• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount, Hasbro Develop Animated Transformers Prequel Film With Toy Story 4 Director

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Obligatory take influence from the IDW comics when looking for narrative inspiration please and thank you statement.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
Oh my God they are finally doing it.

Damn and after so much wanting from the fans.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
This was unexpected, I really liked Ant-Man & the Wasp and Toy Story 4 was a good movie, so this is good news for the Transformers film franchise, I just hope this is as good as Bumblebee was because that movie was really good, unlike the other 5 movies that were directed by Michael Bay.
I wonder if the decision of making an animated movie was due to the critical success of Spider-Verse. If that's the case, it would be cool if the animation is stylized to look like the G1 series.
Also, they should make a Beast Wars movie as well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
Obligatory take influence from the IDW comics when looking for narrative inspiration please and thank you statement.

Those comics tanked after a while.
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
micah007 wrote:

I won't completely disagree. I started to fall out after the Revolution crossover but I recently started to re-read the line from the beginning. The start and middle periods have interesting ideas (Cybertron being taken off the board in a way that was beyond "we need the Allspark to fix it", brutal/bloody interstellar war, unheard of characters given the spotlight, transformers societal concepts, Wreckers, ect...) that I personally wouldn't mind seeing implemented.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
As long as Micheal Bay isn't involved, I'm all for it.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:

I'd much rather them take ideas from Exodus and Exiles to be honest. The IDW run butchered some of my favorite characters.

spoiler[The big one being turning Star Saber into a religious zealot instead of his usual portrayal as basically being the complete opposite. ]
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
2020 and still trying to play catch up to the 1986 animated film.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

The quality kind of ebbed and flowed for me. I disliked the All Hail Megatron stuff, loved everything from The Death of Optimus Prime til the end of Dark Cybertron, and didn't care much for any of Barber's stuff that was set on Earth (aside from a few of the Thundercracker stories). All of the Revolution/Revolutionaries/First Strike/Visionaries stuff just felt like a big mess of tie-ins. I know that some people disliked the direction that Lost Light went, but personally I enjoyed everything Roberts contributed to the franchise.

I really enjoyed reading the first year of post-relaunch stories, although they definitely feel like they are missing some indiscernible factor that really drew me to titles like Last Stand of the Wreckers, Barber's leadup to Dark Cybertron, or More Than Meets The Eye.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
micah007 wrote:

I'd much rather them take ideas from Exodus and Exiles to be honest. The IDW run butchered some of my favorite characters.

spoiler[The big one being turning Star Saber into a religious zealot instead of his usual portrayal as basically being the complete opposite. ]

From what I read about him, his original portrayal was just “Bigger Optimus”.

So I guess it was either do something bland or do something different with him.

The movie will most likely take at least some influence from the IDW comics since those comics have been influencing the wider franchise since the acclaim of several specific runs.

Last edited by Scion Drake on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Revolution is admittedly what put the final nail in the coffin for me. Forgiving that ROM and the Micronauts had all their classic stories as part of the Marvel Universe, the properties were oil and water, and no amount of corporate synergy was going to change that. It also completely ruined GI Joe, but that franchise has had one hell of a ride from its height in the 80’s till now.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not huge fan redos. I just hope this is decent take on the Transformers. Some of the American recent series left me cold.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:

I'd rather they make the movie good, which is a bit hard if you're gonna use IDW's books as a base Razz

Wrangler wrote:
I'm not huge fan redos. I just hope this is decent take on the Transformers. Some of the American recent series left me cold.

Depends how Hasbro feels, usually. They can do well when they want to, but when they want to just phone it in, it shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1