• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Plans Season 2, Teases Yoko Kanno's Music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
I still wanna know who they're getting to play the three old guys. Might I suggest Donald Sutherland, James Earl Jones, and Gene Hackman?
Kuma602

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:29 am Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
I still wanna know who they're getting to play the three old guys. Might I suggest Donald Sutherland, James Earl Jones, and Gene Hackman?

They couldn't even cast Spike properly, no way are they gonna have such amazing casting like that for characters that barely appear. Great suggestion though.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:

Gene Hackman hasn't worked in, like, a decade. Unless they plan on paying him hundred million dollars for a few minutes of work, I don't think they're gonna get him out of retirement.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
Well Yoko Kanno is one way to get me to actually watch it
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two? They did this without seeing the reception AND after the mess that was the Death Note adaptation? Sigh. Can we please let fantastic animation stay animated? I don't understand how they plan to keep the sense of style Cowboy Bebop has in live action, as the aesethic was largely due to the art style... something realistic CGI can't mimick.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two? They did this without seeing the reception AND after the mess that was the Death Note adaptation? Sigh. Can we please let fantastic animation stay animated? I don't understand how they plan to keep the sense of style Cowboy Bebop has in live action, as the aesethic was largely due to the art style... something realistic CGI can't mimick.

You always plan ahead even if the show doesn’t get greenlit because you don’t want to be caught flat footed. So I presume any writer worth their salt has preliminary ideas for a second season just to show higher ups why the show should be renewed.

For all we know this cursed production gets shut down by COVID-19 halting productions and the studio cuts their losses.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Netflix are probably just paying for two season of episodes at once, like maybe they want 16 to 20 episodes. But they tend to run shows like these in sets of 8 to 10.

Cartoon Network for example doesn't give a shit about seasons or how many episodes make up a season they just order shows by episodes and CN can often take over a year to air one season of some of there shows.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh they got Kanno, I though she was retiring or at least moving on to other stuff.
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two?

Nearly every Netflix produced show gets at least two seasons. It's automatic.

The way to figure out if a show is actually successful or not is whether it gets a third.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Kumakiv wrote:
They couldn't even cast Spike properly, no way are they gonna have such amazing casting like that for characters that barely appear. Great suggestion though.

Netflix casting is a meme for a reason.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with Spike. Not my #1 choice, but still. The one I do have a problem with is Jet. There is no other actor who could carry off a live-action Jet Black like Ron Perlman.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well if Kanno is involved I'll probably be checking this out regardless of how it turns out
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
Quote:
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two?

Nearly every Netflix produced show gets at least two seasons. It's automatic.

The way to figure out if a show is actually successful or not is whether it gets a third.

V Wars didn’t but no one was really watching that anyway.

It’s just common sense to prepare for another season unless it’s the last. And as it stands, there’s no real reason to go longer than 26 episodes anyhow.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

Cartoon Network for example doesn't give a shit about seasons or how many episodes make up a season they just order shows by episodes and CN can often take over a year to air one season of some of there shows.

I don't think this is at all accurate. Everything i've seen produced by CN starts as a soft 6-pack then if that's recieved they order a full season of episodes (12) and renew after that.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that they got Yoko back. I wonder if the the Japanese dub will bring the original cast like they did with the Ghost in the Shell live-action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2