• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: BanG Dream! 3rd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athimmel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Season 3 definitely felt more put-together and interesting than season 2. For me, the worst part of season 2 was the Hello Happy World episode which bordered on idiocy.

This season, the focus was tighter on the three bands you mentioned, and the story was coherent and enjoyable (even CHU2!). The music was great as well, and it felt like a series instead of a mobile game.

I skipped purchasing season 2's DVDs, but I can see myself springing for this season.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a side-note regarding those musical scenes, Sentai Filmworks' subtitles continue to lack subs for all new songs debuting in this season. As with the last season, it's an ongoing frustration, particularly with how integral some of those song lyrics are to the growth of the characters and themes in this story.

^ This is what annoyed me the most. Lyrics were very important context and Sentai dropped the ball by not subbing them. Also Poppin'Party is supposed to have no space, an error their subs have had since season 1. It may seem minor but getting an artist's name wrong is disrespectful, tbh.

Visually and for plot this was one of my favorites of the season. It was fun and a bit emotional. And CHU² made me not hate her lol.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this season as well. I was surprised by how much i was looking forward to new episodes with it's odd scheduling.

Raise a Suilen, Poppin' Party and Roselia are the only irl concert bands so I think that's why they're featured so heavily.

As a side note there's now 35(!) girls including the new band, Morfonica, so I'm curious to see what any new anime projects will look like haha
athimmel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot about Morfonica. I love the early video of them, especially the addition of the violinist. I think that they are another group I will follow.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t watched the last two eps, but this season hasn’t really landed for me, sorry. A month-and-a-half lull in the episodes appearing on HIDIVE may be partially to blame. Mostly, though, I think I just want more PICO and its silly takes on the Bandori franchise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The highlight of season 3 for me was the odd, odd friendship that developed between Rokka and Massa which not only drove the Raise a Seilin band but the entire third season; If those two can find common ground then there's nothing that can't be worked out.

The other noteworthy component that put season three not only the other seasons but a lot of other shows is how well the comedy was executed. Like Arisa's doppler scream transition during the hot spring episode or Rokka reacting to the many moods of Chu2 or Popping Party's first music video attempt.

The weakest part of the season is exemplified in the final episode and its ironically the music. Putting the focus just on three bands means that you will hear a lot of the same music in the same styles. A LOT. Also, for a final performance type situation, it lacked the emotional punch you'd find in K-On's Afternoon Teatime's final show. The only moment that landed was Popping Party's chant being picked up by the audience. The problems?

Keeping the audience 100% anonymous was not a good choice and it felt like each person was there for all the bands so there were no favorites. And I have to mention that the spoiler["Everyone gets a trophy" ending] didn't help.

In the end, it was an excellent show up to the final performance where everything great about the season just stopped so the bands could perform without the character they showed through the rest of it.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I haven’t watched the last two eps, but this season hasn’t really landed for me, sorry. A month-and-a-half lull in the episodes appearing on HIDIVE may be partially to blame. Mostly, though, I think I just want more PICO and its silly takes on the Bandori franchise.

I feel this, but I feel that’s more with how HIDIVE’s scheduling was synced with the Japanese monthly BD (and their connected band single) releases. I think the anime is still currently (or just finished) airing weekly episodes in Japan?

I know RAS is supposed to be added to the mobage in June after this season was over, with some people in the fandom complaining that the new Morfonica got cards before the members of RAS despite RAS being a thing in the greater Bandori universe (as The Third being formed to play songs for the bands whose seiyuu couldn’t actually play their instruments live) for a year and a half going now.
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
As game player... I'd agree that pushing stuff from game into series didn't work that well in S2 (even if Hello, Happy World episode was my favorite).
So they made right choice by reducing it in S3, even if there is a lot of stuff from players to enjoy - most notably way Sayo acted in it. Looking how far she has gone from her jerkass early days to now, was super sweet.

Also I loved ending montage - every other band playing to huge audience and here is HHW having time of their life with bunch of kindergarteners.
I look forward to RAS being added, Chu2 being pissed by Kaoru calling her "kitten" and declaring that she's going to beat them up.
And on the verge of victory she would realize that her being happy about it, means that HHW has already won.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
Season 2's Hello Happy World episode was pretty wonderful, it basically transformed the main series into insane Garupa Pico shenanigans. It would take a remarkably strong dramatic season to convince me it was worth sacrificing the chance at more like that... which is what Season 3 achieved, to my extreme surprise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Sure Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1