• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pokémon: Twilight Wings English Release Should Credit the Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is starting to get in on this too. One of their anime, Somali and the Forest Spirit, just wrapped up its English dub after a delay, but we only know a couple of roles that were named, namely the two main characters and a few side characters, and nobody else in the cast has been announced.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
One thing I appreciate about Sentai's dubcasts is that they do translated credits with the English side of it after the Japanese version like they would a home release.

Personally, I like being able to identify the actors I hear and have gotten very good at it because of seeing the credits after an episode so I can make a quick connection between voice and name. That is a lot harder to do where the credits list comes in the form of a tweet or something after the fact, and many of those leave out the names for small roles.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that already bothered me with Generations, really liked some of the sakuga in there and some of the new mixes of the game themes, but couldn't really find any credits until much later on some pokemon fansite.

But sadly the majority of anime fans probaby don't care about the credits, because they don't know any people anyways, except famous directors like Miyazaki or Anno.
There are even quite a few fansub groups who replace openings and endings with creditless BD bonus ones, because they see credits, especially if it's in japanese, just as dirt that obscures the OP/ED visuals...
When I tell them how respectless that is, I usually get dissed and called a freak because of how odd it apperantly is to actually look at the credits and recognize staff...

I draw my hat to any official or fan translation, that actually bothers to translate credits in order to properly give credits where credit is due.
ScarRedTiger

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Noticed this problem with One Piece now too. Season 10's credits are scaled way back now that Toei has assumed more direct control.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
While I do think that crediting in-show is important for the convenience of those watching, as long as the credits are made available to some degree overall, I'm content. That's one of the reasons this site exists, after all. Smile
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I prefer the credits to just be left in Japanese. I’m fine with English credits following but I don’t like it when they edit shows or movies. Funimation does this all of the time. Hell, the first Dragon Ball movie doesn’t even credit the Japanese staff!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Discrediting of the original Japanese staff is sadly, not a new practice when it comes to English localizations of anime.

It was a common practice for any anime picked up by Haim Saban's company in the 90s.

Is it disrespectful? Of course it is! But, when it comes the business of viewership in overseas markets, the line gets blurred very easily.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Discrediting of the original Japanese staff is sadly, not a new practice when it comes to English localizations of anime.

It was a common practice for any anime picked up by Haim Saban's company in the 90s.

Is it disrespectful? Of course it is! But, when it comes the business of viewership in overseas markets, the line gets blurred very easily.

I always saw that as trying to hide it's Japanese origins. There's a lot of people that think Pokemon is an American series. I assume Pokemon does it for the same reason they usually rename every character and make them American or whatever and remove all the Japanese stuff, to hide the fact it comes from Japan or is Japanese in any way.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
I always saw that as trying to hide it's Japanese origins. There's a lot of people that think Pokemon is an American series. I assume Pokemon does it for the same reason they usually rename every character and make them American or whatever and remove all the Japanese stuff, to hide the fact it comes from Japan or is Japanese in any way.

And that's the problem here: A Japanese show being passed off as an American show when it's not. It's misleading the audience and doing a massive disservice to the original staff. Even when I was a kid, I thought something was off from watching these kinds of shows. It just didn't seem to have a proper American flavor despite all the localization efforts that insisted otherwise.

If business moves like this are really meant to protect American exceptionalism in the face of children's entertainment, then maybe America needs to step up its own game instead of hiding behind foreign acquisitions and thinly-veiled localizations. It doesn't do any favors to either side in the long run.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Doesn't the Japanese already treat inbetweeners, especially those from outsourced studios, as persona non gratas 90% of the time? It feels like all the English distributors do is just intensify it by a lot more.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why when it happens these days, the Japanese are the ones to blame. As they're usually the ones who have to compile the original staff and cast credits for the English companies to work with.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
One thing I appreciate about Sentai's dubcasts is that they do translated credits with the English side of it after the Japanese version like they would a home release.

Personally, I like being able to identify the actors I hear and have gotten very good at it because of seeing the credits after an episode so I can make a quick connection between voice and name. That is a lot harder to do where the credits list comes in the form of a tweet or something after the fact, and many of those leave out the names for small roles.

Viewers tend to forget that a minute or two for end credits allocated in the original broadcast time won't provide enough time for EVERYBODY. We are spoiled by streaming.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Viewers tend to forget that a minute or two for end credits allocated in the original broadcast time won't provide enough time for EVERYBODY. We are spoiled by streaming.

Viewers only seem to care about bigger name people. I see a lot of people urging people to support Japanese animators through Japanese services like Fantia and MyPixivBox, but they only link to specific, big name and known directors and not all the grunt staff or other workers. Only those who make a name for themselves can get support or attention from the community
omiya

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Viewers only seem to care about bigger name people.

It's actually fun seeing how different staff worked in different anime - e.g. people who worked at Studio Ghibli and what else they worked on.

Or all the people who worked on music of anime - seiyuu, songwriters, lyricists, arrangers, producers, sountrack composers, musicians and singers.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Crunchyroll is starting to get in on this too. One of their anime, Somali and the Forest Spirit, just wrapped up its English dub after a delay, but we only know a couple of roles that were named, namely the two main characters and a few side characters, and nobody else in the cast has been announced.

O.K., unless an Eng. dub voice actor/actress asks that their names not be credited for whatever reasons, an official cast list should be given. Even if the cast list includes names that are or likely are aliases, at least we have a name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1