• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Unreal Life

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Yay maybe Nintendo could try getting somewhat functional netcode or making the other parts of nintendo online work with the major games that people bought nintendo switches for......
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for all the new Mario 64 renders in the new Unreal Engine with promises of what Mario could be like if it had competent developers Wink

Quote:
while other hotly-anticipated games like Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and the Breath of the Wild follow-up are still TBA.

You forgot SMT5 but that's alright, everyone else has including Atlus lol
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Yay maybe Nintendo could try getting somewhat functional netcode or making the other parts of nintendo online work with the major games that people bought nintendo switches for......

They’ll get around to that once they permanently solve the issue of drifting joy-cons and pro controllers.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

Would you rather have another "Winter 2014?"
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
I can't wait for all the new Mario 64 renders in the new Unreal Engine with promises of what Mario could be like if it had competent developers Wink

Quote:
while other hotly-anticipated games like Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and the Breath of the Wild follow-up are still TBA.

Mario games are actually programmed very well for the hardware they're on
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
-UE5: I remember people drooled over the UE4 tech demo back in the day too. And, going by history, this tech demo will also be forgotten considering how at the end of the day it's just a tech demo. It's not really gameplay so it's effectively meaningless.

-Inside XBox: Speaking of which, the industry continues to fail at addressing that gameplay is paramount.

-Nintendo: And they announced a new Paper Mario out in two months because Nintendo plays by its own rules. And considering the numbers New Horizons has done, they really don't need to change their tune anytime soon.

-Evo: This is going to be a disaster and everyone knows it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-UE5: I remember people drooled over the UE4 tech demo back in the day too. And, going by history, this tech demo will also be forgotten considering how at the end of the day it's just a tech demo. It's not really gameplay so it's effectively meaningless.

Yes, this is a tech demo. But there are plenty of games that can use this and still look as good as the demo. After all, they showed us a magical 'Lara Croft' in the demo.

The new long awaited Elder Scrolls game, the Thief series, the Assassins Creed series, and many more.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Yes, this is a tech demo. But there are plenty of games that can use this and still look as good as the demo. After all, they showed us a magical 'Lara Croft' in the demo.

The new long awaited Elder Scrolls game, the Thief series, the Assassins Creed series, and many more.

They will not; that tech demo is basically a "clean room version", as it's mostly just showing off graphics tech in a highly controlled environment. There are also no examples of AI, so the tech can work solely on rendering instead of anything more straining. It's basically a CG trailer with someone holding a controller.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Inject that THPS remake directly into my veins, please.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Recall 2012 Square Enix real-time tech demo "Agni's Philosophy"

"Latest Square Enix Tech Demo; Agni’s Philosophy Could Be What PS4 Graphics Look Like?"

"For those who played FF7R: did it match or surpass the Agni's Philosophy tech demo visually?"

Valhalla is one of the most encouraging signs of cross-gen gaming yet for the upcoming console. It'll support MS' Smart Delivery program for cross-gen games between XSX and XB1. (Presumably cross-save too, so technically one can start playing the game on XB1*, then after upgrading, continue playing on the better XSX version without having to pay again for the better version.)
Quote:
Smart Delivery is a free upgrade program that automatically upgrades owners who own the XB1 version of the game to the XSX version for free. (It also works the other way — buy the XSX version, and you’ll get the XB1 version too.) Effectively, it means that players will only ever need to buy a Smart Delivery game once, instead of buying separate copies to be able to play it on both consoles.

MS has already pledged that all its 1st-party games that support both consoles will get the feature, and CD Projekt Red has promised that the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 will get the free upgrade too. But Ubisoft’s support for the feature marks the biggest 3rd-party developer to jump on board.

That’s a very encouraging thing to see because Smart Delivery is optional: developers can give players the free upgrade, but they don’t have to. Ubisoft could have forced players to buy separate XB1 and XSX versions of Valhalla, like we saw with the cross-gen release of AC4: Black Flag on the X360 and XB1.

For now though, the free upgrade is just for XB1 / XSX. Sony hasn’t said that it’ll be offering free upgrades for cross-gen PS4 games to an enhanced PS5 version at this time (like having to buy The Last of Us PS3 version vs. PS4 version).

Sony could follow or choose to keep the PS4 and PS5 versions of cross-gen games like Valhalla or Cyberpunk separate if it wants. And that could force players to choose between a graphically-worse PS4 version that’s future-proof, or a PS5 version that won’t work on older hardware.

It’s likely a problem that won’t be relevant for too long. If past console generations are any indication, developers will eventually start shifting toward exclusively making games for the PS5 and XSX sooner than later. But it’s a problem that Microsoft is smartly avoiding by simply giving players the best experience for a given game no matter which console they own, instead of trying to squeak out a few more sales from having 2 copies of it.

But hopefully, now that Ubisoft and CD Projekt Red have gotten on board, other major developers — and perhaps even Sony — will continue to follow suit with free cross-gen upgrades too.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
- SNK x WWE: this was actually kinda of funny, I can't imagine how SNK managed to do this crossover, I know is only for some mobile game but it's cool to see SNK getting more attention, I just want to know more about KOF XV.
- UE5: I'm not very knowledgeable about how game engines work but that tech demo looked impressive but I know that sometimes tech demos are more like proof of concepts.
- Inside Xbox: yeah, this presentation was a bit boring. It's nice to see Microsoft working with so many Japanese developers but I don't think it will help with its business in Japan, and in my opinion most people who play japanese games tend to gravitate towards the PlayStation and Switch, but Xbox players deserve to play those games as well.
- Nintendo: even without the Covid situation it seems that this year was going to be weird for them, I just hope that the rumor about them not having a direct for June is false, even without the E3 I think it's important that they show something.
- THPS: now this was epic, I used to play 1 and 2 at my friend's house and 3 and 4 on my PS2, and this remake looks much better than the HD version and 5. Kind of odd that there's not a Switch version, I think it could work if they downgrade the graphics. It was also cool seeing people remembering the originals, though I don't understand some of the jokes about Tony Hawk, like there were some people that said they didn't know he was a real person, I hope they're just joking, I mean, he appeared as himself in various shows like the Simpsons Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

though I don't understand some of the jokes about Tony Hawk, like there were some people that said they didn't know he was a real person, I hope they're just joking, I mean, he appeared as himself in various shows like the Simpsons Laughing

Many younger players don't know what Madden in "Madden NFL" is, and that one is released every year! Laughing
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is coming back! It's a remake of THPS 1 & 2, so Activision can't screw it up too hard, right?

I hope THPS coming back succeeds, if only to convince EA they should pull the SSX franchise out of mothballs, after completely screwing it up with a joyless grimdark reboot back on the PS3.

Not that I want another reboot -- EA would just lard it down with microtransactions. Just port Tricky and SSX 3 to PS4 and Switch and I'm good.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
You were great on last week's "SmightTV Arcade Pit", Heidi! I loved your drawing of Simon Belmont whipping the Count from Sesame Street!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

though I don't understand some of the jokes about Tony Hawk, like there were some people that said they didn't know he was a real person, I hope they're just joking, I mean, he appeared as himself in various shows like the Simpsons Laughing

Many younger players don't know what Madden in "Madden NFL" is, and that one is released every year! Laughing

It helps that Tony Hawk has sort of ran with it, since he’s posted numerous encounters in public where people didn’t realize who he was (like when he rented a car and the rental place thought it was a prank). Nor does he demand to be recognized, instead taking it in stride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2