• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Rock Site Shuts Down With Launch of INKR Comics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
While they are trying to do the right thing their iOS beta app doesn’t work because Apple when you try to open it you get a message of “untrusted” and is blocking its use.
toprak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
We are really going to new era.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion, I like unofficial translations than official translations, including *ugh* VIZ.

VIZ translations on WSJ mangas are not just mostly inaccurate but they're making their own word choices, censored curse words and it doesn't use honorifics. In One Piece VIZ version, they cenosred not just "Zolo" instead "Zoro", they using a word "Curses" instead "Crap", it sounds unnatural and even unrealistic. In unnoficial version, instead "Curses" it's actually a "Sh*t". In English subs on OP anime, it use a word "Sh*t" instead "Curses". How ironic.

Word choices on One Piece VIZ version are bothers me. Same with MHA("old bastard" in unofficial vs. "old fart" in official"). And VIZ even censored "Pig Assault" in KNY manga. (In English subs on anime, "Pig Assault" isn't censored) Ironically, it's OK to use a word "Crap" in some VIZ translated WSJ mangas and in recent Boruto chapter, it's OK to use a word "Bastard" in VIZ version but in MHA it isn't. I feel like VIZ is ruining their translations and word choices.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
It's funny that I wouldn't bought most of my manga without pirating them first.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Unpopular opinion, I like unofficial translations than official translations, including *ugh* VIZ.

VIZ translations on WSJ mangas are not just mostly inaccurate but they're making their own word choices, censored curse words and it doesn't use honorifics. In One Piece VIZ version, they cenosred not just "Zolo" instead "Zoro", they using a word "Curses" instead "Crap", it sounds unnatural and even unrealistic. In unnoficial version, instead "Curses" it's actually a "Sh*t". In English subs on OP anime, it use a word "Sh*t" instead "Curses". How ironic.

Word choices on One Piece VIZ version are bothers me. Same with MHA("old bastard" in unofficial vs. "old fart" in official"). And VIZ even censored "Pig Assault" in KNY manga. (In English subs on anime, "Pig Assault" isn't censored) Ironically, it's OK to use a word "Crap" in some VIZ translated WSJ mangas and in recent Boruto chapter, it's OK to use a word "Bastard" in VIZ version but in MHA it isn't. I feel like VIZ is ruining their translations and word choices.

To be fair, those unofficial translations are just interpreting them are swear words - there isn't really isn't a proper equivalent in Japanese. And from what I've observed, only kids stuff or series that have been running so long they can't make significant changes don't use honorifics.
I own some awful official translations, not gonna lie ("zarlburg alchemist" comes to mind), but all of them are really old. Comparing with my JP copies, new releases have been consistently good. Only thing you might be able to complain a bit about is title changes, but they do tend to make more sense or better reflect what the story's about in English (31 I-dream -> Idol Dreams, or Sayonara Mini-Skirt -> Not Your Idol).

I've read lots of unofficial translations that have completely incorrectly interpreted whole scenes of text, making them mean something different.

Anyway, partnering with Tokyopop is what's important to note here! That's very exciting. We might finally get our 'crunchyroll for manga' (but done properly, unlike crunchyroll's actual manga service).
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

I don't think that's very unpopular at all. Most fan wikis usually use the fan translated terms with the official English terms being a footnote on the page.

Viz does have a habit of toning down swears. Probably done to keep a kids rating. I remember they translated the swears in Reborn to things like "Holy ham on rye with kraut!"
kpossibles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
For anyone reading the poorly done INKR version of Battle Through the Heavens, may I suggest reading the good release done by Webnovel? You can really see the difference in quality. FYI sometimes a relicense of an already released Chinese title means that it's done by a completely different team. 15 chapters are free to read with an account on Webnovel, with 237 chapters fully out. In comparison, there's less available on INKR.

https://www.webnovel.com/comic/13741824806105701
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

If you think the unofficial translations are always correct you are dead wrong. Viz is not censoring swear words the unofficial versions are just adding swears because they feel like it. Japanese dosen't really have swear words, so when a character is angry at someone and you see them say " you ba#t%rd!" for example, in the actual Japanese they are usually just saying "You" in a less polite way. Sometimes a translation will use swears to get the point of the character being rude or angry across and sometimes they will use something else, the correct choice usually depends on the context but a lot of the time neither choice is wrong just different.

Anyway, Viz isn't some evil entity trying to ruin manga by censoring it they're just translating things in the way they think is best. Viz is by no means perfect with their translations, but the unofficial translations aren't perfect either and are often times much worse. All you can really do is hope for the best or learn Japanese, but if I had to pick between official or unofficial English translations I would pick official every time unless someone knowledgeable about Japanese and English told me that the series in question was translated like garbage.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I don't think that's very unpopular at all. Most fan wikis usually use the fan translated terms with the official English terms being a footnote on the page.

Viz does have a habit of toning down swears. Probably done to keep a kids rating. I remember they translated the swears in Reborn to things like "Holy ham on rye with kraut!"

The bigger problem is them abridging dialogue, like in HxH. I own both the English and Japanese volumes of HxH for this very reason. I was amazed at some of the stuff that got cut. It changes the tone of some important scenes.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
It's funny that I wouldn't bought most of my manga without pirating them first.

Yep I'm in much the same boat, I honestly had hoped they would just include a monthly payment system and partner officially with the providers similar to netflix or crunchyroll.
Cave

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

To be fair, those unofficial translations are just interpreting them are swear words - there isn't really isn't a proper equivalent in Japanese. And from what I've observed, only kids stuff or series that have been running so long they can't make significant changes don't use honorifics.
I own some awful official translations, not gonna lie ("zarlburg alchemist" comes to mind), but all of them are really old. Comparing with my JP copies, new releases have been consistently good.

Yeah, this. As people have said, Japanese doesn't really have swear words (usually when you hear censored words, they are ecchi words, not swears).

Quote:
For anyone reading the poorly done INKR version of Battle Through the Heavens, may I suggest reading the good release done by Webnovel? You can really see the difference in quality. FYI sometimes a relicense of an already released Chinese title means that it's done by a completely different team. 15 chapters are free to read with an account on Webnovel, with 237 chapters fully out. In comparison, there's less available on INKR.

Oof. That is cringe. I don't understand why quality issues are still such an issue in this day and age. Sad Like CR manga........ ugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1