till we get some confirmation though.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I hope that the battery life will be better than the PS4's controllers.

I am still using my original controller that i got with my system at launch and it lasts 9 to 10 hours.Personally you shouldn't play that long in one sitting.A battery life long is more than good enough.
I like other possible colors for the controller.But otherwise it looks nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2